The online racing simulator
Professional racers who have played LFS?
I read a post in a flight sim forum the other day about a WWII pilot comparing a combat flight sim to real life combat.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any professional race drivers who have tried LFS? And what did they think?
i remember.. back when bilabong was a team, someone on their team was some formula racer.. cant remember, wanna say F3000, but i dont think that's right
Some names can be found here:

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=3783

.....and I think this thread does not mention Moby who races Formula Renault, GPunkt who is the German Rally Cross Champion and Mark Striper who got his cockpit in a Porsche for a 2006 endurance championship by racing GTR (but he also races LFS).....

There seem to be quite a few at least semi-professional race drivers

CU, Sebastian
#4 - Chaos
in the czech community we also have a professional racer who plays LFS... Jardier aka Jaroslav Honzik Jr. and he is pretty green too :alien2:
-
(HittiS) DELETED by HittiS
iirc LFS made norbi a real life racer

at least I have that kind picture for some reason.
That's also a rumour that "The Hamster" and "The Stig" from Top Gear frequent the servers every now and then!
I bet "The Stig" is for the addition of a cd/radio player in LFS cars
Quote from Thorvertonian :That's also a rumour that "The Hamster" and "The Stig" from Top Gear frequent the servers every now and then!

If that is true it would be awesome if they did some sort of review of LFS in typical top gear fashion
#9 - ORION
Arrechee is racing cart, and my team mate AudiRS6 is the cart slalom god
The amount of real racers is quite high
Is it just me that thinks the Stig is Damon Hill.
i thought the "stig" wasnt just one person, i think i read somewhere that the stig has been multiple people
you guys forget Nikemere, he has been a pro racer too
The stig isn't Damon Hill. I've met him on a conference once. He is a really nice bloke and had teh crowd in stiches when he did his dinner speech.

He did actually have a Formula 1 drive a while ago but the team went bust even after he paid his own way to the track . . .
Quote from HittiS :Robert Björkman aka Moby from SDRA - Swedish Digital Racing Association www.sdra.se has done carting, formula ford, formula renault .. hes also in the beta test group for LFS. What he thinks about LFS? Long version; ask him! Short version; hes loving it!

Do you have a link to somewhere where hes described his opinions, 'at length'. Or if not could you give us the jist of what he likes, doesnt like about the physics?
Thanks!
#15 - Jakg
Quote from speedykev :Is it just me that thinks the Stig is Damon Hill.

nope, was Perry McArthy, then he "died", now the stig is probably Ben [Damn! Cant remember the surname!]
Quote from Jakg :now
the stig is probably Ben [Damn! Cant remember the surname!]

... Collins
Quote from Jakg :nope, was Perry McArthy, then he "died", now the stig is probably Ben [Damn! Cant remember the surname!]

Ben Dover?

sry, couldnt resist.

One thing that I think is great about LFS is the ability is has to allow real life racers to show their skill on the PC, and LFS racers to translate their learned skills into real life racing.

Once you cover the basics in LFS and start doing some competitive races, your racecraft really picks up and makes you more aware of what real racers must do to hold off other drivers etc etc.

What I think would be interesting (i.e. for a TV show/Mag) was if two sets of racers swapped over from Sim racing to real racing. The aim would be to get within 5% of the lap time (or race time) of the native racers' times. I think it would work best if both sets of drivers were fresh to the other form of racing and were given the same ammount of time to familiarise themselves with their new racing setup.

Come on TopGear Sim Geeks vs. Real Racers!
it cant be damon hill, remember.. when they had damon on the show he and also nigel mansell had a weird line compared to the stigs
The Stig is Nicholas Minassian
-
(HittiS) DELETED by HittiS
Well to explain this at lenght would require alot of time. I will try and give the short version of this.

Lfs is the closest simulator to real racing as you can get today, but there are a few things that is not good at all/ or not implemented yet in the pyhsics engine that is essential to really complete the picture. If you take away tire, aero and the non existent undertray pyshics in the game. I would say they are pretty much spot on. Reactions to setup changes is overall very good, and that is something lfs developers should be very proud over, since it is difficult to get a real car to react correctly to setup changes.

Then there is better cars and worse cars in the game aswell. The worst car would be FZ50 and the two best car in my opinion that is closest to reality is FXO and FOX. However I belive that when tire pyshics gets done properly all cars will get alot better. I think that FXO and FOX just overcomes the difficulties of undertray, aero and tire pyshics better then the other cars right now.

The basic psyhic engine in Lfs is the best by far. Atleast that´s what I think. When all parts fall into place i´m sure no other game will beat it for a long time to come, atleast when it comes psyhics.

Regards
SDRA|Moby
#22 - arco
i take part in the rounds i can afford of the bemsee 400SS class, but that purely amatuer and its on bikes...so it dont really count i guess.
Tristan wrote in the Vienna Show thread that some Lotus Caterham driver tested LFS. IIRC he complained about the lack of grip.

Quote from noemfie :If that is true it would be awesome if they did some sort of review of LFS in typical top gear fashion

No it wouldn't. They cannot compare LFS to anything because it doesn't have real cars or tracks. They would just bash it.
No, he didn't complain about the "lack of grip", as there is no lack of grip. He said it was a lot harder without feeling the car, excenuating the limits and making it easier to spin. He didn't really mind the low speed grip problem as he wasn't going slow enough to notice it (you don't at Blackwood).

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG