The online racing simulator
LFS on Mac!
(47 posts, started )
LFS on Mac!
Hey Guys,

Was looking for the lfs on mac threads but didn't found them.. anyway there might be a solution now

Since a few days / weeks Parallels dekstop 4 is released. I tried to run lfs on it and it runs at 30fps so it's playable!

Added a screenshot

Greetz!
Attached images
Afbeelding 1.png
So, your Mac has an emulator...

It's a very inefficient way to run LFS but good luck to you.
Quote from farcar :So, your Mac has an emulator...

It's a very inefficient way to run LFS but good luck to you.

Well, I atm use it only to make car skins etc... but if i really want to play it well then i just boot up my laptop in bootcamp and get 100fps.. But now they can't complain that lfs doesn't work on mac
Cool
Mac style is awesome
Your Mac's OS isn't actually running LFS at all.
It's running an emulator which is running Windows which is running LFS.
Nice one Glenn. Btw work on teh insim
Quote from farcar :It's running an emulator which is running Windows which is running LFS.

Since the LFS.exe was compiled for Windows it only can be executed under Windows architecture.
The only way to real execute LFS on Mac is that Scawen recompile it for Mac (very improbable thing).

But the important thing is: G. Dierckx executed LFS booting his computer under Mac
Quote from Whiskey :Since the LFS.exe was compiled for Windows it only can be executed under Windows architecture.

I know!

Quote from Whiskey :But the important thing is: G. Dierckx executed LFS booting his computer under Mac

It's not really important IMO (absolutely nothing personal towards the OP). I really don't know why people go bananas about running Windows apps on a Mac OS? It's still just emulation, and what's the point?
Remove AA, you will get 10x more FPS.
May I recommend using VMWare Fusion instead of Parallels? If I recall correctly, VMWare Fusion has far better 3D hardware emulation (DirectX 9 capable) - you might even squeeze a few more frames out of LFS like this.
Quote from St4Lk3R :May I recommend using VMWare Fusion instead of Parallels? If I recall correctly, VMWare Fusion has far better 3D hardware emulation (DirectX 9 capable) - you might even squeeze a few more frames out of LFS like this.

Well parallels desktop 4 now also is DirectX 9 capable... And I also triend vmware fusion but I had problems with my windows activation (switching from fusion to bootcamp and visa versa)...

Tho it might just be a windows problem.
All these people saying that it's being run in an emulator - no, it's not. It's being run inside virtualisation software. There's a difference. Emulators imply that it's a different architecture completely (such as x86>M68k in the case of Amiga/Atari ST/Mega Drive emulators). Virtualisation creates a machine of the same architecture and places it inside a hypervisor, so the virtualised OS thinks it's actually running on the main machine.There's much less overhead involved in running inside a virtual machine and that's why you have 30FPS in LFS. If it was an emulator (such as the old Virtual PC for Mac that Microsoft produced, in which the title was a lie) then even if 3D acceleration was implemented then you'd be lucky to get 1FPS out of LFS. If you want an example of a PC emulator nowadays try Bochs - it'll run Windows XP...if you let it install for about 2 days.
Quote from G. Dierckx :Well parallels desktop 4 now also is DirectX 9 capable... And I also triend vmware fusion but I had problems with my windows activation (switching from fusion to bootcamp and visa versa)...

Tho it might just be a windows problem.

You have to re-activate your copy of Windows once after you first open your BootCamp partition in VMWare Fusion. After you have reactivated, you MUST install the VMWare tools in your virtual machine. This will prevent you from having to re-activate every time you switch from BootCamp to VMWare and vice versa.
Quote from JohnUK89 :All these people saying that it's being run in an emulator - no, it's not. It's being run inside virtualisation software.

At the end of the day, you're still running an OS on top of another OS albeit in a more efficient way than old methods.

It's still an inefficient way to run an app, and I still don't know what the point is.
Quote from farcar :At the end of the day, you're still running an OS on top of another OS albeit in a more efficient way than old methods.

It's still an inefficient way to run an app, and I still don't know what the point is.

The point is that you don't need to reboot just to run one or two applications - what's the point of rebooting if you can run it without doing so?
#16 - hda
have u tried crossover? I'll ask my bro to have go in his mac
Quote from G. Dierckx :Tho it might just be a windows problem.

Haha, it didn't take long for that to crop up. I love how Mac users rant on about how great Mac is and when there is a shortcoming with their godlike OS it is Windows fault.
I smell flamebait. <°)))o><

:feedtroll
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Haha, it didn't take long for that to crop up. I love how Mac users rant on about how great Mac is and when there is a shortcoming with their godlike OS it is Windows fault.

Yes, but why activation stuff.. is it really needed... Tho my mac constantly crashes... when running microsoft word.. For all other programs it works just fine
No but windows ain't that bad.. This thread only was just created to say that there is now a way to play lfs under mac.. Tho I'll still be using bootcamp to play it...
Quote from G. Dierckx :Yes, but why activation stuff.. is it really needed... Tho my mac constantly crashes... when running microsoft word.. For all other programs it works just fine

Activation is needed when you make a piece of software people actually want. I tried to convert once, it took less than 24 hours to change back to a real computer as the Mac didn't suit my needs and the fact you have software which allows you to run Windows apps on your Mac means it doesn't really suit your needs either.

And if it crashes when you use word means you're doing something wrong as the devteam who make MS software for Apple computers only copy the name and some GUI design elements, the rest is built from scratch, so it works on MacOS without an issue. Truth be told, some MacOS MS applications are more stable than the Windows variation.

But hey, you're a unique snowflake who hasn't been sucked into corporate advertising or capitalism.
I'm going to try this when I get my new MacBook Pro in a week or so.
I play LFS in my iMac 24", at 1920 x 1280 (native resolution), and I get max fps of 50 fps. Perhaps not the fastest rig for LFS, but enough for me, LFS is a great piece of software for this times of crisis... cheap and runs decently in a cheap hardware.

Awesome! (never thought I would end up playing hardcore simulations on my iMac...).
Quote from G. Dierckx :I tried to run lfs on it and it runs at 30fps so it's playable!

That sounds good. Do Force Feedback and online play work as well? What are the specs of your Mac? Do you know of a free software which does the same thing?

LFS on Mac!
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG