The online racing simulator
Drift vs Grip
(205 posts, started )
Quote from Gills4life :Not from what I learnt from rally driving, I was told to powerslide through corners to get through them quicker. Obviously that is on dirt not asphalt but surely the definition would not entirely change.

powersliding is drifting, but drifters dont call it drifting because they think its not drifting but powersliding and drifting is not powersliding.
But drifting is trying to slide around a corner, not worrying about speed but about style. Powersliding is using a slide to get around a corner quicker.
Quote from Gills4life :But drifting is trying to slide around a corner, not worrying about speed but about style. Powersliding is using a slide to get around a corner quicker.

only in rallying its quicker to powerslide through a corner, i think because of the 4wd and the lack of grip.
Quote from G!NhO :only in rallying its quicker to powerslide through a corner, i think because of the 4wd and the lack of grip.

That's what it is. A 4wd Rally-Car will always be quicker slow-in and the max-power-out of a corner (as will almost every other car btw.)

It's because of the relatively low lateral grip on loose surfaces and due to the fact that a 4WD car will allways resemble a a front-wheel-drive at the entrance of a corner more than a RWD. Depending on how you set up the drive this will eventually translate into slight oversteer on the exit under power. But going into a corner too fast will unly result in locking up the front wheels and thus heavy understeer under braking (consider the plus in weight over a 2WD as well).

Bottom line: Powering through a corner in a well set-up 4WD at exactly the right entrance-speed and turn-in will "pull" the car around a lot better than trying to recover traction from (too)heavy braking.

That's why a 4wd might need a little "feint" steering input before going sideways that an rwd usually will do without.
When I say powerslide through a corner, I mean slides into the corner and straightens up on the exit. Not understeering in with snap oversteer on the way out.
Quote from Gills4life :slides into the corner and straightens up on the exit

That's a good definition of a good drift
I'm glad to see another one of these threads, I'm sure it had been at least a week since the last one! Why does it always have to be a competition between 'grip' driving and drifting?
Quote from March Hare :That's a good definition of a good drift

Ok then, slides into the corner and straightens up on the exit to get around the corner as fast as possible. Not sliding around the corner trying to get the biggest angle possible. Better ?
Don't listen to these guys. They are so jealous because we can drift and they cant keep up with us. Drifting is the fastest way you can drive.
Believe me, I have alot of experience and outrun Tristan and beat him by like 10-15 seconds.
Sarcasm
:munching_
Quote from jaykay3000 :yep. Gotta learn to be out of controll before you can really improve on being in controll.

but only in a simulator or you have to spend alot of money IRL xD

edit: nevermind
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Don't listen to these guys. They are so jealous because we can drift and they cant keep up with us. Drifting is the fastest way you can drive.
Believe me, I have alot of experience and outrun Tristan and beat him by like 10-15 seconds.
Sarcasm

oh noes....
Drifting, when done wright, can be as fast as racing. It all depends on the driver, car, setup, track, and many other variables. The only difference is that when racing, if you lose your line you can make an adjustment and be on your way. In drifting, if you lose your line chances are you lose your drift, and definitely lose alot of your speed. If you lose your drift you will lose much more time then the racer. So the answer is yes, when done right drifting is just as fast although it requires you to get every corner and every angle absolutely correct where racing does not.
Quote from f4sttr@ck :Drifting, when done wright, can be as fast as racing. It all depends on the driver, car, setup, track, and many other variables. The only difference is that when racing, if you lose your line you can make an adjustment and be on your way. In drifting, if you lose your line chances are you lose your drift, and definitely lose alot of your speed. If you lose your drift you will lose much more time then the racer. So the answer is yes, when done right drifting is just as fast although it requires you to get every corner and every angle absolutely correct where racing does not.

Wrong! 0/10
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Becasue drifting is not fast as racing but A HELL lot faster!

yeah a hell of a lot faster to crash
I like drifting, but like racing better. Flame me!
Quote from Töki (HUN) :I like drifting, but like racing better. Flame me!

I refuse!

Oh what the hey... :hbomb::bananadea
I know what this thread needs (just like almost all the previous grip vs drift threads)...

Funny picture Michael,

I am suprised its such a popular topic, I have discussed it before on my discussion board and got some pretty good answers to why they would go race vs drift.

I could imagine its come up a lot of times though.
Hrmmmzz.
IMO in drifting its more of a do or die thing.. because u cant really change your line once you go into a drift you can only control what angle your gonna be once you exit via counter steering. Also drifting would be slower because your going against the force of the tyres uhh i think thats how you say it.. what i mean is that your constantly losing speed when your counter steering so if you had zero resistance or counter steer while drifting it would effectively be faster right? Thats what i think anyway

In racing or grip driving you have more control and you do not have to counter steer so your tyres arent acting against the friction as your tyres want to grip cos thats what tyres are for right?

On another note reference to intial D IT IS AN ANIME ITS NOT REAL SO IT CAN MAKE AS MUCH BS AS IT WANTS. though i do like the series ^^
Quote from f4sttr@ck :Drifting, when done wright, can be as fast as racing. It all depends on the driver, car, setup, track, and many other variables. The only difference is that when racing, if you lose your line you can make an adjustment and be on your way. In drifting, if you lose your line chances are you lose your drift, and definitely lose alot of your speed. If you lose your drift you will lose much more time then the racer. So the answer is yes, when done right drifting is just as fast although it requires you to get every corner and every angle absolutely correct where racing does not.

Please explain to me how your "angle" (properly defined as "line") means nothing in racing? So you're saying that I can just keep going straight on that corner and I'll still win?

You fail at trolling.
We have several topics with the same content, no need to start it again. Drifters vs. racers again and again... Boring. Close this thread.
Not another one of these darn threads, Drifting is like stopping in the middle of a race doing doughnuts thinking "Gee I'll Win Now"

Have you even bothered to look at chase cars in drifting events, they seem to keep up fine and their not drifting.

Flame Away
Drift in theory CAN be faster.

The front and rear wheels play different parts through a corner, both taking turns in taking more and more force. When racing, mid corner your rear tyres do **** all, your front tyres are trying to pull you r car against the momentum of the car towards the exit of the corner. when you accelerate mid corner, since you r rear wheels are pointing in the same direction of the car, you are actually pushing you r car against you r front tyres to the outside of the corner rather than the exit. this is what creates the understeer (as well as some diff shifting) and is the limiting factor for how fast you can travel through a corner. depending on how your car is setup, the rear tyres are rarely the limiting factor until the exit of the corner.

Essentially what you are doing when speed drifting (note: speed drifting, not the shit you see in most videos) you essentially shift the yaw through the midcorner so the rear tyres are actually pointing towards the exit of the corner, this means that when you accelerate the rear tyres instead of pushing against the front tyres towards the outside of the corner, they are aiding the front tyre's steering by pushing with the front tyres towards the exit of the corner, this means more acceleration without adding understeer.

What people seem to get too caught up on is that the tyres are slipping so instantly there is less grip, well yes in an ideal world where you can put your foot to the floor through every corner, maintain rear traction and not worry about it causing savage understeer, then you'd be right. but here in reality, you’re not using the full traction of your rear tyres 100% of the time, in fact **** all of the time mid corner.

As for why it doesn’t get used much in F1 racing and other elite tarmac racing like that, well besides the obvious tyre wear, the technique would just be too hard to master, getting a perfect speed drift through all corners that require it is bloody hard, especially to a point where it competes with an already very precise technique developed in racing.

This is where rally comes into it, it is a lot less refined, a lot less traction, less tyre wear, and generally the technique doesn’t need to be as precise. The general physics of traction are exaggerated even though they are basically identical, hence why we see them using the drifting technique.

Drift vs Grip
(205 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG