The online racing simulator
Homemade cockpit + theater room
(40 posts, started )
Here's what I made in the last 2 days...
42" LCD, 7:1 surround...
Cockpit made out of PVC and blood
Still in beta testing, going to paint it torch red, mount the keyboard on the left and shifter on the lower right, also add a handbreak. And carpet the wood.

Updated pics

The seat slides now, forward or back for comfort

Very nice, but could do with bigger TV or closer to you? my little 26" widescreen, less than a metre away looks bigger?

did try my old 42" TV once, again about 1 metre away and wow, looked like being in the car...

Simon
yeah it's mounted on the wall... i might take it down just to see.
Very unique materials used that, but imo they would look more subtle in black. I can gurantee it will be tought sanding down all them pipes so you have some kind of texture to paint on .

Overall, it looks nice, but i dont know whether it's me, but having a 42' mounted that high and far away would prove hell for me. I recently finished converting my basement into a cinema/games room, and if you have the cash, projector is the way to go.
Quote from major_syphillis :Also, getting a racing seat

Why? I would rather, when playing LFS*, sit in a seat from a...what is that from, a Caravan? than in a hard racing seat. A more comfortable seat means less fatigue, which means more concentration with the game.

You don't see everyday office chairs** made from a Sparco Torino.

*Obviously, if I racing for real I would have an appropriate seat.

**Don't bother posting pictures of the Recaro/Sparco office chair, 99.9% of people shopping for an office chair would not buy one.

***I think I have all bases covered.

****all your base are belong to us.
/me thinks
get rid of the pipe imo. maybe a wood frame or metal frame?
Quote from master_lfs.5101 :/me thinks
get rid of the pipe imo. maybe a wood frame or metal frame?

Cheap and lightweight, and its easy to take apart incase you have to move it or you dont want it anymore or you dont have the room for it.
Quote from jayhawk :Why? I would rather, when playing LFS*, sit in a seat from a...what is that from, a Caravan? than in a hard racing seat. A more comfortable seat means less fatigue, which means more concentration with the game..

yep,i have a BMW 525(e34) lether seat and its veeerryy goood.hard rock seat for racing is no good,defenetly not when the pc is not only gaming but everyday use pc.
Agreed, having a comfy seat would be better. Theres no point in having some uber hard seat which wraps round you to hold you in place, as there are no G's to throw you around anyway. I think that once i finish building my cockpit, im going to go for some HUGE, comfy chair. There's lot's of spare mercede's seats where i work, so maybe i could convince my dad to let me pinch one.
Very cool, The only thing i'd do is find a way to place the shifter lower, maybe attach a board to that tube sticking out on the right? I would also remount the TV so that it's lower, would make for a more immersive experience.
Psst, you don't need red-eye reduction on your flash to take a picture of your racing rig......

Very nice frame. I've been wanting to do the exact thing, frame from PCV pipe. I have the room, just don't have the energy with everything else going on.

Agree, the display needs to be setting right behind the wheel. You have a cockpit, lay everything out as if you are sitting in a car. Meaning, lower your FOV and put the display behind the wheel. Your display is the windshield and the distance between the wheel and the display is the dash area. Though you do have to compromise on FOV and display the dash if you want to see gauges.
I made my setup using 2x3's and a spare seat I had for my car. At least my seats are more suiting. My 20" monitor is about 1/2 meter away.

The seats except mine are not leather. Mine allow for some air flow so you don't get up with the seat stuck to your bum.
http://www.mrmikes.com/images/imagesfierog1.jpg

Reclining and it is on the original tracks so it slides back and forth (This is very useful if you saw my setup).
Nice! Super Mario style
But I think you may archieve a better stereo image if you moved the front speakers just a little bit closer to the middle.
Your wife has asked me to point out that the washing machine isnt working now and there's water all over the bathroom floor.
How's the pedal mounting? It looks like they're in very steep angle compared to how your feet would line up.
...and why is there a clock under the table?

Quote from Becky Rose :Your wife has asked me to point out that the washing machine isnt working now and there's water all over the bathroom floor.

The angle looks spot on imo. But to get them anywhere near to real car style of position, you need to take them apart and mount them upside down on a piece of MDF.

My only concern is how does he stop them from sliding around on that piece of pipe, as they dont seem to be tied down or anything.
looks good, im not a fan of the pipe but it is cheap and simple, how sturdy is it? but about the seat ive got a calibra seat on my race frame, i spend most of the day sitting here as i use this pc for my schooling and it is very comfortable but as it is from a calibra it is quite sporty in that it has large solid side bolsters that hold you in quite nicley

oh yh it also has an electric height adjust and you can change the angle of the seat base as well as the back rest obviously
Nice one james!

Does the electric chair work? If so, where are you getting the power from?
this is my cockpit with my new PC and 22 inch screen if you can call it that
Attached images
IMG_5561.JPG
IMG_5560.JPG
Ginho, that is one funky seat my friend. Really nice!
Quote from G!NhO :this is my cockpit with my new PC and 22 inch screen if you can call it that

Damn good thing you have a cover over that fan there or little animal parts would be all over the inside of your PC....
lawl at the pipe work used for the frame.
Quote from scoobyrbac :Damn good thing you have a cover over that fan there or little animal parts would be all over the inside of your PC....

that fan blows air* out of my pc
Quote from Ca18Slider :Ginho, that is one funky seat my friend. Really nice!

its a very comfortable seat

(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG