The online racing simulator
"Drift Resistance" What is with this?
(130 posts, closed, started )
Ok as you can see (maybe from my postcount) i dont read or post on the forums much...but out of pure interest im interesting in what a few handfuls of people find wrong with drifting? Ok yes its not exacly racing...but it can be measured in ways making it a motosport competition...is this not the equivelent of people saying drag racing isnt a motorsport or racing? To me this seems very weird...and im interested in why people think all these things?
#2 - Bean0
The can has been opened, worms are escaping...

Drag racing is decided by who is fastest...simple as that...same as other sorts of racing.
With drifting, it's all subjective. Marks are given for various aspects by judges, much like figure-skating.
It's a motorsport in that it is a sport that uses motors, but not what some people think in the traditional sense.
#3 - col
hmm how to reply?... TV cookery style methinks !

here's one I made earlier

Check out the rest of that thread as well - its horrific, but might save you repeating what many others have already said

cheers

Col
Well after reading the final two pages of that...(which im guessing wasnt the worse or if it since all the retard chavs and children gave up trying to read the "long paragraphs") I see both sides have valid points and it just about 5-20% of each side which screw it up and make it seem worse, and im guessing this is becuase they are remembered for the retarded sentances like "Driftorz pwnz im like drifttin kingg am fassttt meee" etc, So thanks for solving this question for me .
Anyone who sees Drifting and Racing as two seperate communities/leagues/mindsets must really be retarded.

Racing is currently my primary style, since I used to drift tons and It's much too easy and slow. All drifting is, is just a way of practicing control in worst-case scenarios, and is a way to take a turn differently. It's a strategy.

And this topic was beaten so much that it's just a can of horse pulp. We can tell you don't come on much.
Then im retarded, anyone with me? Also really tired of this same subject. Fair enough its a form of motorsport, however I was always brought up on the belief that to go fast you need grip. Thus to me, the more I drift and slide, the more time I lose, and the more I ware out my tires.

It would be no supprise to me if people think im wrong, they can think what they like, same with drifting. Each to their own works for me.
I dont think u rly can compare drifting with racing.Drifting is an art of racing i love drifting,i was only drifting 2 years in lfs,and every time i was online it was fun,and really it made me better racer,i can control my car real easy.So there is no panic when my car slips etc.
U wanna know the truth why they hate drifting? coz they cant do what drifters do(most of them) and they are pissed
And an other thing:Sometimes in racing u have to use a little bit of drifting,see the lx series..
Its like comparing 100M sprints with Gymnastics. One is for style and execution, one is for raw flat out pace. You don't see girls in uni-tards slapping sweaty blokes for running down a track really fast because they're "noobs". Or at least the BBC don't show it!
#9 - Gunn
Quote from e2mustang :
U wanna know the truth why they hate drifting? coz they cant do what drifters do(most of them) and they are pissed

No, they hate drifters because so many young people with immature behaviour happen to be attracted to drifting. Therefore you see a lot of drifters in the community who are a total PITA, many of whom don't understand what a race simulator is and who often will make suggestions that are irrelevant to the development of a race sim, and they often voice their opinions in annoying ways.
This type of behaviour is not limited to any group of players but manifests itself most often with players who openly support drifting. Therefore an animosity towards that group builds up over time and people form stereotypical opinions about the group as a whole.

Many drifters seem to go out of their way to try and make an issue of the "us VS them" debate, which incidentally, only usually rears it's ugly head when drifters make threads like this one. Many drifters act all victimised when somebody suggests that a race sim should concentrate on developing features pertaining to racing, instead of drifting. Some people seem to take it personally that this is a race simulator and not a drift simulator. It is what it is. Don't take it personally.

It's only natural that some kind of division occurs.

The division here isn't really about the drifting, it's about people's attitudes and behaviour towards a group of people who coincidentally like drifting.
I agree with you in any way,i dont take it personally
But people must understand that there are many people around the world who like the drifting sport,and there is only 1 game they can enjoy because the physics,and thats LFS.
And of course you cant say to all drifters they are idiots,'coz you saw a couple arund here,with bad behaviour,they are mostly 13 years old
Quote from e2mustang :

I assure you its not because they are angry. Drifting is an artform? So is Racing, so is Painting, so is Singing, so is Performance and the list goes on.

There will be races who do not like drift, to some, drifting makes no sense. There will be drifters who do not like traditional racing.

All should be able to get along side by side without issue.

One thing I have noticed from reading these "races hating drift" threads, and something which is a common basis for this argument or discussion is this..

Most of these threads are started by drifters asking what racer's problems are with drift.. and people wonder why people get defensive, ive never seen this discussion from the other side, ive never seen a racer question the motives of a drifter.

I wonder is there a Online Drift Simulator out there somewhere, and if so, does it have a forum plagued by threads asking the opposite of the OP's question?
In the few drifting contests I've seen on TV, it's the fastest car through the track that wins. From what I can tell, the judges only ensure that the competing cars are drifting. As times goes on, the power in the drift cars is increasing, the top class cars are 500+hp now.

update - There is judging about the lines the cars use (suppose to get close to the outside of the course), and GPS sensors monitor speed and drift angle.

Similar to drag racing, each drift run is fairly short, especially compared to what is done in games.

Nascar has a following in the USA, in spite of the fact that all but 3 of the tracks in the series are ovals, and the cars are basically spec cars with the names Chevy, Ford, Dodge, and Toyota logo'ed onto the cars.

The USA has a relatively high number of participants at the club racing level and just fun runs on track days, but there is relatively little interest in viewing Formula 1, Indy Racing League, or Champ cars among the general population.
Quote from JeffR :In the few drifting contests I've seen on TV, it's the fastest car through the track that wins. From what I can tell, the judges only ensure that the competing cars are drifting. As times goes on, the power in the drift cars is increasing, the top class cars are 500+hp now.

I think they "score" on something like speed*angle, so being fast or having large angle alone won't win, but the combination. Large HP definitely allows for more speed at a certain angle.

IIRC they're beginning to install some angle and speed detectors on the cars so they can judge better. The "show" factor is still up to the judges and spectators, which is just like ice skating, for example.
Quote from yoyoML :I think they "score" on something like speed*angle, so being fast or having large angle alone won't win, but the combination. Large HP definitely allows for more speed at a certain angle.

IIRC they're beginning to install some angle and speed detectors on the cars so they can judge better. The "show" factor is still up to the judges and spectators, which is just like ice skating, for example.

To my knowledge its based on your entry/exit speed (sometimes your smoke) your angle and how well you keep to your line. but this is just what i think i know

Edit:
Quote from Gunn :No, they hate drifters because so many young people with immature behaviour happen to be attracted to drifting. Therefore you see a lot of drifters in the community who are a total PITA, many of whom don't understand what a race simulator is and who often will make suggestions that are irrelevant to the development of a race sim, and they often voice their opinions in annoying ways.
This type of behaviour is not limited to any group of players but manifests itself most often with players who openly support drifting. Therefore an animosity towards that group builds up over time and people form stereotypical opinions about the group as a whole.

Many drifters seem to go out of their way to try and make an issue of the "us VS them" debate, which incidentally, only usually rears it's ugly head when drifters make threads like this one. Many drifters act all victimised when somebody suggests that a race sim should concentrate on developing features pertaining to racing, instead of drifting. Some people seem to take it personally that this is a race simulator and not a drift simulator. It is what it is. Don't take it personally.

The division here isn't really about the drifting, it's about people's attitudes and behaviour towards a group of people who coincidentally like drifting.

Ok i understand where this is coming from, but the plain mature people who like drifting seem to get stuck in the middle of it (Sorry if im wrong) Plus jumping a few questions there, i didnt even say i was a drifter in that top post, but tbh i am, but meh, i was just interested and it seems to be turninginto a rant fest again :|
I usually drift when I loose control. Other then that I've thrown the car sideways a couple of times, it's pretty fun, but I prefer racing.

Drifting is speed * angle + smoothnes and confidence of the moves. And having an artsy skin helps hehe.

Drifting got such a bad rep because like said before, mostly immature young people flock to it without knowing how to do it. Or most of the time even worse, they think they are good while they just randomly get the car sideways ending up crashing but hey, it was all good until the crash right? Idiots. If you're not _really_ got at it, it doesn't look all that impressive.

And another thing, going sideways into ONLY ONE corner is not drifting. The whole point is carrying on the drift thru multiple corners.
I'm a racer but I do some drifting aswell, usually when practising new car or track to find out how far I can push the limits on each corner under racing situations.

I don't think it counts as a drifting due to low angle, but taking corners in small slide helps me make a car "wide" if I'm fighting a losing battle and need to hold my position for one more lap. Also on some cars I just have to forget tidy racing lines and pull something out of the drifting arsenal to make it turn into corner.
I dont see drifting badly taken in S2 mostly because the kids who have terrible social skills and horrible attitudes are still in demo with the exception of a select few.

Going from Demo to S2 should something like a transition from childhood to adulthood. You have to leave your immature self and dive into a new place where races are serious and new possiblities arrive. You'll take responsiblity in leagues or Drift Comps and make new and better friends.

Unless situate yourself in the right servers and not look like a drifting **** yourself, you'll see that everyone is on the same page with their outlooks on racing.
Quote from Gunn :No, they hate drifters because so many young people with immature behaviour happen to be attracted to drifting. Therefore you see a lot of drifters in the community who are a total PITA, many of whom don't understand what a race simulator is and who often will make suggestions that are irrelevant to the development of a race sim, and they often voice their opinions in annoying ways.

hmm, that sounds exactly what happened to the image of the honda civic. I think the newer civics are nice, but wouldn't buy one cause of all the ricers that made it have a bad image.
Quote from mkinnov8 : ive never seen a racer question the motives of a drifter.

Actually if anyone remembers, there was a person who posted a thread about a week ago who said that drifting and cruising should be banned and that people should not be able download sets so tht they have to make their own. I guess that was an example of a racer going out of his way to belittle drifting (i don't defend cruising) I'll find the thread..http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=33178
Cheers, id not seen that one
Quote from e2mustang :.Drifting is an art of racing

I think that's the exact self endulged drifter behaviour and misusage of terms that leads to drift hating
well, from discussing with many other racers, the reason why they hated drifting was because of the people who did it. I've asked a lot of what they thought of drifting in itself, most didn't answer and some said that its impressive what some drifters can do. I agree with racers when they say that most drifters are a bunch of saddos or the kind of people who are vain in that looking cool matters more than appreciating the actual skill required.

Personally, I like both racing and drifting but I like them in their pure form, as in the actual sport in itself, not necessarily by the people who do either. I've come across many racers who were complete tw*ts and I've also met the same kind when drifting but as a sport, I believe each of them have their own challenges to truly perfect them.

Quoted again for truth.

It's not the drifting, it's the people who do it, label themselves "drifters" as if it's some sort of social category lifestyle choice. Ugh.

Quoted again for truth.

It's not the drifting, it's the people who do it, label themselves "drifters" as if it's some sort of social category lifestyle choice, and don't bother to use any sort of grammar in their posts.
Quote from yoyoML :
Quote :In the few drifting contests I've seen on TV, it's the fastest car through the track that wins. From what I can tell, the judges only ensure that the competing cars are drifting. As times goes on, the power in the drift cars is increasing, the top class cars are 500+hp now.

I think they "score" on something like speed*angle.

I've looked at more videos and it's simply speed through a course. There are normally two runs, driver "A" starts in the lead on the first run, driver "B" starts in the lead on the second run. The driver that catches up when behind or pulls away when in the lead wins. If it's the final pair, and it's close, sometimes they will do a second set of runs (it seems that for the fans, the final race will always be "close" requiring a second set of runs). If a driver passes another during a run, it's almost a guaranteed win.

This is how the top drifting classes, D1GP (Japan based) and Formula D (USA based) are run.

update - The speed of the car only matters if the driving is close. There are judges that look for the cars to follow the "line" (usually near the outside of turns), and there are GPS sensors used (in Formula D) to determine speed and drift angle.
This thread is closed

(130 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG