The online racing simulator
What is up with you guys...?
(94 posts, started )
Hi Live for Speed Racers,

I have noticed around this LFS community, that a lot of people are just getting flamed for no reason. I've seen reasons like someone made a topic for something and there is already another topic for that something. Then when someone bumps that said topic and its very old, that person gets flamed again. I think people really should be able to say their thoughts without getting flamed or dissed. We should all be friends. This is really unacceptable in my opinion. If there is more flaming here, then I would suggest a mod to close this thread.

-NoYPiDRiFTeR
Welcome to the Offical Forum.
:hbomb::bananadea:bananadea:bananadea
Quote from Rotary :Welcome to the Offical Forum.

What he said...

It's something strange around here, but some people seems to like it.
Speak friend and enter!
#6 - halo
@NoYPiDRiFTER - hi.
Well, not everyone but some people acting as you described.
I noticed that sometimes "having fun" or "seeing the lightersides" of a person's post, goes beyond the limits and become something else; bashing, humiliating etc.. but i think its a general human behavior, nothing special here. You can make good friendships here, also you may quite dislike of this forum's atmosphere, its depends way you look.

The more you share common points like cultural backgrounds or tastes more you likely having fun here. If you suggest, or setting up a new opinion, responses will be variable. If you lucky enough, some wise ones come and reply, if not you will be disappointed. Sometimes people can be stubborn as a rock, even you are giving firsthand experiences, they never accept. But nevertheless, I visit here most of the time to check if there are any info about the development of the LFS or if there are any interesting posts.

I say dont worry, you keep going on your way. And read/research before post. No one can have an opinion on any subject if he/she experienced/learned somehow beforehand IMO.
& Respect.
Also, it really depends. If a topic is brought up to rekindle an interesting discussion, noone's gonna complain.

BUT the last 2 or 3 old threads I saw being resurrected were flamebaits themselves, with the thread-necromancer just adding some flamatory post. Now this isn't what I'd call intelligent behaviour, thus I wouldn't treat that person as being intelligent.
All you can really do is make sure you don't do those things yourself (both the flamer and the flamee), and so lower the average occurrence of them by a small, but significant amount.
Also, if you read the anonchment (how's that spelled again?) in top of the forum, it strongly advices to common sence and behaviour towards other members.

But as it is, there are a lot of people from different places of the world, with different personalities, it's doomed to end up in a clash, and usually it does. But I like to belive it's only a fewer part of the memberbase that are thise flame-whore-elite .
Unfortunately it is typical behaviour on all web forums from my experience.
#11 - SamH
Perhaps you'd like to lead by example, NoYPiDRiFTER, and delete your "Proudly banned from [Lc] Liberty Cruise" signature. It is divisive, antagonistic and likely to cause needless upset to some of the people in this community, all for no good reason. It's not even funny.
Everyone feels like that at first but if you jump on the band wagon you don't notice... Don't fight it though
@Gentlefoot

I agree it may be a typical webforum behavior, but there's a bit more than that, I guess... Let me try and share my view on this...

I access this forum almost everyday from work. It's something I do to have a break from work stuff and relax a bit... also (and obviously), I am very interested in what's going on with LFS. I am a fan of racing games (or sims) since Enduro in the Atari 2600, and invested a lot of time and resources in hardware and software ever since. To me, alongside with GPL, LFS is the nicest piece of software ever released.

The thing that amazes me the most around here is about topics on software development. Some of the people here simply overreact to most of related questions... specially frustrating when it's towards new users... things like "can't you use the search engine?"; "oh no this stupid topic again"; or "the devs will let you know when there is something new, so leave us alone"... This can be very strange to people that just spent (invested) some money in LFS and are just wondering what's next...

That happens so often (and usually from same users) that sometimes it feels like there is a small portion of people that know themselves and the devs, like a closed group that no one should be allowed to be part of... again, feels like it... which is something very different to what I'd call a community...

Just to be clear, I am not really concerned about it... and it's not even a big deal... but to me the end result is that I (and some others I believe) never get to participate in any discussion... specially cautious when after 6 months of quietness you are willing to raise simple questions such as "does any one knows where development is heading to?"...

Anyway... back to reading mode, I guess...
Well, for me the problem really is following: People not using their brains. I for one feel offended if a topic is brought up the n-th time, because the single thing it tells me about the OP is that he is to lazy or too stupid to research for himself. Especially since we have this new feature that shows threads with similar themes as you create them. Even more so, if a thread is "duplicated" that's already on the first page of the section.

And regarding the "asking for news". Well, if there is no news on the front page, no announcement, no multi-page thread discussing anything new (which ALWAYS happens) then chances are that there is NOTHING new, so no need to ask really. Just another problem which could be solved if people used their heads for more than just stopping the rain to drip into their throats.
@ColeusRattus

This post, for instance, may be a good example.

Your frustration is more than understandable...

Now... I don't want discussion on how well I use my brains or not, but I can't agree with the news bit. This is simply not effectivelly managed here. Obviously no one has the obligation to tell people if anything is being done or not with the software, but the main mechanism to find out what's new is go log on to lfs.net... It ends up being natural that people ask about the Beta software they bought after months of seeing the same front page at the website. As you can see, I'm a reg user since 2004, and know all about the Test Patch section when it's on... the structure of the forum and all its sub-sections... and even then, I sometimes wonder... Probably not unreasonable...

And if I opt to raise this here, I would minly get responses similar to yours... I happen to not to be too worried about it, i.e., not concerned if a perfect stranger challenges my ability to think... but to most people it would look harsh... or not inclusive at least...

I hope you agree we would go in circles from here... it was a good break from work anyway
*Yawns*

Not this again.

Victor made an announcement covering how we (as the guests of the Devs) should behave here. Shame it was an announcement rather than a sticky post somewhere, as a few seem to have forgotten all about it.
Quote from SamH :Perhaps you'd like to lead by example, NoYPiDRiFTER, and delete your "Proudly banned from [Lc] Liberty Cruise" signature. It is divisive, antagonistic and likely to cause needless upset to some of the people in this community, all for no good reason. It's not even funny.

Thats his own opinion Sam!
Was that meant as sarcasm or?
Sam got a point there, specially since the the author of this topic ask what's wrong with people judging and flaming eachothers and at same time flames someone else.
Quote from The Very End :Was that meant as sarcasm or?
Sam got a point there, specially since the the author of this topic ask what's wrong with people judging and flaming eachothers and at same time flames someone else.

I don't think he ever had a problem with people claiming to be banned from Redline Racing in their sigs though.
-
(MauroDiaz) DELETED by MauroDiaz
Quote from Bean0 :I don't think he ever had a problem with people claiming to be banned from Redline Racing in their sigs though.

I don't believe he claims it as him having a problem with it. Sam just gave the OP a suggestion. A valid suggestion IMO.

A little story. I was once new to LFS. I found the forum on RSC. When I wasn't racing (if that is what you'd call it back then) I was on the forum on RSC. I joined in 2005, and I was reading forum posts that dated clear back to when the first demo was released. My point, I was interested in LFS, so I used my reading ability to learn more about it, all on my own.

I fly RC airplanes (or use to until I crashed it for the final time). It is quite intimidating to fly RC for the first time. You can go out and spend $1000 or more very easily, launch it in the air and within mere seconds, have a $1000 pile of scrap sitting 10 feet in front of you. I didn't want that to happen. I wanted to purchase the right aircraft to get me flying, get me learning, and allow me to join the hobby. I didn't ask on the RC forum, I read the RC forum. I found the million threads asking "what 1st airplane?" I noticed a pattern of X, Y, and Z airplanes being suggested to a beginner. I searched out info on X, Y, and Z airplanes. I learned the pros and cons of those and narrowed it down further. I purchased my first airplane with that information and never made a single post. I was completely happy with my selection and posted my first on the RC forum with my enthusiasm after the first day of launching it in the air and flying.

I flew my "beginner" airplane for 2 years, and crashed it many many times as well. I had thousands of flights on it. It was a fantastic purchase to get me flying in the RC hobby. I had a great experience because I researched it and made up my own mind from the information I had right in front of me.

Sometimes, I wonder if I am the only one in the world who gets interested in something such as RC, sim racing, guitar, photography, or whatever hobby I am in at the moment that actually seeks out information and knowledge on my own rather than finding a forum and immediately asking questions.

I can fly RC airplanes, race with racing simulators, play guitar, shoot photography in full manual mode, fly flight sims, play GTA, and everything else I do without ever having the need to ask a question on a forum.

I sometimes wonder, how did my daughter ever learn to ride a bike? She is of the current generation of children, and she never asked how to ride a bike on a forum. How in the world did she do that? People today have no patience to learn anything. They want instant gratification, and you don't get that by seeking out the information themselves.

The funniest ones are those who ask a question on forums, then post 10 minutes later, "No one want to answer me?" I have to laugh every time I see that.
#21 - SamH
Quote from Bean0 :I don't think he ever had a problem with people claiming to be banned from Redline Racing in their sigs though.

Quote from mrodgers :I don't believe he claims it as him having a problem with it. Sam just gave the OP a suggestion. A valid suggestion IMO.

Exactly. I don't have an issue with "banned from Redline, CTRA, TC, LC" or anything like that.. and I've seen 'em all.

The OP has found issues with attitudes on the forum, and my point is that his own signature might well be an example of the very issue he's complaining about. I don't care if he leaves it or removes it, I just want him to understand that we are all responsible for the way others perceive us - including him.
That was a nice post mrodgers

I guess the people who don't need to ask don't post much and the guys that want to know now post a lot, so you end up seeing more posts from the ask'ers than the search'ers which sometimes gives a false impression of the majority.

Edit: Same goes for abuse in forums. The people who don't abuse someone for what they asked or said won't necessarialy post yet the poeple who want to say abusive things will often post, giving a bad impression of the general atmosphere. For every bad thing that was said, there's probably 10 others who don't agree, yet probably ignore it and say nothing.
Quote from mrodgers :Sometimes, I wonder if I am the only one in the world who gets interested in something such as RC, sim racing, guitar, photography, or whatever hobby I am in at the moment that actually seeks out information and knowledge on my own rather than finding a forum and immediately asking questions.

I generally agree with what you said, and originally I'd only signed up to the forum with my first demo account to have comfortable tools for searching.

Though sometimes coming up with the right keywords or sifting through the noise to get to the point can be quite time consuming (it took me weeks to read through the iRacing thread and I'm still at page 12 of G25 general discussion), and that's why most boards (including this one) keep stickied guides, how-tos and FAQs.

But I think in most cases we should either reply in a concise, polite way, or don't reply at all. It doesn't do any good to the community if every time a frequent topic shows up it ends up with a flame.
#24 - AMB
I've had my fair share of being flamed by a lot of people after things i've done, at the end of the day it's only a game and I hardly play it anymore to be even bothered what people say or do, just play and ignore it.

My Signature is a example of what people treat me like, but I get most of em back on track (the ones I can beat)
Quote from mrodgers :... People today have no patience to learn anything. They want instant gratification, and you don't get that by seeking out the information themselves.

Bah! You old fart! Get with the program...

(94 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG