The online racing simulator
Overrated Games
(118 posts, started )
I think a lot of recent games are overrated tbh. Any game where the developer thinks graphics and technical details are the most important part of a game. Far Cry 2 sticks out as being that game.

I have honestly played free 2d games that I have enjoyed more.
#27 - 5haz
Anything by simbin after GTR 1.
Mirrors edge (way...... to short)
Cod5 IMO
Iracing
Quote from DarkTimes :I'm half way through BioShock, I definietly don't think it's overated, I'm really enjoying it. I do have to agree with Halo as being overated, I remember when I got Halo 2 after everyone raving about it for ages, and I was like, 'What? Is this it?'. I genuinely got bored after two hours, and I went in totally thinking I would enjoy it.

I'm waiting for someone to say World of Warcraft, just so I can release my venom on them.

System Shock 2 : cyberpunk :: Bioshock : steampunk

Otherwise, the stories and gameplay are very, VERY similar. Both are better in SS2, though.

"Look at you, hacker..."

My list (only games I've actually played, in no particular order):
BioShock
Halo series
Fallout 3
WoW
EVE
Gran Turismo series
Forza series
Oblivion
Crysis
Mass Effect
Quote from Forbin :System Shock 2 : cyberpunk :: Bioshock : steampunk

Otherwise, the stories and gameplay are similar. Both are better in SS2, though. "Look at you, hacker..."

My list (only games I've actually played):
BioShock
Halo series
Fallout 3
WoW
EVE
Gran Turismo series
Forza series

Oblivion
Crysis
Mass Effect

I agree with thsoe two alot played both of then and didnt get very enthusiatic mainly forza 2 is bit if a fail IMO.
And halo is just a shooter Id trade it for potal any day
Half-Life 2 and nothing else comes close. It's was just a pointless tube full of shit compared to HL1. Ravenholm? Give me break. The pointless sand bug cruising? GTFO! The yawn-inducing cannon fodder enemies? Bitch puuhleeeaaase! Can't remember the source but there were supposed to be lots of more story to HL2 but Valve decided to cut the potentially good stuff out and focus on poo instead.

Halos, Cods and Wow suck ass too and you know I'm right.
Quote from Stefani24 :I know, but I liked the gtaIII trylogy way more than gtaiv. Maybe it's just me, but GTAIV doesnt really keep me carrying on playing, I just don't get that feel (I know, but man, it's very hard to describe) from a GTA. Maybe this has something to do with the lack of some good submissons, but it just doesn't keep me infront of my PS3

Which is ironic, because GTAIV is the only game that I do get lost in, wasting hours and hours, whereas every other PS3 game I have I just get bored after about 45 mins. (Fallout 3 especially, it's SO SO SO DULL!)
Quote from Forbin :
Gran Turismo series

I dont think so....

@ dustin: Maybe it's just me.
i think half life 2 was overrated, i bought it, played few levels and now its been collecting dust for a year. i didnt see why every people said its the best game ever +etc. It kinda sucks if i have to say straight, the game made no sense to me, i didnt realize the storyline(was there even one?) and i didnt realize where i was n'stuff. i was on a top of a building running away of some people and next thing i notice i find myself on a beach
Quote from batteryy :i think half life 2 was overrated, i bought it, played few levels and now its been collecting dust for a year. i didnt see why every people said its the best game ever +etc. It kinda sucks if i have to say straight, the game made no sense to me, i didnt realize the storyline(was there even one?) and i didnt realize where i was n'stuff. i was on a top of a building running away of some people and next thing i notice i find myself on a beach

Me thinks someone was too busy staring at Alyx's ass to listen to what she and Ely were saying.
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Quote from batteryy :It kinda sucks if i have to say straight, the game made no sense to me, i didnt realize the storyline(was there even one?) and i didnt realize where i was n'stuff. i was on a top of a building running away of some people and next thing i notice i find myself on a beach

Well, first.. judging by your post, you got so deeply drawn into the game, that you actually managed to NOT NOTICE 3 HOURS OF GAMEPLAY...
And also, like Forbin has already said, you should pay attention to the dialogue, when surrounded by NPC's... besides Alyx gives you a few good looks of her behind during the game, no reason to stare at it ALL the time

And yes, for me, Valve is next best thing after bread and tits.
Quote from speedway :Fallout3

I decided to give it a shot. So far im not overly impressed and really cant understand the hype about this game.

Whats bothering me the most is the level-design. What is a open world good for if my path trough a town is already determined by blocked roads and tons of trash, leaving me to choose between taking the left or the right flank around the supermutants in the middle....who will notice me either way. Then theres the metro stations who all looks the same, of course theres only one way leading to the next station.

The Quests are rather dull too. "Get me a specific item/information and return here". This usually leads into some catacombs/buildings/tunnels etc. which all look the same (which eventually makes me get lost several times)...and again...the path (if its finally found) is already predetermined. If the quest is not leading me directly into one of those freaking mazes it sends me to some NPC who has the required information/item. Of course i dont get them for free, instead im eventually sent into a freakin tunnel/catacomb/blahblahblah again...or i just shoot his head of rightaway.

Just finished Fallout 3 today.
Now im going to do all of the sidequests.
Then im going to play the game over again as a girl.
Then ill play it yet again and try to use less guns and more speaking.
And then ill play it again carnage mode.
And again... again... again....
So no freaking way its a bad game.
Best game I ever played.
Quote from Vinnylegends :So no freaking way its a bad game.
Best game I ever played.

There are several reasons it's not "the best game ever", but I must say, it does create quite a few stories you can tell to another gamer... (I recently found Andale... who has been there, knows why it's so special)
fallout 3 is oblivion with guns. simple as that.
Quote from Vinnylegends :Just finished Fallout 3 today.
Now im going to do all of the sidequests.
Then im going to play the game over again as a girl.
Then ill play it yet again and try to use less guns and more speaking.
And then ill play it again carnage mode.
And again... again... again....
So no freaking way its a bad game.
Best game I ever played.

Most boring game I've ever played.

Can only play it in stints of 10 mins, and that includes loading times. It just.. It bores me beyond all reason.
GTA games has allways been overrated. Sure, they are fun, they look good and have great humor, but the game itself is too much repeating itsef.

Good game, and if I would rate it I would give 7-8/10, but most places give it 10/10 because it's "perfect".
Overhyped shit in my opinion
Now there's something that interests me, as opinions go apart concerning my two most overrated games.

I wonder if the guys that like Fallout 3 or Bioshock played their predecessors, meaning Fallout 1&2 (tactics and BoS obviously don't count) and System Shock 1&2.

I for one think that those who don't like the new ones loved the old ones, as it is how I feel, and those who do like the new ones didn't care about or have never played the old ones.

Similar thing is going on with Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon. While the new games (Vegas and AW) are critically well recieved, they didn't cut it for me because I loved the old ones. On a sidenote I was especially flummoxed by R6 Vegas criticals success, as it was basically the same as R6:LetDown gameplaywise, only with shinier graphics...

Which brings me yet to another point which deeply troubles me about the game history: in recent years, graphical bling became more and more important, while gamplay stagnated or even got dumbed down so that everybody and his mom could beat the game on the highest difficulty. Oh how much do I miss times where games actually challenged you.

And that doesn't come down to me being a more experienced gamer, as I do play old classics from time to time, and some of them are still ****ing hard (Driver, Die by the Sword, pretty much all old school RPGs before Diablo and Baldurs Gate, etc.)
Loved Bioshock, never played SS1 or SS2, Hated Fallout 3, never played Fallout 1 or Fallout 2....

Bioshock I loved becuase it immersed me, and it wasn't so much the story, it was the environment, it made me want to see more, explore, look at details. It has to be the first FPS game that I beat from start to finish without cheats, and enjoyed the whole way.

Fallout 3.. I just.. I can't get into it for some reason.. Bores me to death no matter how hard I try to get into it.
Quote from ColeusRattus :
I for one think that those who don't like the new ones loved the old ones, as it is how I feel, and those who do like the new ones didn't care about or have never played the old ones.

Beaten and loved Fo1 and Fo2, beaten and liked Fo:Tactics, beten and liked Fo3... It could mean I'm an exception, but I can easily explain why I liked Fo3 - When I found out about Fo3 being FPS more than RPG, i knew it was going to be c**p. When I installed the game (never played oblivion though), it was much better than I thought it would be.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :Loved Bioshock, never played SS1 or SS2

And another example - Hated Bioshock, never played System shocks... Bioshock couldn't draw me in no matter how good it looked, never felt any immersion
I've never played the previous Fallout games. But i love Fallout 3. I can see that some people may not like it... i think it's a game where you have to like the style, then you love it... if you don't, you'll probably hate it.

I've played the original Systemshock, not the sequel. I think Bioshock is easily one of the best FPS i have ever played.
Quote from squidhead :When I found out about Fo3 being FPS more than RPG, i knew it was going to be c**p. When I installed the game (never played oblivion though), it was much better than I thought it would be.

Well, that happened to me too, especially since I was already let down by Oblivion (and i loved Daggerfall and Morrowind back then). So I wasn't dissapointed with it per se, but I still found it only mediocre at best. For me, Fo3 is one of those games you start playing, then something more interesting comes along and makes you forget about it quickly.
Was exactly the other way around for me. Fallout 3 made me put all other games aside. Roughly 100 game hours later i eventually went back to them.
Most single-player RPGs aren't necessarily over-rated, they bore me. Just what's the point? What are you playing towards? MMOs are where its at.
Quote from pb32000 :Most single-player RPGs aren't necessarily over-rated, they bore me. Just what's the point? What are you playing towards? MMOs are where its at.

The story? Combined with interesting, non-repetitive gameplay?

Overrated Games
(118 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG