The online racing simulator
Quit bitching. I think it's clear that you have issues with servers. Calm down and try to be rational.

No wonder Americans get such a poor reputation. (No offence to the normal ones.)
Quote from thisnameistaken :I'll rent one later tonight to find out.

Don't forget to add it to the Insim Relay. The world needs to know.

Quote from tauntdevil666 :i have been trying to start up a host for 1 1/2 years now and still havent been able to

No matter what you say - the above sentence is hardcoded into any message you type.
Quote from tauntdevil666 :I dont think youll be better than 500 servers.com because either way the service sucks. No offence though because its just you have to now everything but you cant because theres no ****ing people to help you. Thanks though

Im sorry but don't have a clue what you are on about
Quote from tauntdevil666 :... No offence though because its just you have to now everything but you cant because ...

I got you a book.

Quote from xaotik :Don't forget to add it to the Insim Relay. The world needs to know.

Add what? And what does the world need to know? Hello?
Quote from thisnameistaken :Add what?

Your server.
ADD SERVER TO INSIM RELAY *bzzzt*

Quote from thisnameistaken :And what does the world need to know?

What goes on in your server rendered via a snazzy top-down 2D representation.

Quote from thisnameistaken :Hello?

Hello.
Beforehand I wish to apologise to Storm-Servers for making this thread rather tardy.

Quote from tauntdevil666 :I dont think youll be better than 500 servers.com because either way the service sucks. No offence though because its just you have to now everything but you cant because theres no ****ing people to help you. Thanks though

I'm ****ing sorry, but you can **** right off.

There are more than enough people around to help out. I've seen precisely **** all posts from you. If you've posted multiple times over 1 and 1/2 years then I've missed them, but don't you ****ing dare complain that no one is around to help out.

Bare in mind that no one here is paid to support your bullshit setup, we do this because we want to help out. Setting up a server isn't hard, but you do need to know some basics of networking, as you say. The problem is that because of the sheer number of ****ING COMBINATIONS OF HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE it's not possible to help out everyone. There is also the ****ing moron factor, because I've seen posts from you that purely state "it doesn't work".

As part of my job I have to support desktop users as well as looking after servers. As much as I ****ing hate it, it's part of it. You just deal with difficult or less than polite, or less technical people. The bad ones fit all three that just want someone to rant at. Where do you fit in, do you think?

"It doesn't work" is not helpful. It's even less helpful when people don't know what you have setup in terms of hardware, software, etc. I'm getting good at being a clairvoyant, and I was thinking about putting it on my CV, but you've changed my mind.

You seem to have a gross misunderstanding of what these companies do. They are not someone to pay, to give you rights to run a server. They do not support you running a server at home. They are a company that run the server for you, on their system. You are then given the administration password to access it within LFS, and if you're lucky a web control panel.

They are hosting it for you, so that you don't have to set it up.

I'll repeat:
They are hosting it for you, so that you don't have to set it up.

You don't go to a ****ing bakery, buy a cake and then expect them to teach you how to ****ing make it. You take the ****ing thing home and eat it.

I rarely get really pissed off with peope online, but you sir are a complete ****ing, misinformed, rude, arrogant ****.

Some people simply are not help-able when it comes to text, everyone knows this. This is why support companies can't help everyone over the phone and either need remote access to your system, or someone on-site to help you out. The reasons for this vary between misunderstandings, to strange combinations of kit and software. For these occasions you simply need to get someone physically in front of you to help. My only suggestion would be someone from a local shop, or a friend or family member.
Your rants are quickly catching up Tristan's in terms of laying it straight and general amusment. I applaud you.

STOP YOUR DAMN BASHING ALREADY.

You cant blame a hosting company for YOUR INCOMPETENCE.

Go read up on how to run an LFS server before you start bitching like a pansy about something that is TOTALLY YOUR FAULT. Better yet, turn off your computer and never turn it back on. It will thank you, and so will we.

*apologies to the OP for messing up your thread, but this prick has gotten under my skin really fast.
Actually he had stopped. Almost one week ago. No need to stir things up again.

Good luck to storm-servers!
My you really are angry the_angry_angel. I have to say I do like your style, best post I've read in ages. You sound just like our IT manager

Anyway on topic, I've been thinking about getting my own server for a while, so I can have a play around with Insim etc.

My question is how complicated is it for a complete beginner (not going to call myself a noob) to a) run a server? and b) programme the server to do what I want it to do?

I have done some coding many moons ago in my student days, pascal and C++, jees even some hexidecimal stuff if I remember rightly.

Thanks for any input, tbh I don't care what the reply is I'm of to get a server from Storm right now, if its good enough for Kev not to moan about then is must be ****ing great
Alien you wanna learn to do insim. Maybe having a go with C# could be a idea. . Ill give ya a bit of help ^_^

Edit: WOW TAA i only just read that.... O_O
Right got myself a server so I'm of to read up on how to emm well do anything and everything I need to get it up and running.

Thanks for your kind offer mcgas, much appreciated I'll give you a shout if I need any help mate
What you acutally trying to make out of intrest?
First impressions, very good, immediete support response from Storm.

Just need to figure out what the heck I'm doing now , so far I've managed to a) change server name, b) change car and track layout c) only allow cockpit view in server

I'll be back with another update in a week by which time i'll have made Sam's CTRA system completely empty of racers and as obsolete as a commodore 64......lol only joking, obviously must have taken some bleedin work to come up with CTRA system mate
Come up with? I say it's in trouble because they let me at the code.

Luckily nobody's made me actually write anything past moving an EndIf

If the X-System is ever down, there's 2 reasons for it though:
1) I wrote some code
2) We're migrating to a new X-System version, which might result in step 1.
Quote from AlienT. :First impressions, very good, immediete support response from Storm.

Just need to figure out what the heck I'm doing now , so far I've managed to a) change server name, b) change car and track layout c) only allow cockpit view in server

I'll be back with another update in a week by which time i'll have made Sam's CTRA system completely empty of racers and as obsolete as a commodore 64......lol only joking, obviously must have taken some bleedin work to come up with CTRA system mate

Hello,

Due to somes problems with 500servers I moved my server to Storm-Servers
I'll test it with our members at www.deathrock.be
-
Storm Servers (marek100) DELETED by marek100
storm servers
Hello all ,
One think to say the "storm" host works fine ,no problems,ping its ok ,support its fast ,sow if you dont wont spend more then for 500servers go for it.
Thank you ,
Marek
Quote from marek100 :no problems,ping its ok

lol ping its ok ? interesting.our server ping 2xx.(now our server in storm-servers).but 1 - 2 months ago we buy demo server from 500servers.they servers are very good.ping is 80-90.and support is very perfect.if you have ping problem and if you want, Stoney move your server new dedicated computer.next month again we select 500servers.
Quote from Max Torque :lol ping its ok ? interesting.our server ping 2xx.(now our server in storm-servers).but 1 - 2 months ago we buy demo server from 500servers.they servers are very good.ping is 80-90.and support is very perfect.if you have ping problem and if you want, Stoney move your server new dedicated computer.next month again we select 500servers.

well i dont have that high ping (200)but still i think they ar ok for U.K users ,if you from ather country dont bother then.
Thank you ,
Marek
Not sure this is the right place for this particular discussion, so appologies to Storm-Servers.

500servers has servers well located to provide excellent pings in europe and America.

In the OP Storm-Servers states its LFS servers are located in Germany, Europe, so Pings are generally going to be great regardless.

Good Luck Storm-Servers from Stoney at 500servers.
Does that mean server located in germany have a bad ping in general ?
How much do you know about networking ?

Edit. bad typo
Quote from yankman :Does that mean server located in germany have a ping in general ?

Almost all systems are able to respond to a ping, although many systems are configured not to do so. There are also some routers and/or firewalls out there which do not forward on ICMP (ping) packets.

For these reasons a ping is a simple, but very unreliable test.
Quote from yankman :Does that mean server located in germany have a ping in general ?
How much do you know about networking ?

Enough for my tiny brain to get by with.
I have been running one of these servers for a couple of weeks now and (from UK) get a ping of about 80 pretty much all of the time.

We are running the server in demo mode (so max 15 people on the server), but we have been constantly busy during the evenings and have had no problems with the server lagging or going offline.

We have had a very small number of racers complaining about lag, but that was because of their distance from the server (or because they were downloading something at the same time), rather than the server its-self.

We needed a little support when we first signed up, and Storm were very quick and had us up and running within the hour.

The free LFSlapper add-on, is great too !

In summary, we have had no reasons to complain about the performance or aftersales service of this server and thats before considering the amazing price.

We are getting a second server from '500' this weekend, so we will soon be able to compare the performance of both side by side.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG