The online racing simulator
These new specs anygood for lfs?
Hey guys! Im buying a new lappy after the screen tore off my old one. So are these specs anygood?
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.0GHz)

15.4" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)

FREE Upgrade to 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 - For Core 2 Duo Processors

FREE Upgrade to 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive from 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive!!

mostly is the vid card any good? k thanks
They're still on those slow-ass 5400 RPM HDDs in laptops? That might be quite a considerable bottleneck, but hopefully I'm wrong.
#4 - Jakg
Quote from Lateralus :They're still on those slow-ass 5400 RPM HDDs in laptops? That might be quite a considerable bottleneck, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Power makes 7200RPM drives usually useless.

OT - GFX card sucks.
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS - For Core 2 Duo Processors
that any better?
Quote from Jakg :Power makes 7200RPM drives usually useless.

OT - GFX card sucks.

What do you mean? That 7200 RPM drives drain laptop batteries quickly?

That doesn't seem like a big deal if it's always in one spot and plugged in since he'd be gaming on it, but if that's the case, why not just get a desktop?
what bout the vid card i said in the post above laterus is that better?
#8 - Jakg
Quote from Lateralus :What do you mean? That 7200 RPM drives drain laptop batteries quickly?

That doesn't seem like a big deal if it's always in one spot and plugged in since he'd be gaming on it, but if that's the case, why not just get a desktop?

The 7200RPM HDD's draw more power (thus less battery life) and make a little more heat, which is why they aren't used (as much).

And for everything but gaming the HDD is the biggest bottleneck of most laptops (inc. mine).

OT - The 8400GS is a decent card.
I'm not familiar with the current crop of graphics cards. I haven't paid attention to that stuff since 2005.
Quote from master_lfs.5101 :256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS - For Core 2 Duo Processors
that any better?

That is an ok at best graphics processor. My mother has one in her Dell laptop. I put LFS on it and it will run, but not as well as it would with one of the bargin ACER laptops. Most people still consider ACER a generic brand, but believe me their laptops have great bang for the buck. I have recommended 3 of these to people over past 6 or 7 months and they all love them. This one http://www.newegg.com/Product/ ... aspx?Item=N82E16834115486 it has a 9500m GS nvdia with 512 of dedicated memory in it. At around $1000 USD it is a real good price on a laptop with great specs and should run LFS very well. Some reviewers said that it ran COD4 very well and it that will run on this laptop, LFS would too.

Jay
Yeah the 8400 is far superior for LFS. You'll be able to run it at higher resolutions and perhaps even AA and AF. Anything graphics from Intel is bottom of the line, AMD as well. Although in my experience the AMD integrated seems a little better, I was able to run S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl on a Radeon Express 200m on a dual core amd system, in direct x 8 mode tho, but still, it ran. Impressed me.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG