The online racing simulator
WOW - The Raceabout is great!
(30 posts, started )
Hi,

Just thought id say this as it seems to be a very underused car.

I was annoyed by the ridiculous twitch oversteer and seemingly impossible amount of understeer BUT then I tried a setup by Norbi and it really comes alive. The understeer is still there to an extent but now when you get on the power all you get is grip grip grip!

I now believe this is the best rear wheel drive car LFS has to offer, I urge everyone to try it with the attatched setup and hopefully we can increase the amount of people racing it online.

***Let me just say once again this is not my set! Its Norbis - in no way am i trying to take any credit for it!***
Attached files
RA_bl1_Norbi1000.set - 132 B - 433 views
I will try the setup, thanks

I also hate the snap oversteer
#3 - axus
I recently had a great time with it on KY National - a great combo and I have been in love with that car since then
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#4 - JTbo
It is best car in LFS, imo.
#5 - (SaM)
I never liked the RaceAbout much, it doesnt feel stable at all.
Like someone said before, it steers like a boat. Hence why I call the Race-A-Boat.
#6 - axus
Boat? Raceabout has the best handling (certainly most satisfying if you get a corner right) when setup properly.
I'll stick to my beloved LX6, and if not for its handling, for the very good reason that it has a real engine.
Quote from Nick_ll :I'll stick to my beloved LX6, and if not for its handling, for the very good reason that it has a real engine.

Explanation??
ok tested that setup for almost 2 hours now on Kyoto Ring National and I found it to be WAY too understeering in slow corners. What I did was lower it to 0.075 in the front and change the locked differential to a clutch pack lsd 20% / 60%.

Now that made it handle real nice. If it went understeering in corners just let up on the throttle a little and it would fall into line again
Attached files
RA_RAC Basic.set - 132 B - 225 views
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from Boris Lozac :Explanation??

I don't like hairdryers.
I drove that car once for about 5 min. I had no problem with it in the corners but going down the straight its like driving a u-haul. The car goes back and forth a foot when the wheel is straight. Ill stick to any car that doesnt sway back and forth down the straight.
LOL The RAC is like my ex girlfriend.... Moody and totally unforgiving....

I use a set up Hannu posted on the inferno site. I use it for all the tracks.
It takes some getting used to as well, but it's really a good set up.

I dunno the car seems to throw it's weight around in a funny way when
braking. Kinda like driving a real car with a big bowling ball loose in the trunk.
And the front visibility is diminished with the windshield frame as well

But still It's one of my favorite cars to use in LFS though.

I wish there were more road car servers too. the same ol same ol
GTR ASTON NAT gets old.
Quote from Racer Y :I wish there were more road car servers too. the same ol same ol
GTR ASTON NAT gets old.

I think there's nothing wrong with that combo. It's a good track (pretty easy except the last chicane and it's short enough) for newbies to learn. For me it was the first S2 car-track combo that I learnt and I still drive it regurlarly. But I agree that there should be more road car servers, especially LX4 servers.

At least better than FOX @ BL GP. It's more boring than UF1000 in the Oval.
I have one big problem with RAC: very hard to detect when the front wheels are blocked . I managed to loose front right tire when 0.5 lap was to go on a 10 lap race in FE4R.

OT: There are at least 4 servers with different road cars, atm.
Definately the best rac set I`ve ever tried.
BUT (allways a but!)

The car is deadly in the long soft turns on As Nat.
The first, just after the straigth, it handles OK. The next. passing the cadet pits, is very deadly - Suddenly the rear passes you, and you are gone ??

Ok - You can prevent it from happen, if you lift the foot from the speeder at the rigth place - But ??

The last very deadly point on As Nat is at the entrance to the hairpin. (3 -400m before) The front starts bumping and the rear comes to you.

This will NEVER, as for the fz5, be a car i will drive - Unless the programmers do some serious work on them, in the final version of s2.

Such cars would kill ppl in the real life.

But I have driven som As tracks in this set - Just because I hate the Rac, and I like pain (LOOOOL- not)
My dad have been designing RaceAbout
The car is quite nice, agreed there, but in higher speeds it becomes so unforgiving... that tail just gets so loose. I thought it was that the chassis (or body...whatevah) of the car generated some lift at higher speeds but some one suggested that it is about suspension...dunno. The car is just too unstable at higher speeds. But if you drive it so that you don't allow any drift its a nice piece of equipment

Quote from alland44 :Definately the best rac set I`ve ever tried.
BUT (allways a but!)

The car is deadly in the long soft turns on As Nat.
The first, just after the straigth, it handles OK. The next. passing the cadet pits, is very deadly - Suddenly the rear passes you, and you are gone ??

Ok - You can prevent it from happen, if you lift the foot from the speeder at the rigth place - But ??

The last very deadly point on As Nat is at the entrance to the hairpin. (3 -400m before) The front starts bumping and the rear comes to you.

This will NEVER, as for the fz5, be a car i will drive - Unless the programmers do some serious work on them, in the final version of s2.

You need perfect line to do it full throttle. Try AS3 reverse and that same corner. Correct line and the car feels perfect, wrong line -> death and misery. But still scary
#19 - axus
OMG Raceabout @ Blackwood GP rev! Psycho combo...
Today I tried the LRF-class a bit longer for the first time.
Tried all three cars on BL1, every car with WR-Set.

The RAC was really fun, got some good laptimes (for me) and with the WR-Set, easy to handle. But I had some problems: Like Renku said, not easy to detect blocked front wheels and the steering wasn't really good for me.

The tried LX6. With WR-Set, no chance to get 5 laps. Then changed 3 things on the set and after that it runs great. Got for me a great 1:20.85 and had no problems to handle the car.

Both cars are great fun and I can recommend everybody to try it a little bit longer with a set, that suits to your driving-style.

It's a pity that there are not many drivers that like the LRF-class, but until today I was one of these.

Hope to see some more servers with lrf-cars in the future.
Greetings,
Skill
When the RA is setup well it isn't too hard to drive, probably the least forgiving car when you push it over the edge. The LX6 was undrivable for me until I lowered my FF to 30% (like someone said earlier the problem was driving it in a straight line) now it's a wonderfully agile and very progressive car just like it should be
Quote from alland44 :Definately the best rac set I`ve ever tried.
BUT (allways a but!)

Such cars would kill ppl in the real life.

yep they would. posts very similar to yours were feedbacked at testtime. just so u know its not overlooked. it wont be overlooked in future either. it can improve. we hope it will.
I also love these cars. RA can be so much fun and imo is the best sounding car in the game. I drove it on one of the SO tracks recently and it was a real suprise. I thought the bumps would be a real kill joy, instead it was one of the most excting combos ive driven in S2.

Hope to see more servers with these cars soon, lets not forget about the TBO class either, needs some love .
The race_1 setups aren't that great, especially for RAC. Only Bob's road going setup opened my eyes for that car. I still have barely tested it at all, but I know the time will come Not bad car at all, not bad..

Quote from DratsaB :
RA can be so much fun and imo is the best sounding car in the game.

IMO it has the weirdest sound model and needs more work on it.. The more you rev it, somehow the weaker the sound is. :/
3 months after my first post.

I have driven the rac some times. also on AsClub, where i expected death in the first corner. Surprisingly this never happened, and I drove a very nice low time there.

My new set is for rigth hand corners, so to speak, and it is very precise in the steering. But still - Be very very carefull on the speeder . VERY !!

I will certainly invest more time in the rac, when the new patch appears.

(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG