Closed since :
Yep!
No!
Dont know
+1 for more overtaking and less fiddly stuff
-1 for still being U G L Y
Attached images
new-f1.jpg
The rear wing looks a bit comical, but otherwise it's ok.
As long as it helps overtaking im all for it, it will grow on me quickly though as all things do in F1.
Quote from Mustafur :As long as it helps overtaking im all for it, it will grow on me quickly though as all things do in F1.

+1

I couldn't care less how the cars look if we really get more on-track action on a dry track.
Quote from zeugnimod :+1

I couldn't care less how the cars look if we really get more on-track action on a dry track.

then complete removal of wings is the way forward

Now that would be proper!
Quote from Intrepid :then complete removal of wings is the way forward

Now that would be proper!

I've often thought there's room for a single-seater series with big power and no wings/downforce. Rather than just be seen as a watered down F1 wannabe, a series like A1gp or Superleague Formula could actually offer something a bit different. If the cars were right, and sideways action abounded it really would be "proper!"

Go get a loan from Barclays Alan and we'll set it up for 2009.
Quote from sinbad :I've often thought there's room for a single-seater series with big power and no wings/downforce. Rather than just be seen as a watered down F1 wannabe, a series like A1gp or Superleague Formula could actually offer something a bit different. If the cars were right, and sideways action abounded it really would be "proper!"

Go get a loan from Barclays Alan and we'll set it up for 2009.

hehe well someone did try to organise a British based series using 600-700hp engines with a wingless Lola chassis. they built a couple of cars and tested them if I recall correctly. they had also set up some sponsorship scheme.

Can't remember the name, but obviously didn't come together. They were quite advanced in development I think but this was 2 years agi now
But if you look at the statistics you'll see that cars actually get faster and faster. They just don't get as much faster as they would do if things were left unchecked. Yes, they'll be slower next year. But by 2010 they'll probably be as quick as this year, and by 2012 or 13 they'll be planning the next draft of rule changes to keep speed under control without having to move spectators a mile away from the track.
Quote from S3ANPukekoh3 :Isn't Formula One supposed to be the Pinnacle of motorsport? The cars seem to be getting slower and slower every year...

It's supposed to be many things that it is not. What I love most is when the commentator goes

"These are the 20 best drivers on the planet"

REALLY ??? lol gets me EVERY time

What F1 IS, and HAS always been is a commercial entity designed to make a lot of money. Of course they will market it to cater for the masses who are fooled by what they 'think' it represents. And at times concessions will have to be made, hence the new design rules.
Quote from tristancliffe :But if you look at the statistics you'll see that cars actually get faster and faster. They just don't get as much faster as they would do if things were left unchecked. Yes, they'll be slower next year. But by 2010 they'll probably be as quick as this year, and by 2012 or 13 they'll be planning the next draft of rule changes to keep speed under control without having to move spectators a mile away from the track.

Very true, the fact that they can make the cars as fast if not faster than years before with smaller engines, tyres and wings just proves that technology and design moves on.
Quote from Intrepid :What F1 IS, and HAS always been is a commercial entity designed to make a lot of money.

particularly pre 68?
Yup. The teams were in it purely for the sponsorship revenue generated by carrying logos on the car.
Quote from Intrepid :
What F1 IS, and HAS always been is a commercial entity designed to make a lot of money.

Well not always, but yes it certainly is now. (Though it likes to pretend that it's not.)
Hard to argue I guess. Piquet certainly made Alonso's performances look even better than they were, though.
Dont know what that comment is about, since obviously people compared Alonso to the rest of the field and not just his team mate, but I just noticed the flag beside your name.
Quote from BurnOut69 :Dont know what that comment is about, since obviously people compared Alonso to the rest of the field and not just his team mate, but I just noticed the flag beside your name.

Err get a grip?

In F1 you compare team-mates first, if one is crap it makes the other look good. Kovalainen's average performance has made Lewis seem like he's done a great job. Glock made Trulli look brilliant most of the time.
Alonso has done a cracking job, but people throw comments like "he's got 110% out of that Renault", simply because his team-mate was, frankly, terrible.

So don't throw around the "I just noticed the flag [therefore you're a Lewis fanboy]" nonsense comments around when you begin your post with "....and justice for all".
What justice? Did Lewis steal the championship from Alonso whilst Alonso was feeding hungry children or something?

Crazy.
LOL

Quote from sinbad :
In F1 you compare team-mates first, if one is crap it makes the other look good. Kovalainen's average performance has made Lewis seem like he's done a great job.

In F1 you can compare anyone to anyone, admittedly its easier to compare team mates first as they supposedly have the same material, but the poll I linked to was every man for himself, not just team mates. Kovalainen pretty much sucked, and I dont need to look at Hamilton to say that. I can also say Hamilton is a deserving champion without looking at what Kovalainen did.

Quote from sinbad :
Alonso has done a cracking job, but people throw comments like "he's got 110% out of that Renault", simply because his team-mate was, frankly, terrible.

Again, why would anyone be so stubborn to measure anyone's performance ONLY against his team mate is beyond me. If he is said to have got 110% of the Renault is because at the start of the season the car was crap and Alonso turned it into a winning machine. What the hell has to do Piquet with that??

Quote from sinbad :
So don't throw around the "I just noticed the flag [therefore you're a Lewis fanboy]" nonsense comments around when you begin your post with "....and justice for all".
What justice? Did Lewis steal the championship from Alonso whilst Alonso was feeding hungry children or something?

The justice bit may be misleading, what I was trying to say is that finally, the spanish community admits Hamilton deserved the championship (most people for what I gather), and that poll in Britain agrees that the best driver was Alonso, Im not even commenting about your chicken comment since I guess I didnt make my first comment clear.
Actually I would say Alonso would be my choice as driver of the season too. I did not like him a lot when he was at McLaren, he seemed arrogant and very full of himself, but since he has been back with Renault he has definitely gained a lot of respect from me. He has not moaned a lot about having a car that is too slow to compete for the grand prize, he has just gone out and done a good job, winning 2 races in a row, and helping Renault to develop a properly competitive car. I do really admire Alonso now.
Quote from Gills4life :Actually I would say Alonso would be my choice as driver of the season too. I did not like him a lot when he was at McLaren, he seemed arrogant and very full of himself, but since he has been back with Renault he has definitely gained a lot of respect from me. He has not moaned a lot about having a car that is too slow to compete for the grand prize, he has just gone out and done a good job, winning 2 races in a row, and helping Renault to develop a properly competitive car. I do really admire Alonso now.

He hasn't moaned because he hasn't got a team mate that is better than him.

He has done a sterling job this year. but he hasn't had a decent team mate, and he hasn't been fighting for the championship. When he has both of them he practically falls apart.
Quote from Intrepid :He hasn't moaned because he hasn't got a team mate that is better than him.

He has done a sterling job this year. but he hasn't had a decent team mate, and he hasn't been fighting for the championship. When he has both of them he practically falls apart.

No.

He went from a car and team that was seriously challenging for the driver and constructors title, to a very average team and car. Admittedly the team mate was poor this season, but to take such a radical step down the ladder and still fight and get some wins without moaning and using loads of excuses, is very inspiring to me.
Quote from Intrepid :He has done a sterling job this year. but he hasn't had a decent team mate, and he hasn't been fighting for the championship. When he has both of them he practically falls apart.

How can you say that after last season?

He had both of that then and certainly didn't "fall apart".
Quote from zeugnimod :How can you say that after last season?

He had both of that then and certainly didn't "fall apart".

May I remind you who you're trying to talk sense to?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG