The online racing simulator
Quote from dawguk :Off-topic-ish.

If spacial awareness and observational skills were mandatory in the driving test, there would be very few women drivers. I'm not being sexist, but my god the majority of women (that I know at least) have very little awareness of their surroundings. They are more fun sometimes, but sitting in the passenger seat of their car while approaching a roundabout is not fun.

I can't count the number of times I've been following 2 women in a hatchback who seem to be spending more time looking and talking to each other then watching the damn road.

That and a lot of people seem to just shut off and let their sub-consicous drive, usually while going 20 below the speed limit. No speed camera is going to save them...

Infuriates me to no end!
Quote from RossUK :I can't count the number of times I've been following 2 women in a hatchback who seem to be spending more time looking and talking to each other then watching the damn road.

Following 2 women in a hatchback innumerable times and trying to see what they're doing instead of paying attention to the road is pretty much the same in terms of road safety and not a display of good mental health either.
Quote from xaotik :Following 2 women in a hatchback innumerable times and trying to see what they're doing instead of paying attention to the road is pretty much the same in terms of road safety and not a display of good mental health either.

:P I didn't say I was driving all those times!

EDIT: And anyway safe driving involves keeping an eye on the car infront of you somewhat.

Enough off-topicness for me.
Back on topic:

Admittedly, Whiting is not the one to decide whether a penalty shall be handed out or not. However, the regulations state:

16.2 a) It shall be at the discretion of the stewards to decide, upon a report or a request by the race director, if a driver or drivers involved in an incident shall be penalised.

Charlie Whiting is the race director, who apparantly confirmed twice that Hamilton gave back the advantage in a manner that was 'okay'. And, as is also stated in the regulations, "The race director must be in radio contact with (...) the chairman of the stewards at all times when cars are permitted to run on the track" (12.5). So, did Whiting request that the incident shall be reviewed by the stewards after he deemed it to be okay? Did Whiting not confirm with the chairman of the stewards before telling McLaren everything was okay?

In any case, something went seriously wrong there.
Yes, reading that article it seems as if McLaren would have told Hamilton to let Kimi back past if Whiting had said it was not OK. So if this is indeed true I think McLaren's appeal might have half a chance.
Quote from Linsen :Back on topic:

Admittedly, Whiting is not the one to decide whether a penalty shall be handed out or not. However, the regulations state:

16.2 a) It shall be at the discretion of the stewards to decide, upon a report or a request by the race director, if a driver or drivers involved in an incident shall be penalised.

Charlie Whiting is the race director, who apparantly confirmed twice that Hamilton gave back the advantage in a manner that was 'okay'. And, as is also stated in the regulations, "The race director must be in radio contact with (...) the chairman of the stewards at all times when cars are permitted to run on the track" (12.5). So, did Whiting request that the incident shall be reviewed by the stewards after he deemed it to be okay? Did Whiting not confirm with the chairman of the stewards before telling McLaren everything was okay?

In any case, something went seriously wrong there.

In my imagination...

McLaren: Was that OK? Should we tell Lewis to let him past again?

Whiting: No, I think that was fine.

McLaren: Are you sure?

Whiting: It looked OK for me.

<a little while later>

Whiting: Hey, Alan, what do you think about that move between Lewis and Kimi at the Bus Stop? The McLaren guys asked me twice already if Lewis should let Kimi past again.

Donnelly: Did they? It might be worth another look.

Whiting: Whatever you say. It looked OK for me, but I'm no steward. Are you guys going to take another look?

Donnelly: Yeah, I think we should look at that. I'll get the stewards to do it.

Whiting: OK.

Alan Donnelly is the Chief Steward (and Max Mosley's #2 man). So I think my guess is pretty much what happened.
Quote from Linsen :16.2 a) It shall be at the discretion of the stewards to decide, upon a report or a request by the race director, if a driver or drivers involved in an incident shall be penalised.

So, did Whiting request that the incident shall be reviewed by the stewards after he deemed it to be okay?

report or request... so all it needs is a "hey did you see that?" in conversation
It no longer matters to me whether the decision stands or is overturned. For me, the damage is done.

The end of the race was magical. It was fantastic.. but it pales in comparison with the low, for me, of the controversy that followed it.

Since Kimi finished his race in a wall instead of parc-ferme, and the decision to penalise Lewis was made after this, the whole thing just smacks of the excessive influence of petty politics on a beleaguered sport.

In light of the facts of the race, the decision was petty. The controversy is petty, the appeal will be petty, the final decision will be petty.. F1 is petty. They shafted a sport that I loved, and I will never forgive them for it.
Quote from Linsen :On a completely different note: Was Kubica really bitching about not getting enough support from the team and that it favours Heidfeld? If so, that's really lame. He should really be careful not to pull an Alonso. Alonsos stance towards McLaren was a disgrace last year, and for Kubica to take a similar stance towards BMW this year is just a joke, as there is absolutely nothing to back that up.

Are you really bitching about something, which looks like you can not comprehend, was stating facts? Thats lame.
Kubica was driving in unbalanced as hell car, because the team was working for Nick due to his medicore driving, for several GP's.
All this mistakes made by mechanics to Robert's car, Jesus it seems not accidental now...
Quote from SamH :It no longer matters to me whether the decision stands or is overturned. For me, the damage is done.

The end of the race was magical. It was fantastic.. but it pales in comparison with the low, for me, of the controversy that followed it.

Since Kimi finished his race in a wall instead of parc-ferme, and the decision to penalise Lewis was made after this, the whole thing just smacks of the excessive influence of petty politics on a beleaguered sport.

In light of the facts of the race, the decision was petty. The controversy is petty, the appeal will be petty, the final decision will be petty.. F1 is petty. They shafted a sport that I loved, and I will never forgive them for it.

Well said. Sums up the whole incident. All this frame-by-frame forensic analysis is pointless. The sport shot itself in both feet and then proceeded to stuff them in its mouth.

Not sure if anyone's read this.

Quote :I am not suggesting that the stewards had anything less than honourable intentions. However the way events unfolded after the race to the amazement of millions of bemused people hearing news reports was beyond farce. The stewards had gathered Formula One as a credible sport up in their arms and raced to the edge of the cliff.

Quote from pasibrzuch :Kubica was driving in unbalanced as hell car, because the team was working for Nick due to his medicore driving, for several GP's.

Proof?

Quote from pasibrzuch :All this mistakes made by mechanics to Robert's car, Jesus it seems not accidental now...

Have there been other mistakes than the one at Spa?
Quote from OldBloke :

Not sure if anyone's read this.

And the sport was doomed after the Indianapolis non-race, or after Senna was killed, or because of the FISA-FOCA war, or because of the super-licence strike etc etc

"Sunday was the darkest and most bewilderingly stupid day ever for F1." - what?? What with this and SamH's amateur dramatics about how the sport is ruined forever for him... get a grip! This sort of thing happens every week in countless other sports. Most football fans will feel the cheating robbing bastard of a referee has a vendetta against their club.

It's a contentious decision. That's all. Move along. New race along in a couple of days.
Quote from Becky Rose :I actually think it should be part of the driving test. People dont slow down when there is "only a little" rain, when really most of the grip is gone. People dont find that out because they dont normally drive near the limits of grip ... until they have to brake or swerve to avoid something that is.

Yep.

That's something you learn pretty early on as a motorcyclist.

Better to have a heavy downpoar to wash the 'grease' away rather than a light drizzle, especially if it hasn't rained for a while.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :And the sport was doomed after the Indianapolis non-race, or after Senna was killed, or because of the FISA-FOCA war, or because of the super-licence strike etc etc

"Sunday was the darkest and most bewilderingly stupid day ever for F1." - what?? What with this and SamH's amateur dramatics about how the sport is ruined forever for him... get a grip! This sort of thing happens every week in countless other sports. Most football fans will feel the cheating robbing bastard of a referee has a vendetta against their club.

It's a contentious decision. That's all. Move along. New race along in a couple of days.

Good post
Quote from Storm_Cloud :And the sport was doomed after the Indianapolis non-race, or after Senna was killed, or because of the FISA-FOCA war, or because of the super-licence strike etc etc

I'm with SamH here, every time I think about the race instead of the exhilaration I was feeling over the last few laps, I just feel depressed for how it was ruined.

I don't want to just move along. I don't care that it can be just about proved it was technically a penalty with people examining every camera angle and photo still and reasoning to try and justify it. Does it really matter that he got slightly ahead for the pure 'heart in my mouth' moment it provided. What's the point in striving for technical perfection when you leave emotion and passion at the door?

At the time (and still now for a certain extent) it made me hate what F1 has become. Maybe I'm just too passionate for what I think should be by far the most exciting sport, one that I've been following since I could barely talk all those years ago.

We feel cheated and robbed because we want the best for the sport! I know there are quite a few here that just say we're "Hatemelol fan-bois" and its just silly. I don't care who's the one driving, but Lewis, at Spa, happened to provide the most exciting F1 action I've seen for a while. So for that reason alone I'll support him.

And thats the reason I think the penalty is an awful desision. Not because it was technically wrong. I don't think many people at the time were thinking: "oh hang on there, by cutting that chicane he could have gained a few meters advantage and that just shouldn't happen, I better get the rule book out and check though". I think it was more like: "Holy crap this is awesome what going to happen now?!".

Y'know, emotions and all that. Sometimes they can just make things worth watching...
Quote from RossUK :I don't want to just move along. I don't care that it can be just about proved it was technically a penalty with people examining every camera angle and photo still and reasoning to try and justify it. Does it really matter that he got slightly ahead for the pure 'heart in my mouth' moment it provided. What's the point in striving for technical perfection when you leave emotion and passion at the door?

yes it does matter since the fia has been critizised countless times for using a dice to come up with decisions (rightfully so) and for supposedly favouring ferrari (mostly by people who think tin foil hats are a fashion statement)
so it does matter to defend them when the get something right for once and hope they keep up with making people drive according to the rules

Quote :I don't care who's the one driving, but Lewis, at Spa, happened to provide the most exciting F1 action I've seen for a while. So for that reason alone I'll support him.

good for you... i couldnt decide if i should laugh at both of them driving like theyre in formula ford
Quote from Shotglass :yes it does matter since the fia has been critizised countless times for using a dice to come up with decisions (rightfully so) and for supposedly favouring ferrari (mostly by people who think tin foil hats are a fashion statement)
so it does matter to defend them when the get something right for once and hope they keep up with making people drive according to the rules

This decision was just as inconsistent as the others. If it was right why are so many people complaining? The FIA could hardly decide what to do with their own rules. First Charlie Whiting said it was okay then after the race they decide it isn't. In the end this has turned into a bloody court case. Is that what's best for F1 in your eyes??

Quote from Shotglass :good for you... i couldnt decide if i should laugh at both of them driving like theyre in formula ford

Well I guess you will be hoping for the next race to consist of only passing in the pits and the top 4 qualifiers finishing where they started...good for you
Quote from RossUK :If it was right why are so many people complaining?

because people like to complain and their infaillible hero got a penalty

Quote :First Charlie Whiting said it was okay then after the race they decide it isn't.

hes not a race steward so his oppinion has little meaning

Quote :Well I guess you will be hoping for the next race to consist of only passing in the pits and the top 4 qualifiers finishing where they started...good for you

oh please... id like to watch them pass each other _on_ track not drive half the lap on these ridiculous tarmac runoffs
Quote from nihil :I agree that a penalty of some kind was required, but I don't believe justice was done regarding the race outcome. These twenty odd pages are very interesting, a little obsessive, but ultimately of only scholastic interest.

The incident had no bearing on the final outcome of the race, since Kimi crashed out.

The official who made the decision had the choice of either giving a drive through penalty (which had to be converted to a 25 second penalty due the proximity of the chequered flag) or ten grid places in the next race. Its was a very hard decision to make, but IMHO choosing the former was an unfortunate misjudgement, skewing the race outcome in a rather absurd manner.

OFF TOPIC EDIT:

I think that observation skills should be taught to everyone, regardless of transport choice. Its a simple thing, but transferable to all kinds of activities, and at school age, applicable to most aspects of the curriculum. In any case, I'm convinced that a populace who understood how to be aware would be able to slash accident rates dramatically.

but ultimately adding 25sec and dropping only 2 positions might probably hurt far less than a 10 place grid drop on the next race...
Quote from Shotglass :because people like to complain and their infaillible hero got a penalty

no, that was because opinions are obviously divided on such non-black&white issues.

some think it's ok some think it's not, that has nothing to do with people like to complain just because we're not agreeing to u, and the stewards, point of view. (but then there will always be biased fans, be it biased towards Hamilton or Ferrari, and I ain't including these people XD)

Even Pat Symonds has came out and said he think the move was ok (and a whole lot more), article can be find on autosport.

but anyway Monza is on in a couple of days~!
and hopfully the decision taken by the stewards won't make drivers think twice (if that's possible when they're entering the braking zone at 350km/h ish) about whether they want to actually try passing people...
Quote from JCTK :but then there will always be biased fans, be it biased towards Hamilton or Ferrari, and I ain't including these people XD

the sheer number of conspiracy theories surrounding this decision is testament that this is in many ways mclaren fanboyism and some very weird form of british patriotism
as to me im neither a ferrari nor a mcferrari fan and imho none of the 3 top drivers atm are anything worth becoming a fan of... theyre mostly a laugh thanks to the countless rookielike mistakes they do which youd rather expect in a kart race than in f1

Quote :Even Pat Symonds has came out

thats not exactly the point though is it?

Quote :and hopfully the decision taken by the stewards won't make drivers think twice (if that's possible when they're entering the braking zone at 350km/h ish) about whether they want to actually try passing people...

no but hopefully it will make them think a bit more about keeping the car between the white lines where it should be and any decision that helps stop the stupidity of driving anywhere but on track brought about by tarmac runoffs is a good decision
Quote from RossUK :
I don't want to just move along. I don't care that it can be just about proved it was technically a penalty with people examining every camera angle and photo still and reasoning to try and justify it. Does it really matter that he got slightly ahead for the pure 'heart in my mouth' moment it provided. What's the point in striving for technical perfection when you leave emotion and passion at the door?

Hang on, are you saying that if it could be proved a penalty, by science and fact......that you would still not recongise it and disagree.

Even on a technicality if the rules were broken then a penalty must be served... the stewards obviously thought that there was enough evidence to suggest that an unfair advantage was gained and therefore a penalty must be served.

We could go raound and round about conspiricy theroies, and how this descion 5 years ago gave them an afvantage yet 6 years ago the exact same move was classed illegal blah blah blah. In the end a desision was made, Mclaren are going to appeal, although personaly cant see how given that teams can't appeal drive-through penalty during the race, why should they be able to appeal a drive through penalty given as a 25 second time penalty.

F1 has had bigger blows to be honest and came through, I would imagine this would not harm the sport. In fact you could argue that this may bring in more spectators, curious about whats happening. If the boring nose to tail driving does'nt put you off F1, I seriously doubt a little bit of controversy like this should do.

p.s. sorry for the bad spelling, but I'm on the works computer and can't download ieSpell due to firewall.......damn you bosses, damn you all to hell
Quote from Shotglass :because people like to complain and their infaillible hero got a penalty...

You do realise that those who blindly defend a driver to the end are no worse than those who blindly attack them, don't you?

I'm no Lewis fan. I was laughing my head off when he got overtaken by Kimi at the start, after his arrogant comments in the interview just a few moments before. I think he's a big mouthed little sod, but I also think he is brilliant for the sport because he's always exciting to watch.

I am, first and foremost, a motorsport fan, and I don't want results being decided in meetings by people who haven't competitively turned a wheel in their life.

Patrick Symonds has summed it up quite nicely:
Quote from Patrick Symonds :"It raises lots of interesting questions, and I am not talking about 'Are the FIA on the side of Ferrari?' We have to believe that they are impartial, the sport would not exist if we didn't believe that.

"But I think it does call into question (the sport's) philosophy, because everyone is saying we need more overtaking in Formula One, we need more excitement, and we need more personalities.

"And yet it seems to me that everything that actually happens seems to be against that.

"Here we had a great race with people really challenging each other and for why? If it's taken away, then why take that risk?"

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG