The online racing simulator
Quote from bbman :I'm not too fond of this resetting-rule exception either... :/

And if there would be just two, who finish the race, so what? Maybe then they will TAKE CARE for once! I'm saying that, being one that might not finish, but then, it's bad luck... I know, there'll be resetting frenzy now, on EVERY race, not just the last few pools...

"Whoops, I crashed into the wall and flipped my car... But hey, I don't care, 'cause I can just reset and go on! Wohoo!"

Sorry, but I think this is the worst exception to the rules you can possibly make...

I dont suppose there will be much resetting! Nobody wants to reset. That means that you are stuck and already lost a lot of time. The 'no-reset-rule' was there only to give some realistic feeling. In a cart you can use the Fred Flintstone method to get going again. This is simulated in this race by allowing the reset option.
#52 - Z0iC
With no pits to go repair damage and quite a narrow track to keep driving around with a damaged car, is it allowed to park the car in one of the run off areas and wait untill others have driven to the finish, and then limp around the track to finish the race and get the points?

With run off areas I mean like before turning up into the highway, on the right there is an area where you could safely park your car and wait. Other places like before the last corner on the right, and after the long left hander on the left. Probably best place on the main straight a bit before the finish line, on both sides of the track in the crossroads.
Quote from Z0iC :With no pits to go repair damage and quite a narrow track to keep driving around with a damaged car, is it allowed to park the car in one of the run off areas and wait untill others have driven to the finish, and then limp around the track to finish the race and get the points?

Quote from OLFSL rules: If your vehicle should become inoperable due to flipping onto its roof, getting stuck in sand, being highsided on a guardrail, etc etc, you may not reset the car. You may choose to go into Spectate mode without penalty, which is also recommended if your car is flipped over in or near the driving line.

Now we've allowed resetting in this event, but all other rules remain in full effect. Therefore I'd say if your car is so heavily damaged that you can't drive it without possibly causing an accident, spectate.

#54 - Z0iC
What I mean is, if you damage your car, but can still drive it.

Could you drive to one of those spots, well off the driving line and in no way interfering with the race. And just waiting there untill others have driven to the finish so you can cross the finish line and recieving the points for position on the track, rather than spectate and get a DNF.
Quote from Z0iC :What I mean is, if you damage your car, but can still drive it.

Could you drive to one of those spots, well off the driving line and in no way interfering with the race. And just waiting there untill others have driven to the finish so you can cross the finish line and recieving the points for position on the track, rather than spectate and get a DNF.

Parking is not allowed. If your car is damaged, but you can still drive it without causing accidents, you're allowed to do so but if it's disrupting the race AT ALL, you must spectate. If you don't, it will be considered unsportsmanlike behaviour (which is in OLFSL rules).

In extreme situations the host has the right to force a racer to spectate if he refuses to do so himself. This is valid in every OLFSL race so it's not a change of any kind.
Driving to the pits with a damaged car happened a lot of times during the LFS races. Did I read that in this race it is forbidden to use the pit? In my opinion you should allow people to wait off track for all the others to finish and then they are allowed to join the track at the remaining race speed, wreck speed that is .
Quote from HeerBommel :Driving to the pits with a damaged car happened a lot of times during the LFS races. Did I read that in this race it is forbidden to use the pit? In my opinion you should allow people to wait off track for all the others to finish and then they are allowed to join the track at the remaining race speed, wreck speed that is .

Using the pit would be allowed, but in case you haven't noticed.. there is no pit.

Personally I have a problem with giving points for the full race if people park the car somewhere and limp across the finish line after everyone else has finished.. That's not fair. Everyone else complete all laps and get the same points as the person who parked the car and waited. Not gonna happen on my watch, sorry.

This has been decided by the OLFSL Staff and it will not change, like it or not
#58 - Z0iC
Quote from Mrs FienDi :Parking is not allowed. If your car is damaged, but you can still drive it without causing accidents, you're allowed to do so but if it's disrupting the race AT ALL, you must spectate. If you don't, it will be considered unsportsmanlike behaviour (which is in OLFSL rules).

In extreme situations the host has the right to force a racer to spectate if he refuses to do so himself. This is valid in every OLFSL race so it's not a change of any kind.

I don't see how a car stopped out of sight and out of the track is disturbing anybody and so on.. but if no parking allowed is your ruling, ok. Mayby write it in the rules then too. To make the matter simple and clear, and not simply a vague mention about disturbance

EDIT:

Slightly OT, but kind of relates to this matter. Currently if you get a disco in the middle of a race, that is it, you are completely wiped out of the results even if it happens 1m before you cross the finish line on the last lap.

As an example the Aston GP race we had, my computer crashed when I was in the lead on the last lap, and I only get the 30 points for a DNF. What would happen in a real race, would be that I'd be still scored for the final results(if the car broke or something), and everybody on the same lap and 1 lap behind would be of course scored finishing ahead of me while I get whatever points for that position(exception being Le Mans for example, but that is a special case). For that Aston GP race, I would have scored being 10th, and 71 points.

Anyway, just something I thought I'd bring up
Quote from Z0iC :I don't see how a car stopped out of sight and out of the track is disturbing anybody and so on..

Would you want to race a full race and finish with style and then get exactly the same points as the guy who raced only 30-50% of the race? I wouldn't. I don't see the point in racing a full race if you can get the points by parking and waiting as long as you remember to cross the finish line after everyone else.. If I'm missing something here, please explain?

The car itself doesn't disturb the race, unless there are many of them: then we might see some serious lag problems.
This event is in no way normal, and this matter had not been discussed before so when you asked this, I had to go talk to other staff members and ask their opinion about this. We had a long talk and this is what we agreed to do.
#60 - Z0iC
There always could be a rule that you have to drive certain percentage of the race distance to be scored in the final results. I know this is common in the real racing world, and in quite many sim racing series I have driven in.

Although this is something to consider more in the longer events rather than these sprints.

I do understand your point about this issue, just wanted to discuss it abit
Quote from Z0iC :There always could be a rule that you have to drive certain percentage of the race distance to be scored in the final results.

We'll keep it in mind for the next season
Quote from Mrs FienDi :Using the pit would be allowed, but in case you haven't noticed.. there is no pit.

I thought that the pit is were you end when you press shift-S to enter the pit .

Isn't this the pit but some inferno? Now I know for sure that my decision to retire is a good choice. I will examine my life and try to learn from it.
Quote from Mrs FienDi :Would you want to race a full race and finish with style and then get exactly the same points as the guy who raced only 30-50% of the race? I wouldn't. I don't see the point in racing a full race if you can get the points by parking and waiting as long as you remember to cross the finish line after everyone else.. If I'm missing something here, please explain?

The car itself doesn't disturb the race, unless there are many of them: then we might see some serious lag problems.
This event is in no way normal, and this matter had not been discussed before so when you asked this, I had to go talk to other staff members and ask their opinion about this. We had a long talk and this is what we agreed to do.

I have to dissagree with you on this and post #57. It happens in real life and it should happen here without penalty also.
Many real racing series give the drivers/teams the points for their placing no matter if they finish or not.

There is a pit lane that you start from on this track and if you parked there you will not get work or fuel but you are out of the way of others racing. People who's systems cause lag will cause lag no matter where they are on the track.

Remember this is a simulator and game and the main goal is for pleasure. That said, it is also not the end of the world if it is just a bad race for someone and they get no points.
Quote from nmanley :Remember this is a simulator and game and the main goal is for pleasure.

So why are you all trying to push us to use some real life things here? You said it yourself, this is a simulator!

Anyway I'm not the only one responsible for these decisions. Me and FienDi prefer democracy, and that is why we ask other staff members instead of making the decisions without them. And like most others, this was a staff decision as well, made by 4 staff members. The reset thing was a decision made by 5 staff members.
Quote from nmanley :I have to dissagree with you on this and post #57. It happens in real life and it should happen here without penalty also.
Many real racing series give the drivers/teams the points for their placing no matter if they finish or not.

That would be good for Kimi, let's send this as an improvement suggestion. Give points also to racers & team that don't finish the race. What racing series are you talking about, by the way? I don't have knowledge about such...

Quote from nmanley :There is a pit lane that you start from on this track and if you parked there you will not get work or fuel but you are out of the way of others racing. People who's systems cause lag will cause lag no matter where they are on the track.

Yes, there's a pit lane. No you can't pit in it. So it's no good for pitting right? It doesn't matter whatever you call it, if one can't get fuel / damage fixed there. And there are far more safer places to park your vehicle on that track than the main straight.

About the lag.. first thing is to separate lag issues (severe delays in connection) and low fps issues (frames per second). I don't know how much lag the parking could cause, but ppl with a bit older hardware could suffer from low fps. Have you ever tried playing LFS (or any other game in that matter) with rates as low as 10-16? If your answer is yes, you know that it really affect your performance - especially in fast paced city track like this and fast & small car like MRT. And that will cause danger to other racers too.

Therefore, in my opinion, it is justified to keep the track clear from wrecked vehicles.

Quote from nmanley :Remember this is a simulator and game and the main goal is for pleasure. That said, it is also not the end of the world if it is just a bad race for someone and they get no points.

It's great to hear that you think it like this. However we are all individuals with opinions sometimes differering greatly from others. What I'm after here is that what is not end of the world for you, might be just it for someone else. We at OLFSL try our best to deliver fun for all, and that means we have to be open for all opinions.
The Number 1 reason for not wanting parked cars, no matter how far off the race line is.......LAG

All we need is 5 guys wrecked and in some parking lot and then WHAM a lag spike that takes out half the field.

But this is just MHO.

Lets let common sense prevail, Most if not all OLFS drivers will not have a problem with this slight adjustment to the rules.

"Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel"

See yah Sunday
Quote from varjsa-9 :That would be good for Kimi, let's send this as an improvement suggestion. Give points also to racers & team that don't finish the race. What racing series are you talking about, by the way? I don't have knowledge about such...

Yes, there's a pit lane. No you can't pit in it. So it's no good for pitting right? It doesn't matter whatever you call it, if one can't get fuel / damage fixed there. And there are far more safer places to park your vehicle on that track than the main straight.

About the lag.. first thing is to separate lag issues (severe delays in connection) and low fps issues (frames per second). I don't know how much lag the parking could cause, but ppl with a bit older hardware could suffer from low fps. Have you ever tried playing LFS (or any other game in that matter) with rates as low as 10-16? If your answer is yes, you know that it really affect your performance - especially in fast paced city track like this and fast & small car like MRT. And that will cause danger to other racers too.

Therefore, in my opinion, it is justified to keep the track clear from wrecked vehicles.

It's great to hear that you think it like this. However we are all individuals with opinions sometimes differering greatly from others. What I'm after here is that what is not end of the world for you, might be just it for someone else. We at OLFSL try our best to deliver fun for all, and that means we have to be open for all opinions.

Are you saying that I don't have the right to dissagree with you with out you getting upset. I sure hope not because that not my intentions.

I should have not said this "I have to dissagree with you on this and post #57." I should have said I dissagree with the staff decision. Please accept my apology for my incorret statment. I did not mean and would not mean to insult you or anyones opinion as long as they do the same for mine.

Quote : What racing series are you talking about, by the way? I don't have knowledge about such...

I said
Quote :Many real racing series give the drivers/teams the points for their placing no matter if they finish or not.

NASCAR (all series of this), World Rally, IMSA GTP/GT, World Sports car, Indy 500. There are many and I totally understand the decesion as it has been explained in you last post.
I also agree that you should run the event as your staff agree's. I just voiced my opinion. I can live with yours, no problem.
well I would consider waiting off track to cross the line later on to be unsportsmanlike (& unsportswomanlike for any girl racers).

Also there is a distraction factor to take into account here, no matter if you believe the place you are waiting is safe, the game will produce the yellow flag because you are stationary, it is not fair for other drivers to have to drive through a yellow flag zone for many laps becasue someone wants to do this, firstly it will cause drivers to slow when they don't need to and it will affect overtaking manouvers because for many laps there could be yellow flags in a great overtaking position and because of someone waiting the yellow flag rule means drivers cannot overtake there.

I'm not aware of any real life racing that allows this, if you have a damaged car that is serious enough to make you pull to the side then I believe it comes under the black flag rule and I will give anyone doing this and refusing to either carry on or spectate a black flag.
Quote : it is not fair for other drivers to have to drive through a yellow flag zone for many laps becasue someone wants to do this

Very true and a good point.
Quote from nmanley :Are you saying that I don't have the right to dissagree with you with out you getting upset.

No he's not saying that.
Ok, Thank you.
Quote from nmanley :Are you saying that I don't have the right to dissagree with you with out you getting upset. I sure hope not because that not my intentions.

No no no.. I didn't mean that at all. It might be because my english isn't that good, but I didn't mean to sound like I was upset - and I am not

Quote from nmanley :NASCAR (all series of this), World Rally, IMSA GTP/GT, World Sports car, Indy 500. There are many and I totally understand the decesion as it has been explained in you last post.

I hope you didn't get me wrong with this.. I was just interested about what series do it like that. Sounds a little weird to me though - that one can score points without even finishing the race I assume the points are then reduced, like points * ( driven laps / total laps ) = total points. Or something like this ?
I'm very happy. I did not understand. I try to keep in mind that LFS is a world wide group of people.

Those series are real race series or events and since they have much money involved and large expense to compete they must distribute the money and points thru the field of racers to keep them and their sponsors competing.
Thankfully our hobby "LFS" is much more affordable.
That didn't last long, clipped the curb on the outside of the last corner and demolished my suspension :doh:
I survived the SO Sprint1
Whoa that was some interesting race at least in pool 5
After the race started people started also dropping off. I spinned maybe two times , but I was still able to continue. So from 3rd starting position I finished 2nd even that I had some issues with my gas pedal
But after all it was whole lot of fun. I just wish there could have been more racers left until the end.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG