The online racing simulator
Tom Clancy's Hawx Game
(38 posts, started )
Tom Clancy's Hawx Game
I saw the advert for this game on tv today, downloaded the demo but it's all in aeroplanes and really boring. Has anyone got any further on the demo or even got the game to tell me if there is any land-based play on there too?

Thanks
Courty
Saw the ad earlier too, it looks really good. I do think it's all airborne though:

Quote from Wiki :Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. ("High Altitude Warfare eXperimental squadron")[3] is an upcoming combat flight simulator video game

Quote from Courty334 :I saw the advert for this game on tv today, downloaded the demo but it's all in aeroplanes and really boring. Has anyone got any further on the demo or even got the game to tell me if there is any land-based play on there too?

Thanks
Courty

It's an air combat game, of course there's no land based stuff.
Woooooooooooooo !

Prize idiot award for the OP ! Ofcourse its all aircraft based, it wasn't called "Hawx" (which is an utterly sh*te name !) for nothing !
Simulator? This is 100% arcade, even on the hardest setting it's hard to crash, and you enduce stalls and "drift" your plane to avoid missiles. Calling it a simulator is worse than calling Pacman a sim. It's an okay game, nothing special, definately nowhere near a flight simulator, it's not even semi-sim.
i unlocked the harrier and i thought it would of been better than first plane but it aint the first plane ftw
so its afterburner for those unworthy of playing the original?
Played a demo of it, it's so-so. Wouldn't buy it - Rent it, though.
its really f*cking great game! sad the ''realism mod'' is on bad camera so you cant use it on cocpit cam... but i like the game, ive got all three planes in the demo. and one thing i like theres voice commands. say radar and the rarad pops in front of u. say shoot and it shoots and lots of else
Played the demo, and I still prefer Ace Combat 6
Quote from danowat :Played the demo, and I still prefer Ace Combat 6

Same.

Besides a simply better flight model, Ace Combat 6 just has the cheese factor that makes it so much better.

The strength of HawX is supposedly in its 3rd person side/view thingy, but although that looks really awesome it's about as intuitive as holding the joypad upside-down. I got a smile when I first backflipped a plane into what looks to be a 30g+ turn in order to come up behind another plane and volley 2 missiles into his back, but most of the time it just seems like blind luck because of the odd controls.

In basic control mode, the plane goes from side-to-side when pushing left/right, and up or down when pushing down/up, so there's no rolling involved. To me this felt incredibly difficult for manouvering because I'm used to rolling a plane to its side, then pulling back for a quick turn, but this just causes the plane to go up again in basic control mode.

Advanced control mode does have the regular rolling and pitching, but it feels immensely wobbly as it's hard to keep track of the enemy plane(s) and their missiles, all the while keeping a close eye on your own plane so you don't over-roll and end up diving straight into the ground when pitching to turn.

I'm sure with more than 30 minutes of playtime I could master the funky dogfight-view and have lots of fun, but the basic flight-model (rear-view) is still very meh. The planes feel static: they go wherever you point them and gravity doesn't seem to exist; it's like you're flying in zero-g with friction. You can go upside-down and the handling is exactly the same, roll out of turns and instantly straighten out... it just feels as if there's no momentum involved, like in Ace Combat 6.

I'd pick it up out of the budget-bin without thinking twice though, I love jets and backflipping planes to dodge missiles is fun
Quote from Equinox :Woooooooooooooo !

Prize idiot award for the OP ! Ofcourse its all aircraft based, it wasn't called "Hawx" (which is an utterly sh*te name !) for nothing !

Thanks for your incredibly unconstructive input. Tit.

Everyone else thanks for replying, probably won't waste my money now
is the PC demo available somewhere? Read that it was to be published on the 26th, but i cant find it anywhere
If you're looking for realism in a combat sim, check out:

- Lock On (modern jets)
- IL2 (WWII props)
- Black Shark (helos)

IL2 probably has the best pick-up-and-play factor. The others tend to get pretty involved with all the various cockpit systems.
Commanche should be added to your list there Forbin.
#16 - DeKo
Quote from danowat :Played the demo, and I still prefer Ace Combat 6

Indeed, but they arent on PS3, so hawx will have to do for me.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Commanche should be added to your list there Forbin.

I hope you're being facetious.
I think not - That was a fantastic game. Probably my first sort of air combat game. Loved it.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I think not - That was a fantastic game. Probably my first sort of air combat game. Loved it.

+1. It was my first air combat game too. I'd still play it if I found the CDs
LOMAC ftw!!

Haven't tried HAWX, i decided i didn't want to when i saw the plane in the advert do a backflip, stop in mid air as it finished it, then hit the afterburner and fly off again...
I just couldn't get my head around the 3rd person view in Hawx, its soooooo arcady it makes Ace Combat look like IL2.

Ace Combat is really good for an arcade "sim", sure, its no LOMAC or IL2, but for a quick HD sofa slouch sim, its a blast, still looks tasty after 2 years too!
Quote from Forbin :If you're looking for realism in a combat sim, check out:

- Lock On (modern jets)
- IL2 (WWII props)
- Black Shark (helos)

IL2 probably has the best pick-up-and-play factor. The others tend to get pretty involved with all the various cockpit systems.

I agree 100% to this post.
And shame on anyone who wants to add Comanche to that list. While fun, it wasn't a sim by far.

And on Topic: Just another proof that Redstorm/Ubiswoft didn't manage to release one decent "Tom Clancy" game since R6: Ravenshield...
BTW I was refering to Commanche 1, 2 and 3. 4 was a fail.
Nope, I played them all, none of them was a sim.

Tom Clancy's Hawx Game
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG