The online racing simulator
Order of the connection list (N)
What is the server list ordered by, within the server? I can never seem to work it out *haha*
I could be wrong, but I always thought it was your connection status...that is the person with the strongest connection is 1st, and the person with the weakest connection is last...

That seems to make sense in-game anyway...
#3 - t1ger
I believe it is the order in which they connected. Haven't really checked or proved it but I am fairly sure it is.

Tim
Quote from t1ger :I believe it is the order in which they connected. Haven't really checked or proved it but I am fairly sure it is.

Tim

+1 :P I didnt check but in my mind its always been by order of when you connected.
I don't really know, but I would have imagined that a new connection is just awarded the first available free connection ID.
i noticed when new people join, they start at the bottom of list. Then are teleported (randomly?) it might be if someone disconnects, the most recent connection gets awarded his connection spot.
Could it be the order that they left the pits?

Maybe when they join their at the botom, and then as people pit and leave pits maybe they get reorganised.
Meh..
People connect and are added to the list end.

Someone disconnects leaving a free connection 'slot'. That slot is quickly filled by the last person sitting on the list, who ever that maybe.

I'm guessing that each slot has a sequential number and you can't have a break in that sequential list, which is why the last person in the list with the highest number, loses that number and takes in a lower number.

eg:

connections:

number 3 guy leaves:
1...2...X...4...5...6...7...8

Guy in 8th (last) slot fills slot 3

Guy in slot 3 is renumbered to 3

New guy connects, becomes number 8

Just from observing the list, I dont have actual proof. But it always works like that. I don't know how to get the order, on the fly, so I probably haven't helped at all.
#9 - t1ger
[quote=JasonJ;701857]
connections:

number 3 guy leaves:

Just from observing the listquote]

By "list" I assume you mean the connection list at the bottom right of the screen? I have to be honest I haven't noticed this or looked for it either. I would imagine (in my limited capacity) that the above method would take more time to complete than a simple linked list which just re-pointed position 2 at position 4 therefore effectivley deleting position 3!

The above requires re-pointing position 3 at position 8, then re-pointing position 8 at position 4 and then re-pointing position 7 at NULL (ie end of the list).

I could, of course, have it completely wrong and be thinking far too simplisticly!

Tim
The only reason why I asked, is because I would have liked to have the connection list on the LTC website indentical to the userlist within the game. Bah.
LFS connection list is completely unhelpful in finding someone. I dont have any better suggestions of it (alphabetical?) but it just seems like a mess when you're in the game.
Quote from JasonJ :People connect and are added to the list end.

Someone disconnects leaving a free connection 'slot'. That slot is quickly filled by the last person sitting on the list, who ever that maybe.

I'm guessing that each slot has a sequential number and you can't have a break in that sequential list, which is why the last person in the list with the highest number, loses that number and takes in a lower number.

eg:

connections:

number 3 guy leaves:

Just from observing the list, I dont have actual proof. But it always works like that. I don't know how to get the order, on the fly, so I probably haven't helped at all.

Mind you, isn't that how the V3 InSim worked? (cant quite remember now)
Quote from Krammeh :Mind you, isn't that how the V3 InSim worked? (cant quite remember now)

Yup, but there's nothing to say that the UCID isn't some arbitrary value that LFS assigns, but doesn't actually use internally.

If that makes sense?
Quote from t1ger :
By "list" I assume you mean the connection list at the bottom right of the screen? I have to be honest I haven't noticed this or looked for it either. I would imagine (in my limited capacity) that the above method would take more time to complete than a simple linked list which just re-pointed position 2 at position 4 therefore effectivley deleting position 3!

The above requires re-pointing position 3 at position 8, then re-pointing position 8 at position 4 and then re-pointing position 7 at NULL (ie end of the list).

I could, of course, have it completely wrong and be thinking far too simplisticly!

Tim

Yes, I know it seemed mental to me to, but that's how that connection list behaves onscreen, you can see it when people connect/disconnect. Like I said, I don't understand how it kept or stored, so I'm not much help.

Does the hostxxxxx.txt file order it as it is on screen ? Maybe pubstat ? Maybe its controlled by LFS internally so it is never accessable. If thats the case your going to have to write a monitoring systemto track those connections in the same order.

Well, looking at the hostfile now seems to reveal a similar order. In fact exactly the same. Just use that. You just have to reference the nicknames to the ingame s2 names.
Quote from JasonJ :
connections:

number 3 guy leaves:

Yes that is how I have seen it to. Abit strange but nothing really you can do. Would be good if you could do alphabetical, like for teams and/or admins

<[J4F]>Glenn
<[J4F]>Gordy
<[J4F]>Robbo
<[J4F]>Zak
then other connections below in alphabet

This means that other peopel can see if admins are on. I dunno.....just an idea
Thanks JJ .

/me adds it to the todo list
Quote from JasonJ :Number 3 guy leaves, Guy in 8th (last) slot fills slot 3, Guy in slot 3 is renumbered to 3, New guy connects, becomes number 8.

If this is true, then I have to wonder what Scawen was smoking when he thought this would be a good idea. How does this system make it easy for people to program for? Once you get assigned an id, you should keep that id through out the connection.

Number 3 guy leaves.
Guy in 8th stays where hell he is!!!
New guy connects, becomes number 3.
Quote from Dygear :If this is true, then I have to wonder what Scawen was smoking when he thought this would be a good idea. How does this system make it easy for people to program for? Once you get assigned an id, you should keep that id through out the connection.

Number 3 guy leaves.
Guy in 8th stays where hell he is!!!
New guy connects, becomes number 3.

According to the topic title they're discussing the order of the connection list (n), not the connection id's..

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG