The online racing simulator
Need help with my site :)
(24 posts, started )
Hi all, I'm working on a website for an assignment at college, and yes it really is .. Organic fruit & vegetables
www.danieel199.freeuk.com

The template on my website works correctly with a screen resolution of 1280x1024, I was wondering how I could make the template fit any resolution, is there a code I implement in my code or such? Hope someone knows

Regards,
-Daniel.
Quote from Danielw597 :Hi all, I'm working on a website for an assignment at college, and yes it really is .. Organic fruit & vegetables

The template on my website works correctly with a screen resolution of 1280x1024, I was wondering how I could make the template fit any resolution, is there a code I implement in my code or such? Hope someone knows

Regards,
-Daniel.

What exactly do you mean?

Do you want your page to go to the middle of the page when someone with a higher resolution opens the site? Or do you want the background to span all the way across the page?
If your using tables/border type things, you should be using for example, 80% rather than 819.2px, if you see what i mean. Therefore the 80% would be of the users screen, not a fixed value

Hope it helps.
Quote from niall09 :What exactly do you mean?

Do you want your page to go to the middle of the page when someone with a higher resolution opens the site? Or do you want the background to span all the way across the page?

Well, I want the template to be stretched which would keep all the information (i.e. Text, images) centered on the page.

Quote from RacerAsh3 :If your using tables/border type things, you should be using for example, 80% rather than 819.2px, if you see what i mean. Therefore the 80% would be of the users screen, not a fixed value

Hope it helps.

I would have used tables/borders if it was highly necessary which the website as it stands I thought wouldn't need it as it is basically a template with centered information on it.
i think you'll find thats where the wonderful world of stylesheets will come in, now if you arent that up on html or css or whatever you're using to code the website then this website might be useful

http://www.w3schools.com/

helped me out a huge deal when i first started website building.
Yeah I've used that site a number of times, pretty useful, thanks. Btw this site has a fix to my issue?
#7 - majod
you should create a div with margin:auto and put the background image into it.
Quote from Danielw597 :Btw this site has a fix to my issue?

It's more a lack of understanding.

Judging from the site, it seems that you haven't got much knowledge of html, or css for that matter. Everything is all over the place, the background is just one big image, and also you have some sort of song trying to play in the background?

Read up on w3schools, learn html + css properly. Then start designing your site from scratch again.

BTW, what program do you use to code?
Quote from niall09 :It's more a lack of understanding.

Judging from the site, it seems that you haven't got much knowledge of html, or css for that matter. Everything is all over the place, the background is just one big image, and also you have some sort of song trying to play in the background?

Read up on w3schools, learn html + css properly. Then start designing your site from scratch again.

BTW, what program do you use to code?

First website I've made, so may explain alot...
Quote from Danielw597 :First website I've made, so may explain alot...

Sorry if I sounded harsh, but it seems like you are trying to learn to run before you walk.

Take your time, learn the stuff properly and you'll have a nice looking site.

Also, you could download a template, cut it up, play around with it.

Good luck
Quote from niall09 :Sorry if I sounded harsh, but it seems like you are trying to learn to run before you walk.

Good luck

Well then again, we've only had a couple of months to make a website, without really being taught much which imo is a pretty stupid way of doing things But I'm a student, and that's the college.
nice are you doing it in adobe flash?

if u are we are having exact same thing at our school :P
#13 - CSU1
Quote from niall09 :Sorry if I sounded harsh, but it seems like you are trying to learn to run before you walk.

Good luck

Pompous dickhead! LOL, and ye not even offer the chap helping hand or link, good luck indeed
Quote from CSU1 :Pompous dickhead! LOL, and ye not even offer the chap helping hand or link, good luck indeed

Oh master, Google sure is hard to conquer...
Quote from Danielw597 :Hi all, I'm working on a website for an assignment at college, and yes it really is .. Organic fruit & vegetables

Regards,
-Daniel.

The problem is that you've used a fixed-sized background image, plus absolute positioning of elements to create your page. This means it's always only going to look good on one fixed resolution. You need to educate yourself about creating flowing or fluid layouts, where your page will automatically resize itself to meet the dimensions of the browsers window.

Sadly creating flowing layouts for a page, or indeed any display element, provides a new set of challenges to the designer and programmer, but it really is the best way to layout graphical widgets on a computer screen.

(Note: This is not to be confused with composition flow, which is where you create a design that 'carries' the viewers eye naturally to certain important elements on the screen.)
Quote from DarkTimes :The problem is that you've used a fixed-sized background image, plus absolute positioning of elements to create your page. This means it's always only going to look good on one fixed resolution. You need to educate yourself about creating flowing or fluid layouts, where your page will automatically resize itself to meet the dimensions of the browsers window.

Sadly creating flowing layouts for a page, or indeed any display element, provides a new set of challenges to the designer and programmer, but it really is the best way to layout graphical widgets on a computer screen.

(Note: This is not to be confused with composition flow, which is where you create a design that 'carries' the viewers eye naturally to certain important elements on the screen.)

Thanks for the tip, lets just hope the invidulator uses 1280x1024 :P But I'll keep this in mind for my next assignment,

regards,
-Daniel.

Regards,
-Daniel.

the tabs need tweaking, as in the edgeing but other then that its ok.
Quote from theirishnoob :the tabs need tweaking, as in the edgeing but other then that its ok.

Yeah I've seen the grey pixels around the top corners of the tabs, on my list of things to do
A small bit of constructive criticism (if you dont mind )..but checking for typos is just as important as the 'look' of the page...prospective customers WILL be put off by simple spelling mistakes, as it implies a lack of thoroughness and dedication...and more importantly, if it is a school project, it WILL cost you marks!!

Quote :Below is an oderform.....

(from the 'ordering' page: I didnt look further than that, but hopefully that is the only one )
Quote from Bladerunner :A small bit of constructive criticism (if you dont mind )..but checking for typos is just as important as the 'look' of the page...prospective customers WILL be put off by simple spelling mistakes, as it implies a lack of thoroughness and dedication...and more importantly, if it is a school project, it WILL cost you marks!!

(from the 'ordering' page: I didnt look further than that, but hopefully that is the only one )

As a matter of fact I've corrected all the typos a few days back but it's just a matter of uploading the pages again
As everything on my site is near enough done now, I was intrigued to know how to have a flash image viewer on my website, the type of image viewer you find on some sites which you click on an image and it is enlarged in its own window within the page example of what I mean is on my college website (click on the image and see what I mean ) http://www.burnley.ac.uk/website04/home/home_nc.asp

If anyone knows what I need and how to implement this, I'd be very thankful.

Regards,
-Daniel.
Quote from Danielw597 :If anyone knows what I need and how to implement this, I'd be very thankful.

That's javascript. There are a variety of different off the shelf libraries which will provide this behaviour. Do a quick google for lightbox and you'll see what I mean.
Quote from the_angry_angel :That's javascript. There are a variety of different off the shelf libraries which will provide this behaviour. Do a quick google for lightbox and you'll see what I mean.

I've been looking around for days, I've found a couple but they either cost money or they aren't explained as thorough as needed. But I'll check 'lightbox', thanks for the tip.
#24 - Migz

(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG