The online racing simulator
Thought about a wheel but theirs quite limited space in the room with the computer. Also I play more other games than lfs so dont think im that dedicated that much to buy one. Well im dedicated to getting fast so maybe I should
#52 - BYN
You and I use a gamepad for similar reasons... I use my PC and the computer desk for so many things. Gaming or LFS is just one of them. Having to setup the wheel, play the game and then put the wheel back after playing really puts me off...

Have you tried this Logitech gamepad?
http://www.logitech.com/index. ... /devices/292&cl=gb,en
That's an Xbox-style gamepad but from Logitech. Not sure about the quality though.

I've tried the Thrustmaster Run'N' Drive 3 in 1 Rumble Force cos I was quite interested in that "wheel" on the gamepad. But it's just rubbish... The triggers were horrible and the "wheel" didn't really help steering at all.
http://www.thrustmaster.com/pr ... uctID=35&PlatformID=5

However, I tried another Thrustmaster gamepad called Wireless Dual Trigger earlier and it felt quite good:
http://www.thrustmaster.com/pr ... uctID=50&PlatformID=5

What gamepads are you using besides the Xbox 360 wireless?
My brother has the logitech x-box chill stream pad but I found it the same problem with the x-box controllers (the movement for the anolog sticks is a bit small making it more sensative) The bonus with the logitech pad hough is that it comewith drivers that actually work for pc and as far as i know you can change the settings in logitech profiler. At the moment iv gone back to my Logitech Dual Action gamepad as that what im used to. The main thing missing on this gamepad is not having triggers, maybe if anyone knows of any PS3 joypads with triggers that work for pc let me know . Overall I think the sensitivity is down to personal preference, actually improved my times by upping it making it quite repsonsive as all my efforts just resulted in me turning my anolog stick left and the wheels trying to catch up . So far iv Balanced the wheels and the anolog stick to move at the same degree. I just need to be REALLY steady with my thumb which g=can get tiring for my thumb .

Still though looking at XFG on Bl1 I have gathered info that the WR holder "Stallone" used an x-box pad, so obviously hes comfortable with the sensitivity, also its interesting seeing his use of the triggers for brake and acceleration. Must find a ps3 pad compatable with pc
#54 - BYN
Lucky me I didn't buy the Logitech Chill Stream pad...

Does the stick on Logitech Dual Action pad have bigger moving range than Xbox? I haven't got anything to measure but the range of the Xbox stick is roughly around 50 degrees? How much is that for the Logitech Dual Action? Well, anyway, I can't accept a combined axis for gas and brake...

Does Stallone28 really use an Xbox 360 pad?! That sounds promising!! Those in 2nd, 3rd and 4th positions currently use a mouse (if m stands for mouse...).

Actually I used to use Wheel turn compensation = 0 and Analogue steer smooth = 0.3! I'll min all of the them and see what's gonna happen!

Do you know this pad:
http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=260&lang=en
That's actually for PS2 but looks like a wii pad. But can't be used on a PC...

Also, what about the originally PS3 pad? I'm quite interested in it's motion sensor axis. Is that any good? Can it to be used on a PC?
Actually comparing both the joypads at the moment, the logitech one looks to have a bigger moving range m=but measuring them they seem to be fairly much the same Think the reason for this is that the Logitechs anolog stick sits in a square hole rather than the x-boxs circular one. Did some research and found some custom made drivers to make the PS3 pad work on pc! Obviously you have to keep it connected through the usb cable and dont know where the triggers actually work or are detected as buttons. They stated that the sixaxis sensors dont work yet but the wii remote sensors work on pc, so they seem to think they it may work in the future. If I get my hands on a PS3 controller soon ill post what I find
duuuuuude! no! the reason i didn't choose the six axies is because it has no analog triggers! the xbox allows for smooth control of the pedals, if you wanted buttons then why not buy a keyboard instead?

...and the tilting doesn't count... what are u going to do??? use the analog sticks as pedals and use the tilt for steering? or vica versa?
#57 - BYN
Earlier I said the Thrustmaster Run'N' Drive 3 in 1 Rumble Force was rubbish but I appreciate the designers' original ideas of having a "wheel" on a pad (though not really good) and also the two buttons on the back of the pad (which can be pressed by your middle fingers, though they are located in some ackward positions and hence difficult to reach...). But the quality of the pad is just bad... a waste of design efforts... With the ordinary pads, your middle, ring and little fingers on both hands can't be used. That's kind of a waste don't you think so?

I personally think the Xbox-style pad is a huge improvement over the PS one (mainly cos of the triggers). Now only if they have buttons on the back of the pad and also something (triggers maybe?) on the back for the CLUTCH!!!

Not sure about how well the PS3 Sixaxis works for racing sims though... so would like to hear any feedback! But I've got the gut feeling that it'll have worse sensitivity issues compared to the Xbox pad.

chris which PS3 controller driver did you get? I just found the one on http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45209.
you know, i thought maybe there should be 4 triggers...

L1-brake
R1-throttle
L2-ebrake
R2-clutch

... but my friend commented that people are not usually dexterous with their hands(i am a violinist, guitarist, and pianist). i am now used to controlling a whole car with my hands... my cousin who i tried introducing the game with nearly fried his brain trying to toeheel before a corner... and he is a frequent autocrosser with an IS250.

note:classical guitar style, no pick, no strum, just five fingers.
#59 - BYN
Hey atlantian if by ebrake you mean handbrake than that's it! I just missed that one!

Yea having all L1, L2, R1, R2 as triggers is actually perfect for racing games! And also some buttons on the back of the pad would be nice so the ring and little fingers can be used too!

I use the left trigger for brake and left stick for steering on my Xbox pad. At first, I found it "impossible" to trail brake and steer at the same time cos I had to use the same left hand. Now it's just second nature to me! So I guess we just need some practice to get used to whatever config there is on the pad!

An L1, L2, R1, R2 all triggers pad would be excellent! Well, Thrustmaster came up with a pad with a "wheel" on it so I guess nothing's impossible!
well i have the right analog up for clutch
and left analog for ebrake so i think xbox con is perfect.

but i said that the normal human don't have enough brain cells "partitioned" for using their digits... unless you are a musician or a craftsman, or a surgen
#61 - N1Te
But if i don't use the triggers, I can't have like 1/2 gas to go just below 80 in the pits.
Quote from atlantian :duuuuuude! no! the reason i didn't choose the six axies is because it has no analog triggers! the xbox allows for smooth control of the pedals, if you wanted buttons then why not buy a keyboard instead?

...and the tilting doesn't count... what are u going to do??? use the analog sticks as pedals and use the tilt for steering? or vica versa?

Obviously I did not want the sixaxies PS3 pad for the tilting feature, (infact iv played with the tilting feature on the ps3 and so far its terrible! slight delay from your movment). Im more comfortable holding a ps2/3 pad than an x-box 360 pad. And the benifit of having the PS3 was having the triggers, but you have just said that the triggers dont work (or are not anolog) so im guessing you have tried this already? Dont think brain cells have anything to do with how well you can multitask on a joypad, if you practice you adapt to that movement more easily therefore becoming more natural, that point almost looked as if it was an insult to people who dont use joypads from my point of view , Either way I play guitar so my digits are fairy competant.
idk if it's me or i think some people misunderstood me for saying you need to "superhuman digits" to use xbox cons. but i was talking about a con with 4 triggers...no such con...
#64 - BYN
So the PS3 Sixaxis has delay?! Is it very sensitive like other pads too?

Yeah I agree people just get used to things after practice.
Do you guys know how to ride a motorbike? I don't. But they seem to control hell loads of things using their hands... I'll wait for the 2-stick, 4-trigger pad with buttons on the back and a good driver for PC included... (wishful thinking?...)
atlantian,
it may have been me who understood you ( sorry, was not suppose to be an attack on you ). If you meant people who use heir digits for activites such as guitar/craftsmen I agree they would find it easier to adapt to a joypad easier. I just disagreed that brain cells have anything to do with it .

BYN,
I havent tried the PS3 Joypad yet on pc just from experience of using it on the Playstation 3 I thought the 6 axis motions sensors had a slight delay to your movement (game I used it on was motorstorm + that flying multiplayer one?). Dont know how sensitive the anolog sticks are on pc yet, need to steal a ps3 pad off my brother first
#66 - BYN
hey chris I want to know the PS3 pad on PS3, did you feel delay only? Was the axis sensitive for steering/gas/brake? I guess the motion sensor axes are mainly for things like action games where precision is negligible but controlling the "hero" by your own motions is utter FUN!
Sont know what you mean BYN, I dont think its possible to set acceleration and brakes to on those sensors (like you would want to). The buttons/anolog sticks adn triggers are work nice on the PS3, i just said the "sixaxis motions" feature on the joypad had slightly delayed input.
actually, i tried GT5 Prologue at my friend's house, and the six axis is actually VERY analogue... with the triggers, having the same range of motion as the xbox trigs, and there is force feedback on those triggers... the brakes vibrate, but there was no rumble.
#69 - BYN
Wait a minute!!! I didn't know the PS3 pad had triggers!!!
I finally understand what you guys are talking about...

So the PS3 triggers have about the same range of motion as the Xbox triggers?
I'd love to know if the analogue sticks are good too (too sensitive or not)!
With the PS3 Sixaxis drivers for PC we can find on the net, can we tweak deadzones or remap buttons and axes like XBCD?

I've heard of the new PS3 Dualshock 3, which has rumble. Not sure if it's available yet outside Japan tho.

Edit: And what about the Wii Classic Controller? Will it work with a PC without having to connect it to that Wii Remote?

Done some research on the PS3 SIXAXIS driver for PC.
The driver mentioned on the website I quoted seems to be the only one available now...
It seems to just make SIXAXIS work on PC but it hasn't got any config interface like that of XBCD...
It only supports USB (not Bluetooth) and motion sensor isn't supported.
BTW, the original driver was again written by a Japanese, I guess.

It'd be interesting if the range of motion for the triggers was about the same as that of Xbox 360 and if the sticks had better precision!
I'd love to get a DUALSHOCK 3 and have a try!
#70 - N1Te
Quote from BYN :So the PS3 Sixaxis has delay?! Is it very sensitive like other pads too?

Yeah I agree people just get used to things after practice.
Do you guys know how to ride a motorbike? I don't. But they seem to control hell loads of things using their hands... I'll wait for the 2-stick, 4-trigger pad with buttons on the back and a good driver for PC included... (wishful thinking?...)

PS3 Sixaxis motion sensitivity has no delays. Don't listen to him...

I played the other day, and it followed my movements exactly. Either the controller he used had low battery, was in bad condition, or the motion sensor in the PS3 was broken. All other times it was fine.
#71 - BYN
Good to hear that! Well different people feel differently I guess.

So you've used the PS3 controller on PS3. Apart from the question of having delay or not, did you find the sticks, triggers and motion sensor axes too sensitive for racing games?
#72 - CSU1
Hi Everybody all this is well and good and triggers make great gas and brake control. But it is impossible to steer with good precision and endurance, as racing sims do not offer the same nannying support by smoothing steering and throttle/brake axis that 'games' offer.

Don't get me wrong, gamepads are/where a lot of fun to drive with, and i've played with pad for two and a half years and had some excellent races. The only result will be you getting frustrated as you get faster in LFS. You'll then decide to dump it and play a game instead, or you go out and buy a wheel. If you all want my advice, buy any wheel and save yourselfs the frustration and waste of 'time'.
Quote from N1Te :PS3 Sixaxis motion sensitivity has no delays. Don't listen to him...

I played the other day, and it followed my movements exactly. Either the controller he used had low battery, was in bad condition, or the motion sensor in the PS3 was broken. All other times it was fine.

I used the motion sensors for steering on motorstorm and to me felt like there was a slight delay(Pad was charged). After doing some research I found mixed results people saying its "delayed" and also people saying its "too sensitive". I heard somewhere there may be an option to change this? If so I guess it does not matter as you would be able to tweak it to your own delight.

and CSU1, nice of you to join us and your "Guide: Using a Gamepad with LFS" has been very helpful

To an extent though I think LFS has dont quite well (far better than other games/sims) with joypad/mouse/keyboard support with crucial options such as: button control rates, Anolog steer smooth and such. I would like a wheel but room/time it would spend attached to my desk would be a hassle. Your opinion is very much welcome .Though so far I think I achieve quite reasonable results in the XFG im just a bit worried about faster/rear wheeled cars.
#74 - CSU1
Quote from lil chris : so far I think I achieve quite reasonable results in the XFG im just a bit worried about faster/rear wheeled cars.

The xfg was my car of choice too, that and the fox are easy to drive with the pad but everything else is just impossible RAC, LX being the two most difficult imo.
#75 - BYN
Quote from lil chris :I used the motion sensors for steering on motorstorm and to me felt like there was a slight delay(Pad was charged). After doing some research I found mixed results people saying its "delayed" and also people saying its "too sensitive". I heard somewhere there may be an option to change this? If so I guess it does not matter as you would be able to tweak it to your own delight.

An option to change the sensitivity of the motion sensor, did you mean doing it on PS3, or PC?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG