The online racing simulator
Drift vs Grip
(205 posts, started )
Of course drifting (oversteering beyond the optimal slip angle) can be faster in certain situations, even on tarmac-only courses. It is faster in all situations where the inherent understeer / resistance to turn of the car would make you slow down otherwise. The prime example of this are hairpins, of which we have none in LFS.

There might be even situations (corner & track geometry) where due to the setup compromises a little bit of intentional oversteer helps get the car around the corner faster than you'd be able to without going beyond the optimal slip angle.

It might also be faster to stay on the throttle when you screw up a corner, keeping the turbo spinning instead of going off the throttle to correct the oversteer, which would give you more grip in the tyres but much less torque to use that grip, resulting in a net loss of speed.

Why you get rally into this discussion is beyond me, since the reason they drift long wide turns is a completely different one (the spinning wheels are needed to dig through the loose surface). On tarmac they generally don't drift unless one of the reasons mentioned above applies.

What you have to keep in mind is that a "drift" (not showdrift) can be faster in a certain frame of reference (usually a single turn). If the whole track is your reference frame (you're faster everywhere with a drift) then that simply means you have a crap setup, not that drifting is some magical way to make you faster.
Now even if the drift advantage is for only one corner, what you always have to think about is the whole race as your reference frame. Unless you're doing a two lap stint, drifting will never be faster over the course of a race - your tyres will be shot way before everyone else's. Depending on how long the race is it might be even faster over the long run to take that one corner slower than possible for the benefit of massively increasing tyre life.

Also don't forget that power oversteer in LFS is too efficient. The grip dropoff on longitudinal slip is not severe enough, making full throttle starts and also power oversteer work better than they should.
Quote from nisskid :did the part about theory and practice go over your head, or did u just not read my post at all?

It will IMO never be faster, even in theory its wrong, so im asking you or someone capable go and prove it.
Ah I don't even understand why you people bother with this.

I don't really care about theory, or even understand all the theory behind why in some situations it is faster to not slide, and in others it is faster to slide.

All I do is drive, and it's my "arse-feeling" what tells me how I should go, straight or slide, it's that simple.
Quote from BigPeBe :Ah I don't even understand why you people bother with this.

This is why...

Quote from Zen321 :Please don't be condescendent. I was not with you, so please do not with me.

Thanks.

Now that it is said, my post was explaining to you WHY a high locking differential was still effective even when "drifting" (high angle, low traction). So it was an answer to your post in which you clearly said : "the off-gas understeer isn't wanted on purpose, since it only happens when the tires grip the road and not while the tires are skidding". You seem to be a logical person which can hold a reasonable flow of thought, so I bet you understand now what I was posting.

____

Also.

The locked diff and a LSD works on very different ways. A locked diff means either a welded open diff (so that the wheels always spin at the same speed), or simply no differential at all (which will have the same effect as in my previous parenthesis).
As opposed to, a 2-way clutch pack LSD means that the wheels will lock at the same amount on power and on coast but not always. A CPLSD is meant to "activate" itself after it has sensed a torque mismatch between the both wheels (which is symbolized by the preload clutches inside the differential). The more preload there is, the less torque mismatch you will need to reach the critical value of torque mismatch at which the wheels start locking each other. Which is already very different and more complex than a standard locked diff. If it behaved the same, you would have a poor turn in, while the 2-way is meant to have stability in turning, without sacrificing much turn-in power (in sense of ability).

A 1.5-way CPLSD is a differential which will lock the wheels on coast, but, generally, half of the locking value of the locking on power. If, when you apply throttle and there is a torque mismatch (understand : one wheel starts spinning), the differentials locks itself at 100% (both wheels turn at the same speed), when decelerating and cornering, if one wheel starts skidding, the diff will lock at 50% (the opposed wheel will spin at half the speed of the skidding wheel). This means less stability, but better turn-in. It is a compromise, and it is generally up to the driver or the mechanic to arbitrate between both of them.

_____

"Drifting" literally means : "to deviate gently from a direction".

I agree with you about the deviation of the initial definition, but since you say people tend to be allergic to the actual meaning of drift, let's move over, and call the racing technique with an another name (which I called sliding in my previous posts).

We are not close-minded to your thoughts, and it is good that at least someone can think over the publicly accepted meaning of drift. However, we are in gentlemen, and stating our thoughts as well, which may interefere with yours.
When you want us to be open-minded, you don't seem to realize that some of us here are (tristancliffe, me, etc). Because we accept your theory, and we answer it with arguements. Being close-minded would be not to hear it, or saying that it's BS and don't say why (which is exetremely frustrating, I reckon). Openmindedness do not mean by any chances : accepting a theory without confronting it with facts.

Plus, we explain you in a very calm and soft manner why your theory is not complete (not wrong, not complete). So there is no need to get aggressive or qualify us as close minded, when it is obviously the case that we do our best not to be.

sorry, it was a quick post and I didn’t really have time to read it properly, hence I wasn’t 100% sure what you were talking about.

I think what I meant was that I didn’t so much disagree with you, but that it wasn’t really relevant to my argument.

As far as the diff is concerned, once again, not really relevant here, I don’t disagree with you there, I think you just misinterpreted my point when I was talking about diffs.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :It will IMO never be faster, even in theory its wrong, so im asking you or someone capable go and prove it.

what's wrong with the theory?
Quote from teedot :Please explain to me how your "angle" (properly defined as "line") means nothing in racing? So you're saying that I can just keep going straight on that corner and I'll still win?

You fail at trolling.

Angle, as in the angle of the car, or how far sideways it is. In racing you do not purposely, I repeat DO NOT slide the car through a corner, and it has nothing to do with your line.

You fail at correcting...

oh and btw, search drift vs. grip on youtube. You see a race with the two styles from above, dont remember the outcome, all I remember is that the cars are basically side by side the whole time.
Oversteering around a corner can be faster, and even possibly give you a faster lap time around a track. But that's if you slide on the entrance to the corner, not hitting the throttle and oversteering mid corner. That's because you can exceed the limit of your tires and still stay on the track. You just have to make sure that you have enough traction left so that you can get around the corner. There's still lateral acceleration even when you are losing grip. If you do it correctly, you end up being faster if your tires are slipping around all the corners. But your tires won't last long and there's not as much margin for error.

Quote from f4sttr@ck :In racing you do not purposely, I repeat DO NOT slide the car through a corner, and it has nothing to do with your line.

I agree. You can't really do it near other cars, because there is so little margin for error. But something like Gymkhana requires a lot of sliding, but that's okay because there's no other cars around you.
if you have grip, then you simply are not going fast enough

Usually when accelerating, grip driving should be faster i guess.
Quote from nisskid :what's wrong with the theory?

The topic is titled "Drift vs Grip" and the OP wanted to know which was quicker. We can discuss theory, slip angles, oversteer and understeer all day long. At the end of the day all that matters is which is quicker in practise. Get the absolute best speed drifter in LFS to do a drift hotlap and see how it compares to the world record.
Quote from amp88 :The topic is titled "Drift vs Grip" and the OP wanted to know which was quicker. We can discuss theory, slip angles, oversteer and understeer all day long. At the end of the day all that matters is which is quicker in practise. Get the absolute best speed drifter in LFS to do a drift hotlap and see how it compares to the world record.

that's not the point, he said the theory was wrong, i asked what was wrong with the theory.

I made it clear at the start that it was all theoretical, if you didn't like that then you shouldn't have read on, simple.

Oh and for the record there arent many decent speed drifters around, 99% of drifters only practice "show" drift, or what ever you want to call the mainsteam style.

For a while i practiced speed drift and got it down fairly well, my times were faster that grip, but i was never that fantastic at grip. I remember back then i would sometimes go into race servers and use speed drift, and it would be very competitive, and that was with keyboard.

for anyone that can't get their head around what speed drift looks like this might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-FyLFf5emE

ignore the comparison, but shows the kind of technique which can be used.
Although the racer wasn't very good - poor lines and clearly sub optimal driving.

And stop calling it gripping. Next you'll say that drifting doesn't require grip.
I also have to add that I was a drifter before and I know that it's totally slow. Even if your brake point is later than the racer itself your still slower at the end of the corners.

Try yourself, drive the xrg on ctra 1 I'm 1000000% sure that you wont make a chance. So stop talking crap. It's just proven a million times.
Drift vs grip is a war between some noobs that wil never and nuf said...

So the first one to start this war again im going to flame into oblivion
Quote from tristancliffe :Although the racer wasn't very good - poor lines and clearly sub optimal driving.

And stop calling it gripping. Next you'll say that drifting doesn't require grip.

The "grip" driver was actually pro AI

If that's speed drifting then there's not even a start to this debate.
So speed drifters can't keep up with AI, but a racer can leave them in the dust easily. Thanks for proving our point (and that's with LFS's physics that give a bit of advantage to drifters!)
Quote from amp88 :The "grip" driver was actually pro AI

If that's speed drifting then there's not even a start to this debate.

And that is why it wil also never end its just a pointles topic bewteen drivers who wil never agree with one another
-
(wheel4hummer) DELETED by wheel4hummer : analogy fail
I've always wanted to say this

And on this bomb shell it's time to end the show.
Haha, fecal Hz
1. Pick up 5 books on racing (speed secrets, going faster, whatever)
2. Read them.
3. Try to find a chapter on drifting to increase lap times.
4. ?????
5. Profit.
Quote from Jertje :1. Pick up 5 books on racing (speed secrets, going faster, whatever)
2. Read them.
3. Try to find a chapter on drifting to increase lap times.
4. ?????
5. Profit.

WIN!!! he owned all you speeddrifters
Quote from Takumi_lfs :I also have to add that I was a drifter before and I know that it's totally slow. Even if your brake point is later than the racer itself your still slower at the end of the corners.

Try yourself, drive the xrg on ctra 1 I'm 1000000% sure that you wont make a chance. So stop talking crap. It's just proven a million times.

i can guarentee you the reason why you were slow when drifting was to do with your technique and setup. I see a lot of drifters setups they ask me to correct and majority of the setups i see are laughable.

As far as drift, if you are doing it like the rest of people on LFS then yes, you will be slower.
Quote from tristancliffe :Although the racer wasn't very good - poor lines and clearly sub optimal driving.

What do you want me to call it? Racing would be a poor term as it doesn't only refer to the technique. You can drift race, so it's far too broad. If you want to come up with a better word then please tell me, but i think at least we all know what we mean when we refer to grip, getting hung up on technicalities like that aren't really going to help.
Quote from tristancliffe :So speed drifters can't keep up with AI, but a racer can leave them in the dust easily. Thanks for proving our point (and that's with LFS's physics that give a bit of advantage to drifters!)

Not sure where you got that from :S

Drift vs Grip
(205 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG