The online racing simulator
Quote from Alias Driver :It looks like Sutil may have picked up three places under a full course yellow.

i still have trouble believing no one noticed until after the race so he could get away without a drive though/stop go during the race

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :The best option was to aim for Sutil and hope he got round the turn before he got hit.

best for whom?
Quote from Shotglass :best for whom?

Kimi, his car, his team, his chances in the drivers championship, his teams chances in the constructors championship.

If some back marker is put out of the race to achieve all that then tough luck.

I'm not a great Kimi fan but such is racing.
Quote from March Hare :Kimi, his car, his team, his chances in the drivers championship, his teams chances in the constructors championship.

If some back marker is put out of the race to achieve all that then tough luck.

and that makes him a twat... blatant disregard for the safety of other drivers on the fastest bit of track with walls everywhere you look
"blatant disregard for the safety of other drivers" - You talk about Senna more often than James Allen.
Quote from Alias Driver :Yeah well Hamilton _did_ model his helmet after Senna so it's natural to constantly praise him for being as good as Senna was......despite him being a prick....and nowhere near the man or driver that Senna was.....

I am pretty sure that his dad wanted him to have a bright colour so he could see him easily when he was in karts. That's the reason they went yellow, and not entirely because of the Senna connection.

And anyone saying it was anything other than a stunning drive needs to go and see a doctor!
What about the dozy pair (HK and NH?) who refused to unlap themselves from behind the 2nd safety car and held the race up by a couple of laps?

Their teams need a boot up the jacksy for that blatant time wasting

All in all that was a pretty darn good race to watch, despite the Hamilton/Senna BS live-stream from, from, from........words fail me

Too much was made of McLarens 'outstanding' strategic work (flamin' obvious after LH's puncture) and Ferrari's lost gamble that the rain would return.

Would have loved to see RK score his first victory, I like his style. Hopefully it won't be too long, but McLaren are usually strong in Canada.....
Quote from Intrepid :I am pretty sure that his dad wanted him to have a bright colour so he could see him easily when he was in karts. That's the reason they went yellow, and not entirely because of the Senna connection.

And anyone saying it was anything other than a stunning drive needs to go and see a doctor!

Which doctor? Because i wasn't "stunned" at all.
That race was so exciting I didnt mind the fact I was watching it on ITV.

Damned shame about Sutil, real sad. I hope he gets his reward in a future race. I think if nothing else he made a few team bosses open their eyes.

Nelson Piquet Jnr should change his name, he's mocking his father's tremendous achievements.
To me it looks like Sutil missed his braking point thus he was a bit too long for the corner. Raikkonen realized it too late and tried to compensate by braking harder but he lost it because of the bumps on the track at this place.

Attached screenshot is showing Sutil countersteering into the corner before being touched by Raikkonen.

Video of the accident:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E98DEXVK
MPEG2 PS Interlaced

Look closely at the video and you'll see Sutil's mistake.

Notice that I'm not saying it was Sutil's fault. But Sutil did a mistake which is, in my opinion, the cause of Raikkonen's mistake. This is very common in racing, you can even test that in LFS, if you take a corner a bit wide there are 80% of chances that the car just behind you is going to do the same thing. Most of the time people look at the car in front of them instead of looking at the track which is the only reference.
Attached images
F1-Monaco2008-RaikkonenSutil.png
i think Kimi was hoping to keep the car in a straight line - the problem was that he had no control over where the car went and was "holding on". He could of hit anything (including the wall) - he just held it in a straight line and hoped he would be able to take the corner.
Quote from aoun :Which doctor? Because i wasn't "stunned" at all.

You sound like someone who is complete denial about Hamilton. Probably set your position at the beginning of the year that he wasn't very good, and are now thinking of a million excuses as to why his great performances are not that, just so you don;t make yourself look like a fool. If Kimi had done what hamilton did most of you lot would all be pulling one off.

Hamilton did have luck on his side but so did Senna in 1984 but everyone seems to forget that -

You sound like someone who is complete fanboi about Hamilton. Probably set your position at the beginning of the year that he walked on water, and are now thinking of a million excuses as to why his great performances are not that great, just so you don't make yourself look like a fool. If Hamilton had done what Kimi did nobody would be that surprised.

Please, stop the AS references........ are you related to james Allen?
Quote from Lotesdelere :To me it looks like Sutil missed his braking point thus he was a bit too long for the corner. Raikkonen realized it too late and tried to compensate by braking harder but he lost it because of the bumps on the track at this place.

Attached screenshot is showing Sutil countersteering into the corner before being touched by Raikkonen.

Video of the accident:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E98DEXVK
MPEG2 PS Interlaced

Look closely at the video and you'll see Sutil's mistake.

Notice that I'm not saying it was Sutil's fault. But Sutil did a mistake which is, in my opinion, the cause of Raikkonen's mistake. This is very common in racing, you can even test that in LFS, if you take a corner a bit wide there are 80% of chances that the car just behind you is going to do the same thing. Most of the time people look at the car in front of them instead of looking at the track which is the only reference.

I don't get it. From the footage it looks as though Sutil was braking a little too late and thus got into the little drift at turn-in. Kimi lost it way before that and was sliding widly by the time Sutil counter steered and then, bam, hit him. So how could Sutil's error have caused Kimi's error? Or are you saying it was the classical noob-mistake of following the driver in front of him instead of driving "his" line and using "his" braking points? That would be entirely Kimi's fault then.
I set my position way back in 1995-1996 about Hamilton before he signed to McLaren. But being 10 at the time Ladbrokes wouldn't let me place a bet.

It's not about being a fan boy. The lad made me look like a complete tool in Cadets. He blew people like me away! He had decent support, and good engines/carbs from the engine tuner while we were dissatisfied. More than anyone poeple like me should dislike Hamilton, but that isn't the case. The kid was friggin awesome, no QUESTION, so I find it bizarre how people try to play this 'he aint that good' card when he clearly was the best driver out there on SUnday
Amazing race. So many things happening on the first hour it was hard to even remember them

It´s curious how races this days are decided by small things. If massa didn´t had the error in santa devota that costed him a few seconds he could have won the race be exiting his pit stop in front of hamilton.

Congrats to the british fans. Even if Ham was lucky with the first safey, he made a truly great race.

Still wondering what happened to Raikonnen. He was like a shadow of himself all the race. Very dissapointed also with Alonso. He had a good chance of getting to the podium and just killed it by losing the nerves (and killing heidfield´s chances of getting a decent result on the way)

I would pay money to have races like this every weekend
Quote from Intrepid :(...) when he clearly was the best driver out there on SUnday

Doesn't seem so clear to me, tbh.

Best drivers out there to me were Kubica, Webber, Vettel and Sutil.
Quote from Linsen :Or are you saying it was the classical noob-mistake of following the driver in front of him instead of driving "his" line and using "his" braking points? That would be entirely Kimi's fault then.

Yes that's what I think, the classic noob mistake that even the best F1 drivers can do.

Read my post again, I don't blame Sutil and I'm not saying it was Sutil's fault. It's obviously Raikkonen's fault but Sutil's late braking mistake might be an explanation of Raikkonen's fault.
Many huge accidents already happened here in the past. Cars are doing about 300 km/h before the braking point and there is no safe place where to go.
Quote from Lotesdelere :Yes that's what I think, the classic noob mistake that even the best F1 drivers can do.

Read my post again, I don't blame Sutil and I'm not saying it was Sutil's fault. It's obviously Raikkonen's fault but Sutil's late braking mistake might be an explanation of Raikkonen's fault.
Many huge accidents already happened here in the past. Cars are doing about 300 km/h before the braking point and there is no safe place where to go.

I get it. Just wasn't sure if you were wanting to say that Sutil braked too early and a little confused by the term "caused". I'd say the cause for Kimi's error was his driving and not Sutil's error.

But yes, judging by Kimi's overall performance on Sunday it's not entirely unlikely that he did indeed make a noobish mistake there.
Quote from Becky Rose :Nelson Piquet Jnr should change his name, he's mocking his father's tremendous achievements.

Here's a proposal.

Nelson Piquet Look-alike-but-much-lesser.
Quote from Linsen :Doesn't seem so clear to me, tbh.

Best drivers out there to me were Kubica, Webber, Vettel and Sutil.

Or Kovalainen... heck if he'd have started in 4th he probably would have won the damn race anyway. As far as I recall he made absolutely no mistakes, unlike Hamilton, Räikkönen and Massa.
Quote from Jertje :Or Kovalainen... heck if he'd have started in 4th he probably would have won the damn race anyway. As far as I recall he made absolutely no mistakes, unlike Hamilton, Räikkönen and Massa.

He wrecked Button.
Quote from Jertje :Or Kovalainen... heck if he'd have started in 4th he probably would have won the damn race anyway. As far as I recall he made absolutely no mistakes, unlike Hamilton, Räikkönen and Massa.

But Hamilton got back on his feet and won the whole thing! It's not about how bad you crash its about how you pick yourself up and keep going.

Hamilton was a GREAT driver sunday but I think the best drivers of the race were him, Sutil (He REALLY surprised me!) and Kubica. Kubica for his really good pace and didn't make a single mistake! and wow for Sutil. He was just amazing. 4th place in that car is just amazing. In my mind he is a VERY good driver with a not so good car. He deserves better imo. REALLY sucks for him that he got hit. I felt really bad. :S

So for me, in order, the best drivers of this race were Sutil, Hamilton and Kubica. The worst was defenetly Alonso -_- What the hell was he thinking... Even I don't make that kind of stupid move...
i'm looking forward to canada race
Quote from Alias Driver :
Make of the above what you will and I don't really blame him in the slightest as any professional driver in his position would have been aiming to reduce damage and keep his own car in the race but as far as I'm concerned, Kimi _was_ targetting the back of Sutil's car....

Are you being sarcastic? Hard to tell...

Raikkonen was more concerned about keeping the car under control than aiming for the back of Sutil. At that speed trying to control 4 or 5 tank slappers he had very little control of where that car was going.

Was unlucky for Sutil but that is racing. I've seen far more deliberate/stupid moves in F1 that went unpenalized than what happened between them two. Was it 2005/6 where Sato nailed someone hard enough to roll their car on the very first lap.
Quote from Intrepid :You sound like someone who is complete denial about Hamilton. Probably set your position at the beginning of the year that he wasn't very good, and are now thinking of a million excuses as to why his great performances are not that, just so you don;t make yourself look like a fool. If Kimi had done what hamilton did most of you lot would all be pulling one off.

Hamilton did have luck on his side but so did Senna in 1984 but everyone seems to forget that -

I'm not in denial about Hamilton's skill or win. He is one hell of a driver to me, i think he is in the top group of F1, but what i am in denial is him alike Senna. Anyone who talks about Hamilton and gives reference to Senna is just completely in love with Lewis. You have to face it, and that damn James Allen has to face it, Lewis is not like Ayrton!

He never was, not is, and never will be, and call me someone inlove with Senna, but i still keep in mind hes not as good/like Clark, Prost, Gillies, Fangio, Moss, Brabham either.

[F1] Monaco GP 2008 *SPOILERS*
(378 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG