The online racing simulator

Poll : when do you think the next major patch will be?

3 months or more away...
next 2 months
next month
when do you think the next big patch will be released?
and what do you think will be the major changes?

graphics
physics
mutiplayer
tracks
cars
other/misc?
For next major patch... I'd think in the next 2 months.... anything beyond that is just TOO LONG of a wait!!

And I think it won't fix everything in one go, but probably most of the common issues, physics fixes specifically. At least I hope so....

And who knows when S2 final will be done, hopefully months after improvements. If they can have it done before Spring ends, then that'd be pleasing.
My guess is (and it is only a guess ) that within the next 2 months we will see some compatible patches (i.e. no physics changes) and then in the 3 months or longer time frame we will see a major physics update I base this on what little I have read of the complexities of tyre physics and that is a very complex subject

Ps we might see an earlier physics update if it is dealing with the aero only but thats my guess, lets see who gets the closest
I'm happy if S2 Final comes before Christmas... 2006.
I think it will be released not earlier than netKar PRO will be released..
I think next incompatible patch will have some physics update (speeding issue with higher rides in front than rear i.e.), and perhaps some multiplayer fixes.
In my crystal ball I foresee the coming of a physics update and cockpits for the race cars.
Alas, I have to take the ball to the shop because it won't give a time estimate...
Quote from alexoxol :I think it will be released not earlier than netKar PRO will be released..

or Racing Legends
God, sometime soon I hope. I dont think anybody imagined that some language support was going to take such a long time.

The only problem with doing everything yourself is that that includes all the tedious scutwork like painstainingly debugging multi character support for weeks on end.
I think during next 2 months.
I guess there will be many (physic) bugs fixed, and maybe some new features too. I don't think we'll get new cars/tracks sooner than S2 Final, and even then I only think we'll get some new configurations.
xmas 05
Must say that in all honesty I'm disappointed that we have not had a major update yet.
Mainly because I could not believe it if someone told me that (if the alpha had not been released early) we would not have a full and improved "final" S2 by now.
My personal feeling is that we should have any patch, compatible or not, whenever they are ready whilst we are in Alpha stage. I think it's quite clear than alpha means non-finished, and implies the improvments will be forthcoming.

However, from the devs point of view, they are trying to make LFS a real product, and as such don't want to continually release patches which beginners to LFS might find disorientatiing (i.e. suddenly finding that there is no one online, or no servers exist, and not knowing why). So, I can see why they want to save up fixes and improvements to one big update.

It's a difficult situation. The big LFS fans want it to progress, the beginners want it to progress, but might not be active enough to realise an update has been released or how to install it, and the devs don't want to distrupt the game. At the end of the day it's the devs project, so their wishes I guess come first.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Update the car it self a lot. The damage model is still alpha. They have to work still a lot on it.
Then the lights and moving hands that go off the steering wheel. (gearbox, horn, handbrake)
Then The weather with working wipers and day/night mode
New cars or tracks aren't necessary. Just add some details to the existing cars.
Anybody said

"When it's ready"

yet?
To be honest it's little annoying that I have bought a game and there is no info about next patches or when the S2 alpha goes to S2 "full".
Quote from W1LLSD4D :Anybody said

"When it's ready"

yet?

"When it's done" would be the correct answer
Right with Duke Nukem Forever.

[size]Why ok, that's a bit too pessimistic[/size]
Quote from Hyperactive :To be honest it's little annoying that I have bought a game and there is no info about next patches or when the S2 alpha goes to S2 "full".

Sometimes it is announced in a progress report on their website... but progress reports are hardly needed at the moment because S2 has been released... only it needs little improvements to be finalized. This has been said by Scawen in various places of the forum... you just have to kind of put them all together to get a patch report. And there has been a recent thread about current patching and upgrades to this game... but they are just language feature updates... nothing special compared to what people really want... but that is the most recent thread to stay updated on what is going on at the moment.
Quote from AndroidXP :Right with Duke Nukem Forever.

Only 311 days , according to gameplay at the moment

There is hope! But seriously, who knows when we'll get a patch, and what it'll contain; we've been very lucky during these recent 0.5P patches as we know whats coming in them before they arrive, or have a really good hint of what they might contain, what with the increased level of "news" from Scawen. In general I usually try and steer clear of these threads, but I've just gotta say that Tristan is completely and utterly right on this one.
Quote from Tweaker :Sometimes it is announced in a progress report on their website... but progress reports are hardly needed at the moment because S2 has been released... only it needs little improvements to be finalized. This has been said by Scawen in various places of the forum... you just have to kind of put them all together to get a patch report. And there has been a recent thread about current patching and upgrades to this game... but they are just language feature updates... nothing special compared to what people really want... but that is the most recent thread to stay updated on what is going on at the moment.

I think what Hyper was meaning was the lack of information about slightly longer term stuff than weekly language patches, because I feel the same way. Don't get me wrong, I fully support LFS, the devs, and the way it's being made. It's great that the money goes to the devs rather than it being siphoned off by a lazy & greedy publishing corporation, and even in alpha phase it's still by far the best racing game imo. I haven't played any game this much in ages (apart from one quiet weekend in, when I blitzed GTA:SA to get it finished. ). But there are times when I wonder "when" and "what"?

Obviously Scawen doesn't want to say too much because it can either start spreading rumours which then become interpreted as fact (eg. Scawen says "I'm starting work on aero and physics in December", which eventually becomes "Scawen said the aero and physics will be all done in December!"), or people could leave out of boredom and not come back for a while if he admits that it's going to be months.

But despite all that, I'm sure that just some idea from the guys themselves of precisely what's on Scawen/Eric/Victors "to do" lists and the order in which they'll be tackled would go a long way to calming the occasional doubts that myself and others may have regarding the progress of S2.
Quote from tristancliffe :It's a difficult situation. The big LFS fans want it to progress, the beginners want it to progress, but might not be active enough to realise an update has been released or how to install it, and the devs don't want to distrupt the game. At the end of the day it's the devs project, so their wishes I guess come first.

I think what's really needed is a way for the client to get a message from the master server when going online if there's a new patch out. Then inform the user in an annoying popup that the current version is out of date before displaying the atrophied server list. Or better yet, an autoupdate function(that would probably eat too much bandwidth though).
What I mean is that there hasn't been any info ...about anything really. I know that they are working hard to make LFs better all the time (or actually I don't, but i presume and hope ). The latest info in www.liveforspeed.net is about the P2 patch, which was released months ago.

What annoys me is that I have no clue what are they going to upgrade in next patch. The P12 at the moment is mostly about language and stuff and I have nothing against it. It's a good patch, thank you. But only thing I know that is going to be fixed is the high nose aero bug. And even that was just mentioned by Scawen in one other thread...So I don't want to take it too seriously But that's basically all I am expecting to be changed in S2 full.

It would reduce the whining about the known problems if there is something said somewhere if they are at least investigating it.

Are we going to get S2 beta before going full? I am not asking when it will be done, I just want some info what are the areas they want enhance next. The odd thing is that we don't know if the amount of cars and tracks are going to change. What am I playing at the moment? S1 with some physics upgrades and car and track addons? Or the core of LFS S2 with some things just needing some polishing and fine tuning?

I really hate complaining but it seems I am just doing that at the moment.
I should have asked Scawen at the meet what his objectives were between now and full S2 release. He seems less willing to divulge information when he's not cornered by fans in the pub.

Although on the plus side, we do know everything that is happening at the moment, with test patches being so regular.
To be honest, I haven't played LFS in over a month after learning of the high nose exploit. I pretty much exclusively drive the FOX and I was banging my head against the wall trying to find time on certain tracks. I enjoy applying real world racing physics to my car to make it handle better. It has happened in other sims that I have raced that once someone comes up with an uber-unrealistic setup that is extremely fast that I lose interest FAST. Cars with -15 degrees camber up front should not work (another sim).... Setups shouldn't work when you have weight/ridehight jacked so far to the back that you'd actually be slower down the straights and have so much weight on the rear that you'd push right off the track. I hope a patch is released soon to keep the fantasy car setups away. I realize it takes time and I absolutely love what has been developed so far. It's the best sim I've played yet. I just am hoping for something soon so LFS will stay ahold of my relatively short attention span.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG