american cars
(77 posts, started )
Quote from mookie427 :Pontiac Aztek
Ford Edsel
Ford Pinto
AMC Pacer
Chrysler 300C
Hummer H3

Oohhh, the AMC Pacer. American engineering at its best.

Ford Pinto - Perfect car for terrorists.
i hate everything american from 1980 to present
Quote from chavm481 :i hate everything american from 1980 to present

Well, some cars aren't as better today as they were back then. So, I can see why you hate them. BTW, have you heard that there is a new Concept Barracuda?
#54 - th84
Quote from chavm481 :i hate everything american from 1980 to present

Yea, me too. Other than the Golden Girls. That show was the shiznit.

Oh, you were talking about cars. Sorry.
i hate modern muscle, challenger, cuda...
Quote from speed1 :You can get fairly new ones in really good condition (some high millage, some low) that have been maintained very well for around 3000USD. Plus they are fairly fast (for the money) and handle semi well (considering the weight). To be honest, I'm thinking about getting one, and I would have my heart set if I could get one in a you-shifter. Now, that being said, I'm talking the Police Interceptor versions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the police Crown Victorias infamous for exploding whenever they got rear-ended?

I'm not really into the whole American car bashing thing, but if there was ever a car you should avoid, that seems to be the one!
Quote from thisnameistaken :Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the police Crown Victorias infamous for exploding whenever they got rear-ended?

I'm not really into the whole American car bashing thing, but if there was ever a car you should avoid, that seems to be the one!

no, it wasn't them. They probably exploded Coke syrup, because they had syrup they use in Coca Cola that whenever there is blood or something on the sidewalk, they pour the syrup on it and it eats the blood. Coca Cola is safe though, just maybe not the straight syrup. Thats what I've heard anyway
#58 - 5haz
Wasn't it the Ford Pinto (the car, not the engine), that exploded when rear ended because of a bad fuel tank design?
Yup, that's the one.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the police Crown Victorias infamous for exploding whenever they got rear-ended?

You are in fact correct; however, it is to the best of my knowledge that the newer PI models (I believe 1999 or 2000 to present) had honey combing installed around the fuel tank. Also, I live in Ohio, which seems to be infamous for idiot drivers who rear end state troopers on traffic stops. I've seen probably 15 or so videos of Crown Vics being rear ended by cars traveling at high speed, and none of them have exploded. I have included a classic example. And if you search around on youtube, you can find the vid of the crown vic exploding with and without the honeycombing thing.

http://www.trutv.com/video/mos ... usher.html?link=truTVshlk
this thread is useless
95% of people who don't live in the USA know that american cars have the same build quality and value as a damp cardboard box
Quote from Alistair :this thread is useless
95% of people who don't live in the USA know that american cars have the same build quality and value as a damp cardboard box

Actually, I'd say that 95% of the people who don't live in the USA are from other areas of the world and don't have a freakin clue what they are talking about when it comes to American cars. Yet, they all think they are experts in everything so they have to come on the forum and spout their drivel.

Fine, spout your drivel about "American cars can't handle". For $5000, I'll do some bolt-on upgrades to make it handle. Sure beats paying $20-30,000 more for your "superior" BMW garbage.
My car handles better then quite a few non-american cars.
Quote from mrodgers :
Fine, spout your drivel about "American cars can't handle". For $5000, I'll do some bolt-on upgrades to make it handle. Sure beats paying $20-30,000 more for your "superior" BMW garbage.

I used Chryslers website to build myself a nice high spec 300C. I chose the heritige edition and added Sat-Nav.

Total price - $42,815

I built myself a BMW 535i using their NA website.

Specced up to a very nice spec indeed. M-sport package, auto transmission, leather and noveltys like heated steering wheel and what not

Total price - $61,115 (or, you can collect the car in Europe and it'll cost...$56,836.)

Whether the extra $20,000 is worth it is up the the buyer I guess. Personally, I'd never buy an American car (especially a 300c). There's an unwritten law that says you pay for quality (generally). If a car seems to be much much cheaper than another car, there have had to be cost cutting features somewhere, and these will show.

TBF, I know that European car manufacturers are feeling the squeeze, but I don't see them asking for multi billion $ bailouts.
Quote from mrodgers :Actually, I'd say that 95% of the people who don't live in the USA are from other areas of the world and don't have a freakin clue what they are talking about when it comes to American cars. Yet, they all think they are experts in everything so they have to come on the forum and spout their drivel.

True i guess. My dad's BMW is a 1984 BMW 318i, and it needs new seats, and the only way to save him money is to get Scion seat and customize them and trim them down to fi properly into the car since BMW seats are expensive. Still, you can get a good American car that is just as good as a European car for about $4000. My brother got a 1993 Pontiac Trans Am, bl/bl (black on black), 350 LS1, 6-speed manual, and when I rode in it, he took a corner at about 50 mph. I couldn't control my body due to the G-forces because my face was on his window. Oh yeah, he got it from his friend for only $3000. It did have some problems, but right now he is rebuilding the engine to not just fix those, but get more hp too. So, you can get a decent american car that is just as good as a European for a lower price. Also, the Trans Am was built for cornering purposes anyway. So, you are right Mrodgers. Also, you can also get a 1989 Camaro IROC-Z today for about $4000 that is in mint condition. It might have some high mileage though.
Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :.... So, you are right Mrodgers.....

Er.... please don't agree with me with what you wrote....
Quote from S14 DRIFT :There's an unwritten law that says you pay for quality (generally)

agreed and also most american cars are 3 liter engines or more in most cases
my dad got a volvo v50 estate that could outrun quite a few american v8's especily at the lights and would deffinetly beat them all on fuel econamy because it is a 2 liter, 5cylinder diesel. and i don't think you can fit a whole sofa in a muscle car.
Thats another thing I didn't mention Alistar - Engines

An American V8, of say 4 or 5 litres normally puts out about 225-300bhp in most applications, often less. Most are 2 vavles per cylinder and give about 15-25mpg.

A european car can get 222-300bhp from NA 2.5L to 3L 6cyl or 1.6L-2.5L with forced induction, and average out about 30-35mpg in most situations.
An average European engine isn't built to last 500K+ miles as they aren't run across vast expanses of land all their life. Some American cars are.
But the rest of the car would fall apart by the time you get it home from the dealership.

Saying that, I wouldn't expect an European engine to have a shorter life than an American engine.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :

I used Chryslers website to build myself a nice high spec 300C. I chose the heritige edition and added Sat-Nav.

Total price - $42,815

I built myself a BMW 535i using their NA website.

Specced up to a very nice spec indeed. M-sport package, auto transmission, leather and noveltys like heated steering wheel and what not

Total price - $61,115 (or, you can collect the car in Europe and it'll cost...$56,836.)

Whether the extra $20,000 is worth it is up the the buyer I guess. Personally, I'd never buy an American car (especially a 300c). There's an unwritten law that says you pay for quality (generally). If a car seems to be much much cheaper than another car, there have had to be cost cutting features somewhere, and these will show.

TBF, I know that European car manufacturers are feeling the squeeze, but I don't see them asking for multi billion $ bailouts.

I wouldn't use a 300c for that comparison. Go build yourself a Pontiac G8 GT for $32,000. Its as fast as the BMW, reviews say it handles almost as well, and you saved $30,000. It wouldn't take much money at all to blow the BMW 5-series away.

Its mostly about what you want in a car. Honestly I don't need the nicest interior with tons of things I'll never use. The Pontiac gives me all the performance I'm looking for, for a price I can afford.
I'd just like to say that American cars arent as bad as people say (I'm talking current stuff). They are still very poor compared to what the Europeans and Japanese have to offer today, but when you look at where they are now VS. where the were say 10 years ago, it is quite impressive. But if I had my choice, I would buy "foreign" (I put the quotes on, because so much of that "foreign" stuff is built in or around the US) just because, well, um, the cars work a good bit more.
Quote from speed1 :I'd just like to say that American cars arent as bad as people say (I'm talking current stuff). They are still very poor compared to what the Europeans and Japanese have to offer today, but when you look at where they are now VS. where the were say 10 years ago, it is quite impressive. But if I had my choice, I would buy "foreign" (I put the quotes on, because so much of that "foreign" stuff is built in or around the US) just because, well, um, the cars work a good bit more.

I'm a Toyota fan through and through. From the time I bought my first used Hilux 4x4 that at 100,000 miles, ran like I drove it right off the showroom floor, I turned into a Toyota fan.

Unfortunately, the same monetary concept I mentioned earlier applies to Japanese cars as well. My wife wanted an AWD kid hauler, thus I spent the $18,000 on her Ford rather than the comparable $34,000 on a Toyota.
Quote from pb32000 :An average European engine isn't built to last 500K+ miles as they aren't run across vast expanses of land all their life. Some American cars are.

yes they are actally :|

i had a clio which made it to 523.4 k ( km's ) only rebuilt the engine twince, ate one head gasket and two fuel pumps...

virtually bullet proof till i beat a impreza in it and killed it in the procese...

R.I.P lil' rusty 1992 - 2008
Quote from UncleBenny :I wouldn't use a 300c for that comparison. Go build yourself a Pontiac G8 GT for $32,000. Its as fast as the BMW, reviews say it handles almost as well, and you saved $30,000. It wouldn't take much money at all to blow the BMW 5-series away.

Its mostly about what you want in a car. Honestly I don't need the nicest interior with tons of things I'll never use. The Pontiac gives me all the performance I'm looking for, for a price I can afford.

hmm... good point. But you forgot one thing... the new Pontiac G8 is just a Holden Commodore, or something Holden. Still, GM did buy Holden. Anyway, the new ZR1 is starting to become a hit! Top Gear even likes the 2009 ZR1 since it's a everyday type of car. The new Camaro has no chances of anything. The new Mustang didn't just get some new parts, but it now has better handling. The new GT500 is going to get A LOT better handling. Cadillac's new CTS-v with a V8 that is supercharged and producing 556 hp is already better than the M5 at not just speed and power, but handling as well! So, American companies are starting to get with the program here. Which is great!! Sure enough though, Dodge isn't going to have the best of cars. The Viper just got more power; the Charger is still like driving a boat; and the Challenger can't corner worth crap. A lot of the car journalists say it looks cool, but its cool looks can't get around a corner right. At least GM and Ford are going to be alright.

american cars
(77 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG