The online racing simulator
Help I Cant Go Any Faster
(25 posts, started )
I have an s2 licence but i enjoy the formula BWM. in the Black Wood track i cant go any faster than 1:17-1:18. I have a driving force gt wheel. i tried the default seup and the blackwood race that it comes with. i dont know how to set up a car. what can i do. i feel like im drving agressive and if i push a little more i go over the limit and spin out. is there a secret. i see guys run 1:13's effortlessly. what can i do to improve my times. i know practice practice practice but i already do. i play for about 3-4 hours a day. also is it me or does the AI drive dirty. the stay on the same racing line and dont aknowledge that u out braked them or go the low side the just want to go back the the same line regarless if your there or not.
You need to turn on the flinstone power switch.
More practice. I know that sounds a bit redundant, but I've been playing for a few years and am regularly, easily getting times I could only dream about 6 months ago, let alone 2 years ago. You really will steadily keep getting better from just playing it a lot.

Secondly, race online, rather than against the AI. The standard of driving is (usually) a lot better, and at least a lot more realistic and less sterile than racing against the AI. You get to see how the fast guys take their corners and can learn so much. You'll often find that by following someone faster than you, you take a slightly different line round the lap and find that without really thinking, you've just taken a second off you personal best.

If you like the FBM, try the CTRA Single-seater servers.
And post a replay of your racing. There are a lot of people here willing to give you pointers on where to improve.

Since I'm definitely not the person to do this myself, I'll now stay out of this thread
If you get a setup from setupgrid, you'll improve by alteast 2 seconds for the default sets.
#6 - amp88
You may be able to get some help from this post. Good luck.
You need to change your mental view of your ability. By saying you can't go any faster, you will not be able to go any faster. As soon as you start saying "I can go faster", you will be able to open yourself up to new possibilities!

Do I sound enough like Dr Phil? Hahaha...

On a more helpful note... if you're playing as much as you are, and not getting faster, try something different. Doing the same thing over and over will likely lead to the same results... so maybe try a bunch of different setups, try focusing on using all the track, try being extra smooth, try only lifting slightly in places where you lift right out of the throttle, try just lifting in places where you currently brake. The beauty of a sim is that you can try absolutely anything you like with no repercussions. So experiment!
get a proper setup
Word. I also should add, you probably don't know that people that do 1:13's always break and turn more or less at the same place. The places where they break are called "breaking points". If you want to improve really fast, the quickest thing you can do, is to know all the breaking points and the speeds that it's possible to do for all the curves. Start with the breaking points though, because its the most important. In general you should be turning around the time you stop breaking.

For instance, the place to break on the curve after the straight is, if im not mistaken, around the 50m mark. Now, go learn all the others
Quote from LaimisD1 :get a proper setup

A skilled racer can with with an average setup. An average driver cannot win with an excellent setup.

Just practise, that's the only advice. Be smooth and learn the limits of the car.
Whats the point in him learning with a set that on average is about 2 seconds slower and doesn't handle anything like a faster set? Just give him a proper one, then it narrows down one of the reasons he is slower.
Nonononono, I didn't say don't give him a good set. Just said that he shouldn't rely on a good set to be good.

EG - On RACE_S on FE Gold Rev in mah XFG, I can get a high 1.44.xx or a 1.44.6/7x if I get a perfect lap. Using my 'normal' racing setup, I got a 1.44.09 or something. Now that isn't just down to the setup. It's down to the basic understanding and feel for that particular car. Chuck me in something like an FZR with the WR set for the same track, and I'll be useless, because although I know the track very well, I have no feel for the car. However, when I've learnt to understand the basic handling characteristics of a given car, I will start experimenting with setups, to find which suits me best.
Quote from lbm323 :I have an s2 licence but i enjoy the formula BWM. in the Black Wood track i cant go any faster than 1:17-1:18. I have a driving force gt wheel. i tried the default seup and the blackwood race that it comes with. i dont know how to set up a car. what can i do. i feel like im drving agressive and if i push a little more i go over the limit and spin out. is there a secret. i see guys run 1:13's effortlessly. what can i do to improve my times. i know practice practice practice but i already do.

I also find Blackwood GP a challenge in the FBM and struggle to get quick times consistently. It's one of the toughest tracks I reckon, and one slight error (particularly the turn 2/3 chicane) can cost you a lot of time on the long straight. Also the climbs and dips on the way back to the start line can cost more time if your gears are not quite optimised. Certainly worth getting into an on-line race to get some real experience. I find I do my best laps when I am just a car or two's length behind someone who is just a little bit faster than me - in the desperate chase to hang on to his (or her) tail I find new ways to approach a corner with the result that I set a new PB on that lap. Then I am so shocked by the "new PB" message appearing on screen that I spin off at Turn 1!
Who says practice dousn't work...
In demo I kept doing the same thing over and over again to get all the corners right.
I got 1:39.00 in a keyboard in GTI.

The first corner wasn't a problem. the corner at the end of the straight was my problem...I had to take it fast but keep to the grass without going on or to far away from thee grass. then the next one i had to brake in the right area accelerate and take the corner after that as wide as i can with out going on the grass again.
and on the last corner take it wide and hit the apex at the right spot and take of!

Took me ages to get 1:39.00 but then again it was a keyboard.
So don't really follow what I did but try to do something similar. watch how other people take the corners and watch how it's different from the default racing line. Practice each corner. use the split times you figure if you've done alright.
Key to being quick in FBM is how you come off the brakes rather than how late you brake.

I find that coming off the brakes gradually all the way up to the apex provides the car with alot more turn in grip. The tyre are small compared to the FOX and are easily overloaded so you have to be gentler and more progressive. This allows you to get back on the power sooner (also being gradual) and get maximum exit speed.
Quote from tenmantaylor :Key to being quick in FBM is how you come off the brakes rather than how late you brake.

I find that coming off the brakes gradually all the way up to the apex provides the car with alot more turn in grip. The tyre are small compared to the FOX and are easily overloaded so you have to be gentler and more progressive. This allows you to get back on the power sooner (also being gradual) and get maximum exit speed.

Yeah thats what i forgot to add (shifty eyes)
Don't do what i did and give up on fbm. Keep trying and try to keep your steering smooth rather than... all over the place :eclipseeh
Quote from tenmantaylor :I find that coming off the brakes gradually all the way up to the apex provides the car with alot more turn in grip.

Well, that takes us back to the choice of the set: if you have an understeery one, it will help a lot, OTOH do that on a tail happy set and you'll wake up with a spun car stuck in a sand trap, not so far from the motorhome.

I'd suggest sticking with a set which the OP feels comfortable with, don't switch every 2 minutes looking for the magic set, that ain't going to cut it.

Also to improve your time on BL1, you need a set which will make it easy for you to go through the chicane after T1. It has to be easy to control over the curbs and a bit oversteery under acceleration but not so much that you have to lift.
Quote from NightShift :Well, that takes us back to the choice of the set: if you have an understeery one, it will help a lot, OTOH do that on a tail happy set and you'll wake up with a spun car stuck in a sand trap, not so far from the motorhome.

I'd suggest sticking with a set which the OP feels comfortable with, don't switch every 2 minutes looking for the magic set, that ain't going to cut it.

Also to improve your time on BL1, you need a set which will make it easy for you to go through the chicane after T1. It has to be easy to control over the curbs and a bit oversteery under acceleration but not so much that you have to lift.

Hi All
I have much the same problem ,to check it out I have been running in Kentucky Oval both in single and multi player and last night when I was alone on the track,I also was sent S from one of the fastest drivers(thanks FailurE)but I nevery case my top speed between is 160-170tops which isn't enough to challenge,the only saving grace was the fact that I finished almost every race,and I was only kicked once or twice .I have tried, once in top gear,6, I staying there with the pedal to the floor,and also tried changing to5 going into the bends,and I think i am taking good lines,watching the faster guys.any suggestions.Be kind
Quote from Old Timer :Hi All
... Kentucky Oval ...

I'm so glad to see that there's someone else who see's KY and thinks "Kentucky" rather than "Kyoto". I still make that mistake after 3+ years.

We now return to your regularly scheduled topic.
ooops!!
You gotta use the down force characteristic of the car combined with smooth braking and decisive turning of the wheel. Keep your speed up in the corners. The fast you can be in the corner with a open wheeled car the more grip you can create with the down force. DO NOT max out your down force trying to accomplish this. You can brake earlier to allow the car to slow down smoothly and elegantly. On this car you should use left foot braking. You can even get the engine torqued up before you smoothly release the brake so the transition from brake to throttle is seamless. The Driving Force GT is an excellent wheel. The wheel does not make the driver better. It can make the task a little easier though. Make sure you are using manual transmission. Shifting points are very important as they will effect the attitude of the car under braking. You don't want to shift to fast or to slow and you DO NOT EVER want to force the shifting or rather be in a hurry to get it downshifted to the proper gear. If you feel as though you are forcing the car to do anything (shifting, cornering, braking, accelerating, whatever) you should try another approach or ask for specific advice from a more experienced driver. 1:13s are obtainable by just about anyone willing to learn. My last PB is a 1:14:06 i think w/FBM on BL1. My FBM skills have improved since then and I am sure a bit more time would result in low 1:13s. This was the first track I attempted in the FBM, but it was straight from my transition from XRG to FBM. A different method was involved between tin tops and open wheelers for me.

Lastly.... And this depends on how you operate as a person...but for me, if I am talking on ventrillo or thinking about something else I tend to zone out and become faster. The heat of the moment tends to heighten my abilitys for a short amount of time if the heat of the moment didn't just put me back in the pits. The longer I stay on the track with out restarting the faster I become. I sorta zone out and just drive. Thinking of other things most the way. If I focus too hard I become frustrated and normally become slower then normal. This is my ADHD at work. My brain has a problem working faster then the rest of me allows. Not that I have super brain powers or anything like that. Most of the time this renders me more toward the useless side of things. But, if i have another outlet (talking, tapping my foot to a rhythm, any thing that some find distracting). A way to get it out. The outlet stimulates the over active part of my brain causing the part of my brain that is driving the car to work in a closer to normal level and allows me better impulse control as well. It is like a drain plug for the extra stuff built up in your head. The extra stuff that isn't supposed to be there. If you need another example compare it to the fuel mixture in a real car that is too rich. Diverting the fuel in another direction allows more powerful, more efficient engine performance. Many of my my PB's have been set in practice mode under tire testing or 20+ lap races. Part of this is due to how I zone out after many laps and I am very easy on the car by nature and a bit by habit as well. Some people may have the exact opposite problem though. You really have to figure out which type of person you are. Driving is mostly mental is the point of my ramblings here. The way a person operates should be applied to their driving practices.

Jay
It's more important to have a setup that suits you than it is to have one someone else is fast with
Three quick tips (this works for me):

1. Try different setups. It would probably be best to get online and ask kindly for other players setups (Inferno setups are more suited to hot lapping, not racing, but can be good).

2. Download faster players hot lap replays from LFS World and study their racing lines from different camera views. Practice. http://http://www.lfsworld.net/

3. Take a break from that car and/or track combination.

Like I said, that works for me. Once upon a time I was in the top 10 for XR GT in hot lap ranks... the only reason I got there was from lots of practice and the above.
Thank you all for the help. its really kool that the lfs commnity is very helpful. i will definetly give all your seguestions a try.
I dont really have a problem with setups.. but on FBM
The chicane of BL1.. i always spun off there.. i always lose the control after the first curb..

i think it has something to do with/when i push the accelerator again.

(Sorry for weird msg.. just learnin these terms)

(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG