The online racing simulator
OMG What's Happened?
(144 posts, started )
OMG What's Happened?
Before people shout off about moaning and whining I am here to express my personal opinion about the new patch and how LFS has developed during the last 5-6 yrs.

I know the devs are looking for "uba realistic" but come on, where has the fun gone from LFS.

I started in 2002 with LFS, and slowly, ok, it has progressed, but its progression has made it fun. You can still pick up race's and also enter leagues if you wish, but now? what has happened to the "old school of LFS"

Has it got to real to actually enjoy?
Is gaming now taken to seriously?
What on earth happened to the "fun" element of LFS

This new clutch thing? what is that all about. I have never seen a car, any car change gear so slow, ( whether manual clutch, auto clutch, manual blip. ) Jesus I can change gear faster in my Ford Focus 1.8 petrol, its wrong.

I have been out of the LFS loop for a couple of months now, and thought, lets try again, and tbh i am seriously dissapointed.

I am not moaning or whining, as the devs now have a different insight as to what they want to acheive, but something is now seriously amiss as to what it used to be.

All I am saying is, LFS is no longer a pickup, like it, and buy it game, it's gotten over serious.

I hope I don't seem to be flaming, as I am not, its my personal opinion, and i know it doesn't stand for much but everybody has a voice.

LFS used to be fun, enjoyable, exciting, left you feeling wanting more, now....I feel none of the above which is a damn shame, as LFS was my life

Very Sad S2 potential S3 paid for owner

Fordman
Wow, well that is supprising Fordie! I don't agree in the slightest, yes its different, but it needs to be given the chance to work. All in all, its been.. less than a week since x30 was released to us... Id give it at least until Y comes out with everything that was buggy in x30 is "fixed".

You will feel what you once did, like all the others who have been dissapointed. LFS IS still fun, more so now than ever. We have to learn to find it, and we will, with time.
Eeeeh? I'm having the most fun than ever before, I'm enjoying the challenge. Gear changes don't feel slow either, but of course, those are only my opinions.
fun? LFS is still fun. realistic racing is what makes LFS fun.
Reality is FUN hence why people spend freek loads of time simulating it.

I think LFS with this new patch is finally representing what the devs are about. It's there game, and their sim, and thats why it's so good.

Its like music, once a band starts to try and please EVERYONE and don't do what they really want it all turns rotten, flat, and lifeless.

If the devs started developing LFS to please everyone other than themselves I would imagine they would soon lose interest and then no more LFS.

keep up the good work devs and keep true to yourselves
The fun element depends on who your racing with.

Race with guys you know who dont take suicidal risks, guys that allow for cars beside them and thus the racing is great.
#7 - axus
LFS is still exciting and works just fine for pickup racing. You just need to get used to the changes and adjust your driving style. Shouldn't take more than a few days.

What do you mean, that gear change is slow? You mean that you have to change gear slowly so your clutch doesn't overheat? What you have to remember is that gear change speed is mostly limited by how quickly you can do the drill in an H-shifter car (all the others change gear quickly so I assume you don't mean those). People driving H-shift cars sequentially, with auto-clutch in LFS are using the wrong controller for it and they were getting an unrealistic advantage. To stop that, there is now clutch heat - this way, people can enjoy their G25s fully without falling behind on pace.

I don't see how having to lift your foot off the throttle for the time you change gear makes a game any less fun.
I´m really happy about the progress on LFS. I just loves this simulator and has done that since march 2003.

The "fun" element is still there for me. The new clutch thing is so much more fun. Now i must use the clutch pedal or i must lift of the gas to shift gears - thats realistic..

So thumbs up to LFS...
So what this guys is saying that's its too realistic it's not fun...

so if ron dennis, or jean todt come calling you will them

"nah sorry F1 cars are too realistic and not fun"

??

lolol
I partly agree with Fordman but I guess it's inevitable. The more realistic the game gets -> some fun wears out.
But there still is some of that same fun left however.

Different people are playing LFS and not all of them want their game to be 100% like the real thing even if they are racing in the real ife or like sims.

I hope it doesn't get too close to the real thing because this is a game after all.
Fordman, for simulation fans fun IS realism... I don't find it fun when something is made easy for me, for example you play Pro Evo soccer with a friend and he's not trying his best just so you can win.. I wouldn't find that win satisfying at all, if you know what i mean..
#12 - aoun
Quote from Fordman :Before people shout off about moaning and whining I am here to express my personal opinion about the new patch and how LFS has developed during the last 5-6 yrs.

I know the devs are looking for "uba realistic" but come on, where has the fun gone from LFS.

I started in 2002 with LFS, and slowly, ok, it has progressed, but its progression has made it fun. You can still pick up race's and also enter leagues if you wish, but now? what has happened to the "old school of LFS"

Has it got to real to actually enjoy?
Is gaming now taken to seriously?
What on earth happened to the "fun" element of LFS

This new clutch thing? what is that all about. I have never seen a car, any car change gear so slow, ( whether manual clutch, auto clutch, manual blip. ) Jesus I can change gear faster in my Ford Focus 1.8 petrol, its wrong.

I have been out of the LFS loop for a couple of months now, and thought, lets try again, and tbh i am seriously dissapointed.

I am not moaning or whining, as the devs now have a different insight as to what they want to acheive, but something is now seriously amiss as to what it used to be.

All I am saying is, LFS is no longer a pickup, like it, and buy it game, it's gotten over serious.

I hope I don't seem to be flaming, as I am not, its my personal opinion, and i know it doesn't stand for much but everybody has a voice.

LFS used to be fun, enjoyable, exciting, left you feeling wanting more, now....I feel none of the above which is a damn shame, as LFS was my life

Very Sad S2 potential S3 paid for owner

Fordman

I thought this was a simulator, not a game. Could someone correct me?
I couldn't disagree more, Fordie. My gear changes have gotten faster, the racing is better than ever, too. If you're changing gear slowly, then you're doing something wrong. How does clutch heat affect how quickly you change gear?
So, what is it in particular that you don't find fun any more, Fordman.

Sounds to me that it's prolly more than just the clutch thing, no?
The clutch/gear change thing seems to be really hurting certian people. I don't have a clutch pedal so I use auto clutch, always have, and with this update I haven't noticed any difference at all.

But it seems to be the button clutchers that are really, really having a bad time with it Must be the on/offness (sorry) of a button that just does't suit the more real nature of the updated clutch/gears anymore.

p.s. I'm loving the update as well.
#16 - axus
Quote from MAGGOT :How does clutch heat affect how quickly you change gear?

You want the revs to have matched by the time you release the clutch to keep clutch slip to a minimum.
Welcome back to the forums Fordman. Change is sometimes difficult to accept. LFS is fun - online racing might not be unless your with group of people you trust and get on with.

Im sure with a few hours of concentrated effort, you will enjoy it again.

You are entitled to an opinion, and I hope you come around. I personally dont enjoy the over competitaveness of some of LFS as it stands - the dsire to win win win at all costs, yet I enjoy the sim. The closer it gets to actually driving a real car - the better it will be.

Shaun i agree on some points but in general disagree, but only after doing some serious testing.

At first i found that there was too much going on whilst driving, outbreaking myself and smacking walls as was concentrating on the new clutch to much.

Now after using it for a while it has grown on me and i enjoy being more involved and to be honest it is more realistic and i feel faster(may just be because i'm hitting buttons and jabbing pedals like crazy :shrug, which is what this sim is about. LFS is not intended to be the next step up from NFS, thats what those other "sims" are for. LFS is hardcore.

Partly i think the problem is the complete removal of all the driving aids. See if i was a beginner and i tried to drive i would not make it out the pits and if i did so i would probably loose interest as i think it would be too hard.

Now there is a way to get around this, we have had numerous posts on the forum asking for help and what not about how we have to adapt from a normal sim/game to driving X30/32, but does every LFS trial player visit here?

Maybe give it some more time Shaun, your decisions may sway in time. Chat sometime and we can quarrel over it
Dont take it the wrong way, but i have never dissed LFS, as I said LFS is my life, and it cost me my life (friends will know this)

But you have to imagine, there is people out there, that want to pick up and have fun, noobies, i.e me, and not worry about forced views, or clutch overheating, just race for 1hr per day if that, and what LFS used to have, it has lost in the search to be the best ( which is it ) online REAL simulation. It used to be the best of both worlds, real, but easy to pick up.

Now taking into consideration, I am a hardened LFS fan, its got way would (as I see it).

If I wanted realism to that effect, I would jump in my own car, and do a track day, or pay for racing license and go for it. Computers, games, simulations are ment to be fun, a realise, time away from the norm.

LFS is the best on the market for (realism) it truley is, but for fun, sorry, with the pressure of uba realism, lacks the fun.

As I said, I am not slating the progression line that the devs have taken, I am only voicing my opinion from a LFS driver from the way early days, and how times have changed, and for me, for the worse.

Sorry if we beg to differ, but thats personal opinions i guess
#20 - aoun
ya got a point there mate
I can't help but think that there are many people who like(d) LFS for the wrong reasons.

LFS was and continues to be very arcadish in certain aspects, either because they're inherently so due to LFS being a computer program, or because they're simply not finished or not even yet attempted to be simulated. Many of these shortcomings will be worked on in the future, and I believe many more people will be turned away from LFS because it becomes too realistic for them. However, other people will come and replace them because of the improved realism, so it's not like LFS digs its own grave with the improvements it gets. Sounds harsh, but that's life.

Actually, this situation isn't really anything new. Suspension damage? Boohoo, have to watch out now. Tyre heat & wear? Boy did the drift community cry, but they adapted and the capable ones stayed, the wannabes left. The most remarkable one I remember: removal/nerfing of the keyboard stabilized driving aid. I think tons of kb players who were playing LFS for the IMO wrong reasons left in the following weeks.

Though people are really over-dramatizing the latest changes. I have yet to overheat the clutch when it wasn't on purpose, so I can't really see the problem with it. However, I don't know about autoclutch, maybe it slips the clutch too much? I've also heard that rallyX is less than optimal with the current clutch simulation, but the drama that is created here is far from being anywhere in relation to what actually changed.
The shifting just takes some practice. You might feel differently in a week.
IIRC Fordman drives with a weird version of "wheels" view, and has done for a long time (partly because your old PC struggles to render with interiors on wasn't it?), so the forced-cockpit view is probably more of a deal breaker here for Fordie than the new clutch simulation I would've thought.
#24 - axus
But Fordman, once used to it, I don't even give the clutch a moment's thought. I don't see why people fuss over it. You sometimes get it a bit wrong and feel the clutch slip for a moment while it works to match the revs of the engine - but this happening a few times a lap even won't hurt you.

Beginners might struggle for a few hours with it but anyone seriously interested in anything remotely simulation-like (read: anyone that should be playing LFS) won't be turned away.

Forced cockpit views? I don't think I've seen that on a public server so what's the problem? It's just for not-pickup-racing.
Quote from thisnameistaken :IIRC Fordman drives with a weird version of "wheels" view, and has done for a long time (partly because your old PC struggles to render with interiors on wasn't it?), so the forced-cockpit view is probably more of a deal breaker here for Fordie than the new clutch simulation I would've thought.

Well in that case, I yet have to find a public server that has forced cockpit view on

OMG What's Happened?
(144 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG