The online racing simulator
Driving Game PHYSX
(45 posts, started )
#26 - Woz
Quote from tisy0 :IMO PhysX will not die, but who knows

PhysX will not last. ATI not supporting is was the final nail. No developer will create a game that uses PhysX for core game functionality if it counts out half the potential customers. Crysis flopped because nobody could really run it, using PhysX for anything "core" is just asking for poor sales imho.

It is not possible to include PhysX in the "core engine" and have a non-PhysX version as well because that will count out online play between the two camps, further reducing your customer base. The cost of games dev is so high these days its just too much risk.

This leaves PhysX just being used for eye candy effects which do not effect the core game. A costly expense for many game dev teams.

As the article someone else posted says, Havok is the more popular system and well liked by developers and far better supported. Also OpenCL and DX11 mean the end for PhysX.

3D cards could gain traction when they first came in because they were just eye candy and did not effect the game play at all. Software and Hardware render was common for many years. I believe Q3 was the first hardware only render game, if not it would have been one of the first. This meant there were a good 3 generations of 3d hardware before the move to hardware only render.

Also the Laptop now outsells the desktop machines. No room for a PhysX card and most laptop GPUs have to work flat out for the GFX.

imho - physics on the CPU is the only way now multi-core is common. We are about to move into Quad core world with the current generation of hardware.
I've always wanted a proper driving simulator game, with all the British roads and the like. It would be pretty good as well.

But I agree that PhysX is a bit of a gimmic. (But saying that, Crysis run beautifully on my rig, and it's not even that up to date).
one question:
i´ve seen some vids on youtube and there was some guy playing unreal tournament with physX.
How can you do that, is that some kind of mod or something?
i have a ati card (HD 4850) wich i think can do physx, too ( have a programm installed on my computer )
Dont download the driving sim. It seems to be complete trash. I guess it could be useful for learning traffic laws, but other than that it sucks. Its defiantly not setup to be used with a wheel and pedals. The car physics are quite bad also as are the crash ones.
Quote from speed1 :Dont download the driving sim. It seems to be complete trash. I guess it could be useful for learning traffic laws, but other than that it sucks. Its defiantly not setup to be used with a wheel and pedals. The car physics are quite bad also as are the crash ones.

Lol i tried it, and im asking 'what physics?' this is real bad!
My heads been pounding with thoughts, but .
I don't think it was Fahr Simulator 2009, As i'm pretty sure it was in English, although I'm downloading it at the moment, I'll recognise the main screen if it was the same one, although I don't really know if it was a good game or not because as I said, I didn't have PhysX so I couldn't try it anyway if its not then ima give up on it.
Thanks for the help everybody! I'll post back when i've tried it
Bah
Found it! It wasn't Fahr Simulator 2009.
It was just called Driver Test by Squad Interactive Media.
I found it by just going through a few Youtube Vid's!
Downloading it as we speak, if any of you guys download it before I reply, and have the chance to have a go (my internet sux ) Post back and say how it compares to Fahr Simulator 2009.
http://www.squadinteractive.com/downloads.php
Thanks!
Tisy0
lol seeing the vids on youtube, i think..well this isnt really cool..
for what exactly you need physx here. for me this just looks like any other crappy driving simulation.
I don't really know what the PhysX is used for, 80% done on the download, I'll post feedback when Its complete, should only be 15~ mins with the time I take to try it
Seems ok, bit dated but its ok if your learning, bit disappointed although its compatible with the G25 but not with the clutch and 6-speed I don't know if that works atm.
Downloading the demo now, it looks like a good tool for learning rather than cruising Is it possible to use LHD roads too?
i think this game is not for learning driving itselfe then more for learning theoretic traffic rules and this stuff.
but i really wonder why someone would need physx for this..
OP, you'd better put the answer in the 1st post.
Bah, it crashes on Vista x64, nothing I can see to fix it...good job I didn't risk the full version
#45 - senn
reminds me of the late 90's driving games. :P awful, just awful

Driving Game PHYSX
(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG