Real time sound - explanation please..
I was wondering if any of you guys can explain to me exactly what does real time sound mean?? I mean, i know what real time mean, but how is the sound in LFS real time?? I know that it is an advanced sound engine, unlike other pre recorded sounds that are in other games.. But, how does this actually work.. i don't get it.. Whenever someone mention that LFS has bad sound, there are posts that say that it is real time, unlike other games.. so please can u explain?? Does that mean when i damage my car, that it produces different engine sound?, because i am not noticing it(but i also play games with low volume ), or something like that...
..it means that LFS creates the sound on the spot; rather than from a pre recorded file
Quote from XCNuse :..it means that LFS creates the sound on the spot; rather than from a pre recorded file

Hmm.. i get it.. but... what is doing different from say GTR?? What is better?
#4 - (SaM)
Well, to start with; LFS plays every explosion in the combustion chamber in the engine as a pop. The amount of throttle defines how loud and clear the pop is. The RPM define how much pops you hear per second. You can hear different sounds wich are different explosions. The engine sound also dependson the exhaust.
Thats the engine sound, you can also hear the turbo spin and release. (You can even hear the axles spin in their bearings and the wheels drive over the tarmac.)

GTR doesnt do any of that. It plays fairly good samples but you cant hear how much pressure you put onto your engine, wich gives you feedback to act to, like LFS does.
At first sight GTR sounds better but I prefer LFS's eventually because I think it's more important for me to hear the state of the engine.
Quote from (SaM) :Well, to start with; LFS plays every explosion in the combustion chamber in the engine as a pop. The amount of throttle defines how loud and clear the pop is. The RPM define how much pops you hear per second. You can hear different sounds wich are different explosions. The engine sound also dependson the exhaust.
Thats the engine sound, you can also hear the turbo spin and release. (You can even hear the axles spin in their bearings and the wheels drive over the tarmac.)

GTR doesnt do any of that. It plays fairly good samples but you cant hear how much pressure you put onto your engine, wich gives you feedback to act to, like LFS does.
At first sight GTR sounds better but I prefer LFS's eventually because I think it's more important for me to hear the state of the engine.

Hmm, thanks.. i guess i have to turn my volume up a bit..
#6 - (SaM)
It wont impress you much now but it does have a much better future than sampled engine sounds because it's alot more flexible. S3 must have incredible engine sounds, S2 is a big improvement from S1.
Quote from (SaM) :Well, to start with; LFS plays every explosion in the combustion chamber in the engine as a pop. The amount of throttle defines how loud and clear the pop is. The RPM define how much pops you hear per second. You can hear different sounds wich are different explosions. The engine sound also dependson the exhaust.

thats a good point, in a game like nascar 2003 or GTR, you cant really hear the car struggle if you are say in the wrong gear, it just sounds like its a lower note, where as in lfs it sounds like it is under strain and you had better floor it or downshift asap :P Personaly i think the sound just needs some personality per car, more grunt for big displacement motors, more scream for high revers, and some backire/misfire (specially` in the race cars, i know with my when i had open exhaust you can really hear that sucker pop when you let the throttle off) but, this isnt really a major deal, im happy with it as long as its not annoying to the point of effecting game play, and its not that extreme to me
The cool thing also about the sound engine, is that you notice when you're close to a wall or going under a bridge or something.
thats just reverb bob.. thats also something thats really nice in S2 (although in some places its .. weird; ei: behind the BL pits, it still sounds like your closed in in some parts)

like dodge said.. i too think each car needs its own personality.. if you really listen to it.. just by lowering the frequency.. the FV8 can sound exactly like the UF1k, gti... and all the other cars

each car just needs to sound.. different?
Yeah the car sounds are too similar. Scawen has said as the engine model becomes more complex they'll have more variables to feed to the engine sound alorgithm and we should be able to get more varied, detailed, and just better sounds from LFS. Weee.
Quote :LFS plays every explosion in the combustion chamber in the engine as a pop. The amount of throttle defines how loud and clear the pop is. The RPM define how much pops you hear per second. You can hear different sounds wich are different explosions. The engine sound also dependson the exhaust.

But thats the problem. In real cars the sounds dont come from the engine alone but thats the only thing you hear in LFS. Some with high treble, some with low treble...

The exhausts sound are the most important sound a car can give... Rotation + exhausts = a car sound

Street cars its ok only to hear the engine, the exhausts are muffled..
Racing cars, its a new story. The exhausts scream and you hear it in the cockpit.
But in LFS i cant hear the exhausts in pain, screaming after that Gear down...

say, in GT legends the sounds are sweet because of the exhausts (yes, sampled sound, but the exhausts are there)
wouldnt know...... no matter how low i put hte settings in that dumb game, i rarely make it over 20 fps ish.. and i've still got a 128mb card.. retarded simbin ..

heck.. i just ran it at 320x200 and it still got jumpy wtf
-
((SaM)) DELETED by (SaM)
Quote from spyshagg :But thats the problem. In real cars the sounds dont come from the engine alone but thats the only thing you hear in LFS. Some with high treble, some with low treble...

The exhausts sound are the most important sound a car can give... Rotation + exhausts = a car sound

Street cars its ok only to hear the engine, the exhausts are muffled..
Racing cars, its a new story. The exhausts scream and you hear it in the cockpit.
But in LFS i cant hear the exhausts in pain, screaming after that Gear down...

say, in GT legends the sounds are sweet because of the exhausts (yes, sampled sound, but the exhausts are there)

The exhaust sound is modeled I think, you can hear it mainly in the RaceAbout and the FZ50.

Quote from XCNuse :wouldnt know...... no matter how low i put hte settings in that dumb game, i rarely make it over 20 fps ish.. and i've still got a 128mb card.. retarded simbin ..

heck.. i just ran it at 320x200 and it still got jumpy wtf

Wrong thread.
you did that twice and yes i know; im just saying

plus there are too exhaust sounds.. get a stationary camera, and let a car go by, and theres a totally different sound you can hear
#15 - emqu
Thanks for explaning the benefits of the LFS sound engine.
I know quite a lot about music technology so I know the principles behind most games sound, I just couldn't figure out why they kept pluging away with the synthesized method used in LFS, especially after hearing the samples used in GTR.
GTR's use of samples IMO is just a quick fix, the potential/actual detail found in the LFS method is far superior.

Not to mention that gathering all these wonderful samples would prabably take a lot of time and money the devs don't have or should spend on more important things...
Is it me or does rFactor use exactly the same samples at GTR (i.e. not very nice). In fact the ONLY good thing about rFactor (and I'm not just talking about sounds) was the skid sounds.
Quote from tristancliffe :Is it me or does rFactor use exactly the same samples at GTR (i.e. not very nice). In fact the ONLY good thing about rFactor (and I'm not just talking about sounds) was the skid sounds.

..least it sounds better than GTR you can actually hear the car roar when you get it at the higher RPMs; unlike LFS where it (to me) just sounds a little higher pitched but ya; the racecar in the rfactor demo sounds just like the same as the lister storm in GTR (except some really nice effects rfactor has added in)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG