The online racing simulator
#1 - N1Te
360 controller and can't hold throttle and brake at same time
I am using my 360 controller for LFS, I know that somewhere out there there should be something to fix this, but LFS thinks that my 2 triggers are 1 big axis, so i can only accelerate or brake, and not both. So I can't do burnouts, complicated dynamic drifting, or just basic car functions in general.

If you know any way to fix this I thank you.
I here at college have a wireless 360 controller that I was just messing around with on LFS (have before but.. wanted to give it another go in Y), but.. I can't imagine it's possible because windows treats the R trigger as Z + and the L trigger as Z -

Unless there is a program to split it
Don't think it's possible.
#3 - N1Te
Well I did hear something about Xinput at one point, but that won't install on vista yet.

I tried getting the DX SDK but that did nothing either. But if you or anyone knows a way around this that would be awesome, thanks.
Do you know if vibration is supported by any game for the 360 controller (on PC of course)?
#5 - DeKo
If you use XBCD drivers for the controller (google it) you can assign a different axis to both the rear triggers.

and yeah xcnuse, both fifa and madden give me vibration with my x360 controller on PC.
#6 - N1Te
Quote from DeKo :If you use XBCD drivers for the controller (google it) you can assign a different axis to both the rear triggers.

and yeah xcnuse, both fifa and madden give me vibration with my x360 controller on PC.

I tried to get that XBCD stuff, and i didn't understand it, and when i installed it, it didn't seem to work.
#7 - N1Te
Quote from kaulgt. :Did you install it with the other drivers installed?

I think i probably did, but it said that i had to uninstall the other ones first in a box with an ok on it, and i thought when i pressed ok that it uninstalled the other ones.

How about you, what did you do.
Well i had the same isue for my wheel... GO into control panel and game contolers make sure it is on seperate axis i lfs! thats how i got it to work!
#9 - N1Te
Quote from greg_slideways :Well i had the same isue for my wheel... GO into control panel and game contolers make sure it is on seperate axis i lfs! thats how i got it to work!

How would i go about doing that?

I tried putting separate axis' in LFS but then it sticks the throttle on half permanently until i say for it not to be separate. The only ways I know of doing this are getting Xinput for XP, or XBCD which i don't understand how to install or use.
Quote from greg_slideways :Well i had the same isue for my wheel... GO into control panel and game contolers make sure it is on seperate axis i lfs! thats how i got it to work!

There is no option like that for a controller, like I said, windows recognizes both as a single axis
#11 - CSU1
...on a footnote: gamepads suck with LFS pick up a cheap wheel, to be honest a wheel for ~€30 will give you a MUCH better experience with this sim than a crappy gamepad.
O well thats the only thing i could thinbk of so im no help! Sorry Hope you get it working!
I use a wireless 360 controller for games under XP.

Some games auto accept the input from the controller just as if you were running a xbox 360. e.g. Bioshock, COD4, Lost Planet (with rumble support)

As for the seperate axis, I have tried to get this to work, but to no avail. The XBCD drivers do not work (for now at least) with the wireless 360 controllers, (although a new version has been promised).

I have not used Xinput but sounds like it could work might give it a try. Ill let you know how I get on.

*Edit* I just tried to install Xinput, but it does not install and gives the incredibly useful error message... "Installation did not complete"
Here's the link
Use xbcd and you can assign each trigger to a seperate axis. Rumble support works although lfs uses the force feedback inputs. Works perfectly on my computer with xp and xbox 360 controller. Only problem is the sticks are are still a bit sensitive with steering comp on 0.95. You get used to it though. I agree a wheel would be better due to more precise movement.

There is a good section somewhere in this forum, just search for it, that will help for xbox 360 controllers but here is the link for what works for me.

http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/guide.html
Your right mate my mistake the XBCD drivers do work with the 360 controllers, but only for the wired ones. I have the wireless controller and it is still unsupported

ill edit my post
AAAAAAH! i started using the XBCD package from this guy and it worked well, i can now control the throttle and brake separately, but now i am having problems with the right analog stick, it works in tests and the control configuration with live for speed but now i can't seem to use the clutch!!! now i am restricted to auto tranny

and the game seems to read everything as appropriate for a rumble, from clutching to turning to even shifting and accelerating. My hand got kinda numb so i eventually turned rumble off altogether

this is my setup:
left shoulder button- shift down
right shoulder button- shift up
right trigger- throttle
left trigger- brake
X- ebrake
Y- horn
b- flash
b- look back
d-pad up- zoom in
d-pad down- zoom out
d-pad left- look left
d-pad right- look right
start- ignition
select- reset car
Left analog stick- steering
right analog stick- clutch
#17 - BYN
If you use the wired version of Xbox 360 controller, use XBCD. Someone's posted the link I think. If you don't know how to use it, just read the instructions on that website.

If you use the wireless version, use the "Japanese Driver"!! There's an English version of the same driver but I have to find the link to the website so if anyone wants to know, just let me know and I'll look for the address. BTW, this driver for the wireless version works equally well (if not better) compared to XBCD. Vibration is supported as well

There are times when I can't be bothered to use the wheel. With the Xbox controller, I can have throttle and brake separate, switch off all aids, operate the clutch for manual trannies, do throttle blips and cuts, etc. Of course, it can't compare to a good wheel but still it's fun!
I used the downloads from this site:
http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/
and there are no other ones, all the other ones are xbox not 360
i don't know of anyother...
-
(BYN) DELETED by BYN
#19 - BYN
Quote from atlantian :AAAAAAH! i started using the XBCD package from this guy and it worked well, i can now control the throttle and brake separately, but now i am having problems with the right analog stick, it works in tests and the control configuration with live for speed but now i can't seem to use the clutch!!! now i am restricted to auto tranny

and the game seems to read everything as appropriate for a rumble, from clutching to turning to even shifting and accelerating. My hand got kinda numb so i eventually turned rumble off altogether

this is my setup:
left shoulder button- shift down
right shoulder button- shift up
right trigger- throttle
left trigger- brake
X- ebrake
Y- horn
b- flash
b- look back
d-pad up- zoom in
d-pad down- zoom out
d-pad left- look left
d-pad right- look right
start- ignition
select- reset car
Left analog stick- steering
right analog stick- clutch

Hey I've just tried your setting with a wireless 360.
The clutch worked! I don't really understand what's the problem. Can you explain more? I'll see if I can help.

Also, with your setting, you'll have to use your middle fingers to controller the triggers... I tried that just now. Together with the clutch, it was way too difficult to do throttle blips and cuts... Well, maybe I'm just not used to it...

With a gamepad, you better use a button for the clutch and use your index fingers to control the triggers.
Try A: clutch, X: downshift, B: upshift
It shouldn't be hard to press AX or AB at the same time.
I can switch off all aids to drive manual cars, do throttle blips and cuts with ease. Well, with some practice of course...
BYN I would be very grateful if you could post a link to the Japanese wireless 360 drivers (or the English equivalent)

Thanks
#21 - BYN
Xbox 360 wireless controller driver
No problem mate! Here you go...

English version:
http://x360wc.tripod.com/index.html

Original Japanese version:
http://www.katch.ne.jp/~morii/x360wc/index.html

Please note that the English version was based on the original Japanese version published on 2007/08/05 but on the Japanese site, I saw the updated date for those drivers was 2007/10/13!!! I'm not sure if there are any differences though.

I'm using the most up-to-date Japanese version and haven't tried the English one but I guess the English version should be ok.

Unlike XBCD, you don't need to install the original Microsucks driver so if you've got that installed maybe you should unstall that before installing this.

I'm using the driver myself and it works like a dream so if you've got any questions, feel free to ask!

I hope LFS can support controller profiles in the future so that I can save two profiles, one for the wheel and one for the gamepad......
#22 - DeKo
Quote from XCNuse :There is no option like that for a controller, like I said, windows recognizes both as a single axis

Which is why you use XBCD instead of the shite default drivers.
oh, yes, have you guys figured a way to split other axis too?
i am kinda tired of pulling down the right analog stick to engage the clutch... it's kinda distracting when driving...

i push the analog stick up to disengage the clutch and pull it down to drive the car.

and i don't believe in the button configured clutch, it's a pedal, not an on/off switch. i only setup a button e-brake because i rarely use it. as they say,
"ebrake initiations are for beginners and wussies who don't like step out of their comfort zone"
#24 - BYN
You don't have to pull the stick down to engage the clutch.

On the Control tab, go to where you assign the axes, click on clutch, in the little section on the screen (to the right) showing all the axes, with your right stick at the centre, click on "C", now move the stick all the way up, click on "C" again, then select that axis for clutch.

When the stick is at the centre, clutch is engaged, when you move it upwards, clutch is disengaged. End of story.

good luck mate
I installed the english version of the drivers you linked to and they worked perfectly BYN

Cheers mate

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG