The online racing simulator
#26 - BYN
Good to hear that!

Have you figured out how to configure the controller using that driver's interface?
At first I found that really confusing as it was quite different from XBCD's one...
#27 - BYN
The 360 wireless receiver is needed if you want to use the wireless controller on PC.
I'm using the same setup and the driver I mentioned above should work for you!
Quote from BYN :No problem mate! Here you go...

English version:
http://x360wc.tripod.com/index.html

Original Japanese version:
http://www.katch.ne.jp/~morii/x360wc/index.html

Please note that the English version was based on the original Japanese version published on 2007/08/05 but on the Japanese site, I saw the updated date for those drivers was 2007/10/13!!! I'm not sure if there are any differences though.

I'm using the most up-to-date Japanese version and haven't tried the English one but I guess the English version should be ok.

Unlike XBCD, you don't need to install the original Microsucks driver so if you've got that installed maybe you should unstall that before installing this.

I'm using the driver myself and it works like a dream so if you've got any questions, feel free to ask!

I hope LFS can support controller profiles in the future so that I can save two profiles, one for the wheel and one for the gamepad......

May I ask how the anolog sensitivity is on those drivers? on the XBCD's ones I find it still way too sensitive and cant find a way to cahnge it as things seem a bit muddled up . Also any other ingame options to make the anolog stick less sensitive? iv tried anologo smooth steer on 0.96 (max) and got very low Max Steering locks on the setups. Cant get the damn thing anyless sensitive and its driving me nuts!

ps are those drivers only for the 360 wireless controllers?
Quote from hardcoreobscure :I installed the english version of the drivers you linked to and they worked perfectly BYN

Cheers mate

Do I just place those folders where the readme shows them in that folder stack?
#30 - BYN
On the tab for the sticks, you can set the deadzones.
Usually I set them as small as I can so that I can have more range for the stick and at the same time the stick can centre well (or reasonably well, doesn't need to centre perfectly)
There's a 100 point scale there for setting the effective range for the sticks. I set it as 3 on the left and 0 (max) on the right.

Use higher values for analog smooth steer and Wheel turn compensation. Use a lower value for the Steering lock for the car you want to drive.
As for myself, my current setting is:
analog smooth steer = 5
Wheel turn compensation = 9
Steering lock = 13 (up to 15 if it's needed)

When I first started using a 360 controller for LFS, I thought having a linear axis for steering was important. Well, that's good for wheels but later I found out it's not really good for gamepads. It's actually good to have a pretty high Wheel turn compensation for gamepads.

I'm quite happy with the 360 controller and I haven't touched my wheel for ages! With my current setting, I don't find it too sensitve.

Not sure if the drivers work for other controllers...
Can you try?
Ill try the drivers with a 360 pad with a cord and see what happens. So far got 3 joypads and been testing them but for me the sensativity is still to high on all of them, also did you type a mistake with the anolog smooth steer being on 5? On my lfs the maximum amount of anolog smooth steer only reaches 0.96 .

EDIT: Found a problem with my setup, all the setting on my 360 pad seem fine out side of LFS but in game LFS allocates the axis's differently and will only pickup my left anolog stick as a form of button, meaning when i tilt the anolog stick left it instantly moves the furthest left possible( same for all directions) But my right anolog seems to be working fine? seems weird that lfs is detecting it as a form of button/dpad??? any help?
I had this problem too with my 360 controller and havnt found a solution for this. So I've bought MOMO racing. But I'm still using the 360 controller for other games because it is a great controller.
#33 - BYN
I don't think the wireless driver will work with the wired Xbox 360 controller...

chris, on the XBCD interface, you can check if the sticks are properly assigned as analogue. If they are but the left stick is still recognised as digital in LFS, try assigning different axes to the left stick (any of the xyz or xyz rotation ones) or if the right stick is recognised in LFS as analogue, assign the right stick's axes to the left stick and then assign some other axes to the right stick.

I guess LFS won't care about which stick you use, it just cares about which axes you use! If the gamepad's working properly, I don't see why you can't get it work in LFS.

xCRuSTyx too keep trying! Don't give up!
Yeah after alot of fiddling around I sorted out the problem, not sure what I exactly did to fix it but after a good few calibrations in windows it behaved correctly (im guess somehow the calibrations got completly screwed somewhere). Even with this sorted i still found the anolog still too sensitive! so far I reverted back to my Logitech rumble pad as the anolog sticks are slight largers so more control . Still even this joypad is too sensitive for my liking. was looking forward t ohaving breaks and accelerator on the triggers but ill survive.

On a side note if your having problems with setting up the xbox 360 pad try "pinacle game profiler", pretty much works with any joypad and lets you change settings (still too sensitive) although its only a 30 day trial unless you but the full version. So far the only real setting which helped with the sensitivity issues was anologue smooth steer in the LFS options but it would be a dream come true if it went past the maximum of 0.95. sorry for blabbing on a bit!
I thought I would give pinnacle a go after using xbcd. First impressions seemed good. Xbcd doesn't have sensitivity but pinnacle seemes to. Sensitivity only appears to work in lfs when the joystick is assigned as a mouse. Using "spring back" the mouse centres when the stick centres. So all looks good except..........

LFS will only let you assign buttons or keyboard for acc and brake when using mouse steer so...... Damn it, only digital. Pinnacle lets you assign controller commands to keyboard or mouse but this doesn't get around the digital part... Back to xbcd.

I have recently made my dead zones a little bit larger and now the controller is easier to use due to going into the stiffer part of the thumb stick before it starts to steer much. I was thinking if I set it really low then it would be easier to control but that didn't suit me.

Still not ideal but seems the best for corded controller. Hopefuly xbcd will come out with a non linear response curve for the sticks but I doubt that will happen in a hurry.
Thanks for that info you gave me a few idea's I quite fancey trying with my old joypad with the pincacle software. I never thought about making the stick linked to the mouse. when the anolog stick centres does it centre the mouse ?
#37 - BYN
I usually adjust sensitivity (or linearity) in game, not through the controller driver. In LFS, it's called wheel turn compensation. Have you tried adjusting that?

Sorry about the typos earlier. My setting for the 360 wireless should be:
analogue steer smooth = 0.5
wheel turn = 90 degrees
wheel turn compensation = 0.9
steering lock = 13 degrees (up to 15 if needed)

Try higher analogue steer smooth, wheel turn compensation and a lower steering lock.

Having a larger deadzone will worsen the sensitivity issue. Having a smaller deadzone means finer controller when the stick is near the centre and that helps placing the car at the right spot before a turn.
BYN:
Yes I have both analog smooth and compensation at the extremes. My steering locks may be high but sometimes I feel you need the lock to get out of some situations.

I too thought the lower deadzone value would make it less sensitive. In a way it does but the xbox 360 controller I have has a small amount of area where the resistance (physical) is low. Making the deadzone bigger means when the stick gets out of the deadzone there is a fair amount of resistance (physical) to movement.
lil chris: Yes the mouse pointer centres when you centre the stick so the steering works well in pinnacle. Don't need to push the other way to get centre again. Just make sure you map the stick to mouse with spring back. Let me know how you go with acc and brake if there is a work around the digital limitation when steering with mouse.
#40 - BYN
Maybe I'm the only one with a golden thumb?

pbrown:
What steering lock do you use? 13 should work for most cases really. Your car setup and driving style seriously affect the way you go around a tight corner. You don't need so much steering lock.

All the analogue steer smooth, wheel turn compensation and steering lock (not sure about wheel turn tho) affect sensitivity quite a lot. You can't ignore any one of them. If I get any one of those wrong, even I'll find it sensitive.

BTW, have you guys tried this:
http://kontrolfreek.com/products.html
As I haven't got any problems with my 360 controller so I can't be bothered to...
Well I have really only raced the fxo gtr mainly around blackwood gp and can get 1.10's and consistent 1.12's without too much difficulty but I feel like I need to be extra carefull on the stick for just about every corner. I have a lock of 20 degrees, this may not help by the sound of it.

When I change the wheel turn compensation from 1.00 to 0.00 it doesn't seem to alter the steering bar at the bottom of the screen nor does adjusting the steering wheel turn from 90 to 540. Should these show on the bar in the control setup? I have tried clicking ok and coming back in but ti doesn't appear to be any different. LFS reports the controller as xbcd xbox 360 gamepad.
I have now found that the wheel lock and compensation seem to make a difference on the turn axis when adjusting the options while driving but for some reason they don't show change on the axis when in the main menu settings.

I am now experimening with a lower steering lock. Cheers
#43 - BYN
I haven't noticed the difference between the axis in game and the one in the main menu.
But I'm pretty sure if you've got the car on the track and you change the setting, the changes will be reflected straight away.

A steering lock of 20 may be a little bit too much for a gamepad I'm afraid... I would find it too sensitive at 20 too. I remember some people even suggested locks like below 13.

I don't drive 4WD's really but they seem to be a tad too understeery to me... Maybe that's why you feel you need more steering lock? Have you tried FWD and RWD yet?
I mainly drive the XFG around blackwood and achieve quite reasonably fast laps times, but I feel I could go faster and more efficient if my wheels were turning smoothing instead of quite dramatic wild turns. so far in XFG my setting were
anolog smooth steer = 0.95 (max)
wheel turn compensation = 1.00 (max)
Max Steering lock = 19 (standard is 30)

as far as I know the steering lock on 19 is really low as anyone else who gets my set amusingly ends up driving straight off the track trying to turn for hte corner!

found a quite reasonable setting with the pinacle profiler with Mouse spring but then unfortuantly said "my trial has excided its 30 days trial period of 30 days"...Only used it for 2 days.... Still its lets me use it for 15 minutes at a time before closing so if i get the triggers working ill let you know.
#45 - BYN
WizardHat:
You don't have to copy the files. Just follow the instructions in the readme.

dx11:
According to the original Japanese website, the driver doesn't support multiple controllers.

chris I don't think you need 19 degrees of steering lock to get around Blackwood. I can manage with 13 or less (even with default or race_s setups). The max steering lock for BF1 is only 16! You shouldn't depend on the steering lock to turn.

If you use pinacle profiler, can you still assign separate axes for gas and brake?
Im sure Max Steering Locks on all cars stard on max, eg they should all be on the highest. So an xfg standard set will usually have a maxsteering lock of 30, as far as I know lower the number the less sensative it is, and higher the number the higher sensitivity. lowest iv got with max steering lock in XFG is 15 and thats LOW, i know this because when I pull out of the pit to qualify I dont have enough pit lane to actually turn out at that low speed

dont know if my version of LFS is screwed up because your confusing with the values you are using on your setups? such as you having Anolog steer smooth on 5. My LFS only allows me the minimum of 0.00 and maximum of 0.95, if you did manage to get 5 im curious how you did this as it would be a great help to get more than 0.95.
#47 - BYN
My current controller setting has been put in post #42.
I just did some typos in a previous post...
Maxing analogue steer smooth and wheel turn compensation should make things much easier. I don't even have to max those two.

Not all people use the max available steering locks. Even the people with wheels lower the steering locks sometimes. And if you watch the world records, you'll see they don't really use the whole range of the steering lock. Yes, if you lower your steering lock, it'll be a bit hard to get out of the garage (just going around the pits should be ok) but how often will you have to get out of the garage? In a race, you don't even have to... Try different setups and driving styles to see if there'll be any difference? Otherwise, maybe you have to use a wheel?

Edit: chris I just looked at the WR's for XFR/BL1. I didn't know your fastest lap time was so close to the WR! Well, a wheel may get you to the top!
Quote from BYN :WizardHat:
You don't have to copy the files. Just follow the instructions in the readme.

Cheers.

Didn't read the part about needing the wireless receiver for it to work so looks like I'll have to invest in one.
Quote from BYN :My current controller setting has been put in post #42.
I just did some typos in a previous post...
Maxing analogue steer smooth and wheel turn compensation should make things much easier. I don't even have to max those two.

Not all people use the max available steering locks. Even the people with wheels lower the steering locks sometimes. And if you watch the world records, you'll see they don't really use the whole range of the steering lock. Yes, if you lower your steering lock, it'll be a bit hard to get out of the garage (just going around the pits should be ok) but how often will you have to get out of the garage? In a race, you don't even have to... Try different setups and driving styles to see if there'll be any difference? Otherwise, maybe you have to use a wheel?

Edit: chris I just looked at the WR's for XFR/BL1. I didn't know your fastest lap time was so close to the WR! Well, a wheel may get you to the top!

yea im fairly close but seem to have hit a brick wall with lap times, no improvement over weeks. When watching the wr sets their steering seems alot smoother than mine which prevoked me on this manhunt for a less sensitive steering for the joypad at the moment 3 different joypads, wit h3 different programs but no answer yet . So testing more wit hcar setups and lower steeing locks again .
#50 - BYN
If precision is what you need... have you tried using a wheel? Although I don't drive with a wheel often now but I definitely have more precise control with a wheel. You may be able to achieve better lap times with a wheel?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG