The online racing simulator
Validate Demo Usernames
(19 posts, started )
Validate Demo Usernames
I think there needs to be some kind of protection in the demo username system to stop people from creating so many usernames.

There are people in my database that have about 20-30 different usernames,

Eample format:
Myusername1
Myusername2
Myusername3

it makes it near impossible to ban someone from a demo server, the only way to do so is to add a partial ban system into my own insim application.
Creating a demo account requires a fresh email address, so it makes the process a bit more difficult for people who have had their earlier accounts banned. But I can't see any validation method that would keep the multiple account people away - Myusername1 could then make a new account called Anotherusername..

I'm afraid there's no easy way out of some demo users being stupid. Make the server S2 and it all starts to make sense
Besides, it could be considered an advantage to the devs that demo servers are full of imbeciles (generalization, sorry). It pushes the people who really like the game to buy S2. One could argue that some people will be taken aback by the behavior of demo users, and will thus be reluctant to buy S2, but it's not too hard to find out that people on S2 servers are for the most part more mature. Either they will be told so by people on demo users that actually have the license, or they will come on these forums where they will be told the same.
Quote from Huru-aito :Creating a demo account requires a fresh email address, so it makes the process a bit more difficult for people who have had their earlier accounts banned. But I can't see any validation method that would keep the multiple account people away - Myusername1 could then make a new account called Anotherusername..

http://10minutemail.com/ and other services like this one and you can make new account in few seconds :/
The only protection from demo players is to drive on S1/S2 hosts.
Quote from Huru-aito :Creating a demo account requires a fresh email address, so it makes the process a bit more difficult for people who have had their earlier accounts banned. But I can't see any validation method that would keep the multiple account people away - Myusername1 could then make a new account called Anotherusername..

Quote from Simpson :http://10minutemail.com/ and other services like this one and you can make new account in few seconds

there are ways around that... one account per email address, and blocking certain domains from registering accounts... on the other hand, you can't quite block something like gmail...
Only way to figure out would to get users to voluntarily install a piece of software, a system file or something that only connects to LFS and blocks you from making more than, say 2 accounts.
Imo the registration has to be made in the LFS itself instead of in a site. Then add some code to detect the HD serial number.. afaik it changes only when you format your HD, but there could be programs for that.. anyway it will keep a lot of the people from doing multiple accounts, since it's not really worth changing your HD serial number every time you make a new account. I have really seen a source code for getting the serial number of all the HD drives you have, and it was really working.

I'm sure you can get some information of the PC that would be even harder to change than the HD serial number.

Just my 2 euro cents.
#8 - Jakg
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Only way to figure out would to get users to voluntarily install a piece of software, a system file or something that only connects to LFS and blocks you from making more than, say 2 accounts.

Constant running bloatware?

Bye LFS.
1 account per IP address?
#10 - Jakg
Seeing as the username system was to stop the problem with people getting a new IP I can't see that helping.
Quote from Weasley123 :1 account per IP address?

With 50%+ on the internet with dynamic IPs I don't think it's the best solution.
The LFS site could deny registering accounts with temporary email addresses. That would help.
Quote from Bob Smith :The LFS site could deny registering accounts with temporary email addresses. That would help.

every little bit helps, but it's not an end-all solution.

I'm afraid there's no easy way out of some demo users being stupid. Make the server S2 and it all starts to make sense

Quote from Bob Smith :The LFS site could deny registering accounts with temporary email addresses. That would help.

Well , sound good , but still , they are like 100+ web that create a temporal email that pass the 10 minutes , destroy the mail or so

I think they are not solution for this problem , that the diferense from Demo to a s2 user...
Quote from Jakg :Constant running bloatware?

Bye LFS.

No, it'd simply be a small file, under 100kbs and would only be accessed when a user tried to make a new account. It'd see that the user had made an account beforehand and would restrict them doing so. It would also allow a new user to create an account but consequently would place said file on the users PC, with their permission, of course.
it loud be great to deny 2 accounts with the same IP adress
delete usernames again.. so than in older times..

that would be good

PLZ visit my link
plz how can i buy s2 license send me on privte or in my email

hajwla@Live.com
You can go to www.lfs.net and purchase one there. There are many payment methods avalible to suit your needs.

Validate Demo Usernames
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG