The online racing simulator
Wireless help needed :(
(4 posts, started )
Hey all...I'm rapidly losing patience with wireless. Before you say 'go wired', I can't. Wireless is the only option I have for Net access

It keeps losing connection, the log continually shows:

Fri, 2008-01-25 16:00:36 - Initialize LCP.
Fri, 2008-01-25 16:00:36 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Fri, 2008-01-25 16:00:37 - CHAP authentication success
Fri, 2008-01-25 16:00:42 - Loss of synchronization :9
Fri, 2008-01-25 16:00:47 - LCP is down

It repeats that again and again. I can barely stay connected for 5mins before it kicks me off.

Ideas?

DK
The LCP is a protocol which, when you connect using PPP (which is what most consumer home connections do), figures out how your end will talk to the ISP's kit. If it doesn't get the response it expects, you can't talk to their kit and your connection will drop immediately before the connection is complete.

A couple of things can cause this sort of problem, as it's fairly low level. One is a "blackhole router" - you can change your MTU size to 1400 as a test to figure out if this is causing your problem. Your manual should tell you where this is.

It could be a general problem at their end, or since you're using true long-distance wireless you could be having a poor connection in general because of interference. Having not dealt with a wireless company, I couldn't tell you
I set the MTU to 1400 a while back, on the router settings page.

I'm tempted to upgrade the firmware on the router, but I dunno

DK
#4 - P1lot
I've got the stupid situation where the wireless connection for a second PC cannot stay connected, unless I switch encryption to WEP. It's a strong signal, I've tried many channels, but WPA and WPA2 encryption disconnect all the time.

Worth a try for you?

(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG