The online racing simulator
Spinoff : Y30 class balancing
(55 posts, started )
Some cars got a few changes to make them handle better.

I hope that class balancing is not damaged by this change. If anything, the TBO and big GTR balance should be improved. There's more of a question mark over the small GTR class, where I hope the balancing is not damaged.

I hope nothing needs to be changed, forcing another incompatible version. Anyway, if you thing the balancing is wrong and have some test results to post, that would be good to hear. Please don't post vague opinions on how it should be different. We need hard facts and figures if anything is to change.

Here is the list of physics changes compared with version Y :

Big GTR class :

XRR : weight dist back 1.5% - CoG down 13 mm
FZR : weight dist forward 1.5% - CoG down 5 mm
FXR : weight dist back 1.5% - CoG down 8 mm

TBO class :

XRT : weight dist back 1% - CoG down 3 mm
RB4 : CoG down 10 mm

XRT and RB4 also got a small rear suspension update to raise the rear roll centre a little. This should reduce body roll and make them nicer to drive.

Small GTR class

XFR CoG down by 10 mm and weight distribution back 1.0%
UFR CoG down by 22 mm and weight distribution back 1.5%

XFR also now has a sequential gearbox.
Thank you for that!

Is it possible that we get the coordinates of the suspension pickup points?
I've been wondering about the XRT Scawen - you say that it would be easier to drive. In what way is it easier? I had a little go with it last night and couldn't feel much difference. Is it not meant to slide as much? Turn in better? Maybe I was just using a crap setup.
Quote from mcintyrej :I've been wondering about the XRT Scawen - you say that it would be easier to drive. In what way is it easier? I had a little go with it last night and couldn't feel much difference. Is it not meant to slide as much? Turn in better? Maybe I was just using a crap setup.

I would say the XRT is MUCH easier to drive now, the rear end is much more "planted" and much less likely to break out of line.

Best way to experiance it, is to drive the XRT on the South city chicane course, use the same setup for each, and you will see how the new rear suspension makes the XRT behave.
Quote from mcintyrej :I've been wondering about the XRT Scawen - you say that it would be easier to drive. In what way is it easier? I had a little go with it last night and couldn't feel much difference. Is it not meant to slide as much? Turn in better? Maybe I was just using a crap setup.

In Y any Y30, I went on a track using the same setup and in Y30 it is harder to slide... I feel it.
Would anyone of you guys be interested in doing a Session tonight with the TBO class? So we could give the balancing a proper go

EDIT:
I'll try to be from 19:00 CEST on. (And also with a server set up )
I can get on aslong as it's early, sorta like between 5-8pm BST
I drove the XRT with my favourite setup (rallycross with tarmac tires and better brakes) and it´s just... orgasmic
Thanks Scavier :bowdown:

BTW I did a race against 19 AI with Turbos and XRT > FXO > RB4, but could be because of the track (Aston 8.8km). I´ll make more races in different tracks
Quote :XRR : weight dist back 1.5% - CoG down 13 mm
FZR : weight dist forward 1.5% - CoG down 5 mm
FXR : weight dist back 1.5% - CoG down 8 mm

I just hope the FXR isn't as fast as the other two now, otherwise everyone will be driving it...

And a question:
FZR : weight dist forward 1.5% - does this mean the FZR will slip more when leaving a curve?
It means the FZR won't understeer as much.
#11 - troy
Quote from three_jump :Would anyone of you guys be interested in doing a Session tonight with the TBO class? So we could give the balancing a proper go

if you can add a time to that, i (and lots of others hopefully) will probably be there. i can still remember the good old testpatch racing days (lrf on we1r) some of the best racing i ever had.
Quote from LiveForBoobs :I just hope the FXR isn't as fast as the other two now

yeah... but be quite silly to have 3 equal fast cars when we can have 2.
#13 - Vitr
THX scawen XRT is driveable as in patch X
Quote from Lotsipxes :Thank you for that!

Is it possible that we get the coordinates of the suspension pickup points?

If you click on "susp" view in the garage or press shift+L in-game you can see the suspension geometry. I don't know if that helps with what you want.

Quote from LiveForBoobs :I just hope the FXR isn't as fast as the other two now, otherwise everyone will be driving it...

I believe the main benefit with the FXR is to do with tyre temperatures, and because they are slightly less of a problem to deal with, there is a bit more flexibility in how you set up the car.

Quote from LiveForBoobs :FZR : weight dist forward 1.5% - does this mean the FZR will slip more when leaving a curve?

Presumably the slight reduction in rear weight means you need to put the power on a little later - though the car is still heavily rear biased so it is still a good one for putting on the power early - but I guess you will get higher cornering speeds.
#15 - Jakg
Quote from three_jump :yeah... but be quite silly to have 3 equal fast cars when we can have 2.

The cars shouldn't be equal - the FXR is easier to drive, and so should be slower, as it's less likely to spin out.
Quote from Scawen :. We need hard facts and figures if anything is to change.

Would you like replays from different tracks, using setups like Race S and whatnot?
Not really, I won't sit here watching replays that won't prove anything.

It will be interesting to hear the results of some test races. Though I have some doubt that there will be conclusive evidence in such a short time, I'll see what information is posted.

I think the class balancing will be so close that any imbalance may not be reliably detected in these couple of days. Specially as different cars in a class have strengths and weakness on different tracks.
#18 - Jakg
What's really needed is top drivers doing some fairly long races (as obviously certain cars are faster over sprints but slower when needing pits etc).

@ Scawen - if no-one moans without providing data then I'd say it's safe to say you've done well enough
scawen can you help me?
i have got Y30 but i have reached all my unlocks due to it corrupting my files.
it says you have had all ur unlocks for this week.
can you help me?
I have given you 2 unlocks but from now on I will NOT respond to any more unlock requests. An unlock has nothing to do with class balancing and we have a technical support email system on our website.

I'm programming LFS, not doing forum based technical support services.
Quote from jayhawk :Would you like replays from different tracks, using setups like Race S and whatnot?

Unfortunately class balancing is nothing that can be determined quickly or easily. You basically need very skilled drivers to make hotlaps getting the maximum out of the car, so you have a sort of baseline for the raw speed, and you need ideally a complete league series with many similarly skilled drivers using all cars of the car class on different tracks and race lengths, to see the average speed over multiple laps.

In the timeframe that Scawen has available (~1 week till patch Z?), I guess the only thing that can be done are hotlaps on a range of tracks to see if one car completely dominates the other(s), and then try to fix that as much as possible.
Quote from Scawen :I have given you 2 unlocks but from now on I will NOT respond to any more unlock requests. An unlock has nothing to do with class balancing and we have a technical support email system on our website.

WORD!

OTher then that i think the balance is good, dont really notice so much but as someother people said, it´s harder to break out the rear of the XRT now

BTW; have u done anything to the sounds? engines and such? i feel that the XFG is a little sharper in the exhaust with the default enginesounds.. sorry to get offtopic here :/
Quote :ScawenI have given you 2 unlocks but from now on I will NOT respond to any more unlock requests. An unlock has nothing to do with class balancing and we have a technical support email system on our website.

well sorry for asking i was only confused where to put it.
Sorry for sounding moody, there are some crazy questions going round and round now, people asking ridiculous questions or not reading first posts. There's a lot of nonsense I have to read through to get to the proper info.

I wanted to make it clear to anyone else that people should not start asking for unlocks on the test patch threads (or on the forum at all).

(55 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG