The online racing simulator
Simple Question : LFS = REAL LIFE ?
Hello

My question :

SO With a G25 and LFS and you ride perfect , We talk G25+LFS,

If you do same on a real car , Will it ride ?

Ty
Only if your car has a USB interface.
I know that drifting is near reality as HEFFE is a real life drifter and we asked him the question and he said that it's almost the same.
I don't understand?

LFS, with a sensible controller and a sensible setup requires essentially the same driving skills, and gives essentially the same feedback (minus g-forces acting on your body) as real life racing. But there are limitations, either because we're at a desk and not in a car, and because the physics have to be defined rather than just existing. As such tyres, which no human being understands, are only going to be 'best guess' (although LFS's guess is closer than most). Aerodynamics is very complex, and a modern home computer can only manage a very loose approximation. Mechanics and kinematics are fairly well understood, and that part of LFS is relatively sound.

So, if you are asking if LFS is similar to real life, then the answer is yes, but still has a long way to go at the same time.
Nop, For simple drive

Example if with G25 you ride 1 , Then 2 speed , In a real car its same ? the pedals and clutch ect
-
(nihil) DELETED by nihil : wrong end of the stick...
Quote from RAM0011 :Example if with G25 you ride 1 , Then 2 speed , In a real car its same ? the pedals and clutch ect

Ah - the footwork? Yeah, it's the same, only IRL you'll do it smoother or end up with a lap full of coffee and your sandwich under the passenger seat.
In principle, yes. Practically though the G25 shifter allows too easy shifting and putting it into positions you wouldn't be able to in real life.
and in real cars the pedals dont sink in the floor, they come from above (if u know what i mean), other then that it seems to be realistic (the 100m i've driven)
Quote from Stefani24 :and in real cars the pedals dont sink in the floor, they come from above (if u know what i mean), other then that it seems to be realistic (the 100m i've driven)

That depends on the car.
A decent car will have floor hinged pedals. They are only hung from above for reasons of cost and packaging (and homologation).
SO yes Its Same ?

I have ride the car of my brother ( with he ) and its same
yep, just the g's missing.
Quote from tristancliffe :A decent car will have floor hinged pedals. They are only hung from above for reasons of cost and packaging (and homologation).

Hi Tristan, I'm just curious why floor hinged pedals are "better" ? I think one of the reasons why I have a difficult time heel-toe downshifting with the G25 pedals compared to a real car is because it takes more force to push the bottom of the gas pedal in with my heel than the top of the pedal (since the pivot point of the pedal is at the bottom of the pedal).

Of course that's just one of many reasons... seating position, pedal placement, pedal height, etc.
Because then the pedals pivot on roughly the same arc as your heels. Hung pedals suffer conflicting arcs, which makes precise modulation harder. What's really odd is a hung brake and clutch, but floor mounted throttle - makes a very odd feeling when heel and toeing

Change your heel and toe technique - it's actually misnamed - very few people use their heel. It's much much much easier and quicker using each side of the ball of your foot.
Quote from tristancliffe :Because then the pedals pivot on roughly the same arc as your heels. Hung pedals suffer conflicting arcs, which makes precise modulation harder.

Interesting... I guess I never really thought about that.

Quote :...very few people use their heel. It's much much much easier and quicker using each side of the ball of your foot.

I don't actually use my heel, I just said that because it was easier than saying "side of the ball of my foot" That said, my technique could definitely use some improvement.
Practice. Every single down change you ever do is ample opportunity. You'll make a complete tit of yourself for a while, but get better quite quickly. I'm still stumped by our Transit - it's a real struggle on that.
#19 - aoun
Quote from tristancliffe :Because then the pedals pivot on roughly the same arc as your heels. Hung pedals suffer conflicting arcs, which makes precise modulation harder. What's really odd is a hung brake and clutch, but floor mounted throttle - makes a very odd feeling when heel and toeing

Change your heel and toe technique - it's actually misnamed - very few people use their heel. It's much much much easier and quicker using each side of the ball of your foot.

I drive a BMW, the brakes/clutch are hung, and the throttle is hinged from the floor.

But for a front mounted engine, wouldn't it be better if it was hinged from the top, making the throttle get pulled directly? Im not saying it is, im asking .
Lfs anything like real life you say?
It`s still a game, and it`s far as hell away from real life. Of course, it`s simulate how a car react and behave very good, but still it`s nothing to real life. Even with you darned G25 wheel
#21 - Woz
Quote from aoun :I drive a BMW, the brakes/clutch are hung, and the throttle is hinged from the floor.

But for a front mounted engine, wouldn't it be better if it was hinged from the top, making the throttle get pulled directly? Im not saying it is, im asking .

The BMW Mini is the same, bottom for gas and top brake/clutch. I much prefer the BWM style gas pedal, much more comfortable.

There is no direct connection between the throttle and the engine in a BWM btw. A computer sits between you and the engine, thats how the TC works etc.
#22 - SamH
Same with our crappy Vauxhall Astra. The throttle keeps sticking and the dealer is charging us £250 for a new "throttle box".
The more you play LFS, the closer to real life it starts to feel. Compared to other racing sims, the dynamics (of mostly the tires) is just astonishing. Even though you can't feel the g-forces, and thus the physical experience isn't quite near what you would experience in a real car, you can apply the exact same skills you've learned in LFS to real world.

LFS has improved my knowledge of vehicle dynamics and skills of car control big time, but it also works the other way - just a few short runs on small karts have had positive effect on smoothness in LFS.
Yes, using a real car is almost the same as using a G25 and LFS... The 1st prize in the 1st Czech LFS League - last year's CarDo Racing Octavia Cup were a few laps in a real race car (Skoda Octavia) on a racetrack (racetrack in Most, CZ). The winner ( windmouse ) did not even have a driver license (too young) and never drove a real car before and he had no problems on the track... On the contrary, the people from CarDo Racing were very surprised how nicely he drove and even followed the ideal line...
Quote from CobraDrifter :I know that drifting is near reality as HEFFE is a real life drifter and we asked him the question and he said that it's almost the same.

i was only recently trying to explain this, the physics of a car in LFS may resemble real life driving, but it doesnt mean its "like" real life. i know it sounds stupid, but physics is only one part of driving in real life.

you have to consider that regardless of steering wheels or whatever you can adapt to LFS, its nothing like real life. real life, you have to contend with being pushed around in your chair, the genuine reality of speed and safety (most important part), g-forces, pedal forces, steering wheel forces, damaging your car. these are the things that properly involve you in driving, this is what differentiates having a bit of fun on the computer and having adrenaline rushes that will hold you alert through a day without sleep.

the computer just doesnt properly relate the speed, forces and safety issues that face you on the track, it's easy to be confident and push your car in a game when the worst that could come from it is to have to reset the game. confidence is a key part of any motorsport, and its not something that can be gained lightly when you have to deal with the real life issues faced on the track.

saying that, if you want to just talk about physics, then yes, personally i think LFS is very realistic. its hard to properly compare the game to real life, as like i said before, you 2 experiences are just totally different, and trying to focus on how similar one part is when your missing the other crucial parts is hard.

fortunately, recently i bought a handy little suction cup mount which meant i was able to capture some in car footage of my drifting at a local track here, and i compared it LFS footage from a similar view. if you look at the steering movements you can see a lot of similarities, look at the timing of the steering adjustments etc. the only real difference is the steering return, the current adjustments dont allow me to let go of the wheel in LFS to let it fling back quickly on transitions like i do in real life, although i think the introduction of a G25 should help this.

Me in real life:
(wait till at least around the middle)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23WzkTHybJE

Me in LFS
(wait for the in car, unfortunately this is all ive got up on YT in the way of LFS, ill chuck up something that demonstrates the physics better another time, but for now this will do. focus on the steering wheel movements, not the arm movements)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjz6aBkTWGE

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG