The online racing simulator
believing in luck is just an easy excuse as to why something didn't (or did) happen.

luck is a mix of preperation and taking advantage of that opportunity. why was schumacher always 'lucky', and DC never is?

its all in the head
Quote from aoun :Intrepid, to me, there is no such thing as good luck and bad luck in life. Everything happens as it happens. No, Hamilton in my eyes has had no luck. Monaco he happened to play the right move at the right time and it worked, he won, no ifs.. no buts he won. Not Kubica, not Massa and not Kimi.

Just keep in mind, McLaren put Lewis in a situation to win Monaco, not Lewis. McLaren put Lewis in a situation and opportunity to drive in Formula 1, not Lewis. And McLaren put Lewis in a situation, to be taken care of and have support in his career since a little kid, not Lewis. Anyone can walk up to Ron Dennis as a little kid and say that he/she wants to race for him, but it was Ron, not Lewis that put him in every situation in his career. Thats my opinion (stated its an opinion so i don't get flamed if my post has incorrect facts).

Here is a stone cold almost fact Lewis Hamilton made the decision at 10 years old to go up to Ron Dennis and state that one day he would want to drive for McLaren. That was 100% Lewis Hamilon. What else was 100% Lewis Hamilton was to claim a British Cadet Karting Championship when IMO Cadet racing in the UK was at it's peak. That's what caught Ron Dennis's imagination and his advisors.

Those decisions and actions directly led to Hamilton sitting in 1st at Monaco. Those ACTIONS had a GREATER bareing on whether the 23 (or whatever age he is) would ever win a Monaco GP.

LUCK???? complete nonsense.
I think Ron Dennis has seen enough racing drivers in his time to know when one's worth looking after. It's in his interests to keep up-and-coming drivers under his wing.

Football teams take on dozens of youngsters every year but only keep a couple at best. Looks like Ron Dennis is a pretty good scout if he's got a potential world champ on his first try.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I think Ron Dennis has seen enough racing drivers in his time to know when one's worth looking after. It's in his interests to keep up-and-coming drivers under his wing.

Football teams take on dozens of youngsters every year but only keep a couple at best. Looks like Ron Dennis is a pretty good scout if he's got a potential world champ on his first try.

Motorsport is very different. Football is a team sport and isn't soley based on winning when it comes to scouting players. i think the Premier League was the first trophy Rooney won or maybe his 2nd

The UK only has one British Cadet Kart Championship. So it's pretty easy to scout who is good or not. If you win a British Cadet Championship or come close it means your are top draw. If anyone is lucky it's Ron! And numerous people knew how good Lewis was even before he met Ron... me included
You doubted it Kev? I think people doubt your heterosexuality a bit more.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :You doubted it Kev? I think people doubt your heterosexuality a bit more.

I don't have any sexualities any more, I'm in my 30s.
Imo you can't get a REAL indication weather their ''senna esque''(as the bias prick, james allen would say) unless they start from the bottom, meaning they start there f1 career like everyone else in a midfield or back grid car.

Alonso had had a decent car that is capale of winning races for every season up till now(except 2001), and now people are finally respecting him, i wonder why??

If the Mclaren is rubbish next year and they get 5th in the constructor table at best then you will see the REAL Lewis Hamilton.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#34 - DeMS
Quote from Mustafur :Imo you can't get a REAL indication weather their ''senna esque''(as the bias prick, james allen would say) unless they start from the bottom, meaning they start there f1 career like everyone else in a midfield or back grid car.

Completely agreed. It's something to be assumed that a good driver (but not impressive neither very good) with a good car equals to a winning combination. Especially when engines are so different from one team to another (over 60 HP). So for him to prove his value, he should have started somewhere else rather from one of the top teams.

Quote from Mustafur : Alonso had had a decent car that is capale of winning races for every season up till now(except 2001), and now people are finally respecting him, i wonder why??

Actually, the Renault was not that good until 2004. 2002 he was a test driver, so that would be off as well. Probably the only years when Renault had a top-three car (not the best car though) were 2004-2005-2006. Hard to judge though.

Quote from Mustafur : If the Mclaren is rubbish next year and they get 5th in the constructor table at best then you will see the REAL Lewis Hamilton.

Yup, and that's something I am willing to see, meaning that, for example, Massa is not a top-notch driver (even if he's trying real hard to prove me wrong ) but has an awesome car, thus he's able to get to podium quite often. However, if you look at his time at Sauber/Petronas, you will see that he wasn't specially efficient there - whatever reason it might be -, lagging behind Fisichella on 2004 season.

In any way, waiting this Canadian GP with hopes to see 'things happening'.
Quote from DeMS :Completely agreed. It's something to be assumed that a good driver (but not impressive neither very good) with a good car equals to a winning combination. Especially when engines are so different from one team to another (over 60 HP). So for him to prove his value, he should have started somewhere else rather from one of the top teams.

Contractually difficult I would imagine.

I think competing well in a lower team against some pay as you go driver wouldn't really prove much.

Going up against the current WDC carries far more pressure in my opinion than not expecting much in a Spyker or whatever.

I may be wrong here, but is Hamilton not the only driver in history to join a team in his rookie year and then go on to beat a current WDC in the SAME car?

There are only 20 cars on the grid. You would have to be some fool to turn down a place in one of the best cars.
#36 - DeKo
Quote from Intrepid :Contractually difficult I would imagine.

I think competing well in a lower team against some pay as you go driver wouldn't really prove much.

Going up against the current WDC carries far more pressure in my opinion than not expecting much in a Spyker or whatever.

I may be wrong here, but is Hamilton not the only driver in history to join a team in his rookie year and then go on to beat a current WDC in the SAME car?

There are only 20 cars on the grid. You would have to be some fool to turn down a place in one of the best cars.

He didnt beat him, they were level on points.
#37 - aoun
Quote from Intrepid :Contractually difficult I would imagine.

Yes you are wrong, as corrected in the post above. And if you want to go facts, Alonso had 10 finishes ahead of Lewis, meaning Lewis could have only had 7 finishes ahead of Alonso. That means that Alonso had beaten Lewis in a race more times in 2007.

So if anything, its possible to say that Alonso beat Lewis in 2007.

Get your facts right.
He can't get his facts right as he is blinded by Hamilton Fanboyism - more so that I've ever been blinded by LFS Fanboyism!
Thunderstorms are expected this weekend at Montreal, i hope it happens in qualifiying as well though becuase it would be good to start with a mixed up grid as well.
Quote from aoun :Yes you are wrong, as corrected in the post above. And if you want to go facts, Alonso had 10 finishes ahead of Lewis, meaning Lewis could have only had 7 finishes ahead of Alonso. That means that Alonso had beaten Lewis in a race more times in 2007.

So if anything, its possible to say that Alonso beat Lewis in 2007.

Get your facts right.

that's complete nonsense. Hamilton finished 2nd in the championship full stop end of. That's how the system works, and the drivers RACE to that system. Do you work for the government because that's pure spin!
Why do you have to turn EVERY Formula 1 or karting thread into a Hamilton thread?
Why does every thread have someone that posts -

"Why does every thread turn into...?

#43 - DeMS
Quote from Mustafur :Thunderstorms are expected this weekend at Montreal, i hope it happens in qualifiying as well though becuase it would be good to start with a mixed up grid as well.

Great news! Let's hope it stays true for sunday aswell, would be awesome to see another wet race with a mixed up grid.

I'm hoping for Kubica to push hard this time, last year he almost saw God on this one, so one would expect him to be highly motivated (or scared, but that would be unprofessional), so let's see what he can do.

Thanks for the news! :]
Quote from Intrepid :that's complete nonsense. Hamilton finished 2nd in the championship full stop end of. That's how the system works, and the drivers RACE to that system. Do you work for the government because that's pure spin!

So if Hamiltons so much better then Alonso how many points did he beat him by?
Quote from Mustafur :So if Hamiltons so much better then Alonso how many points did he beat him by?

To be fair it was his debut season.

I'm not saying he's any better or worse than Alonso (I think in some respects Alonso is head and shoulders above everybody else on the grid) but all this Hamilton bashing is silly given that it's just a reaction to the media frenzy. He's not the media, get angry at someone else.

He's ****ing exciting to watch and that's all I want from an F1 driver.
#47 - col
Quote from thisnameistaken :To be fair it was his debut season.

I'm not saying he's any better or worse than Alonso (I think in some respects Alonso is head and shoulders above everybody else on the grid) but all this Hamilton bashing is silly given that it's just a reaction to the media frenzy. He's not the media, get angry at someone else.

He's ****ing exciting to watch and that's all I want from an F1 driver.

Exactly. Well said !
Quote from col :Exactly. Well said !

+1

he is the only guy this year to actually overtake for the lead
#49 - aoun
Intrepid, your still not listening to me, all im simply saying, Lewis did not beat Alonso. I dont give if he finished 2nd. The points are equal so that means They are both equal 2nd, meaning neither beat the other.

Im not having a go at Lewis. Im having a go at someone who cant look through Lewis with the correct facts.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG