The online racing simulator

Poll : when do you think the next major patch will be?

3 months or more away...
next 2 months
next month
Quote from Keith Carter :To be honest, I haven't played LFS in over a month after learning of the high nose exploit. I pretty much exclusively drive the FOX and I was banging my head against the wall trying to find time on certain tracks. I enjoy applying real world racing physics to my car to make it handle better. It has happened in other sims that I have raced that once someone comes up with an uber-unrealistic setup that is extremely fast that I lose interest FAST. Cars with -15 degrees camber up front should not work (another sim).... Setups shouldn't work when you have weight/ridehight jacked so far to the back that you'd actually be slower down the straights and have so much weight on the rear that you'd push right off the track. I hope a patch is released soon to keep the fantasy car setups away. I realize it takes time and I absolutely love what has been developed so far. It's the best sim I've played yet. I just am hoping for something soon so LFS will stay ahold of my relatively short attention span.

I get the similar thoughts with the GTRs. Some people lift throttle when they shift, like I do, but some don't and there is the adventage of it. As the current engine damage is no where to be seen they just get away with it. Starting the FXR off the line with full throttle and just releasing the clutch will blow any real race car's transmission and clutch immediatelly. But it's the only way to start the car... And using the non-realistic high nose setups is just disrespectful for others and the game. Everyone using them (maybe outside the oval) are cowards/idi**s to me.
Quote from Bob Smith :Although on the plus side, we do know everything that is happening at the moment, with test patches being so regular.

The only thing we know, is that not a lot is happening atm.

Unless you consider a language update to be something on the top of the list of "important things to finish". illepall

I think, in the next two years, we might have S2 final. Im not holding my breath though, just incase.
Quote from Hyperactive :I get the similar thoughts with the GTRs. Some people lift throttle when they shift, like I do, but some don't and there is the adventage of it. As the current engine damage is no where to be seen they just get away with it. Starting the FXR off the line with full throttle and just releasing the clutch will blow any real race car's transmission and clutch immediatelly. But it's the only way to start the car... And using the non-realistic high nose setups is just disrespectful for others and the game. Everyone using them (maybe outside the oval) are cowards/idi**s to me.

you may like to attempt to make up for the games limitations, but in a competitive league there is no way for any of it to be policed, it's better to accept the flaws and make the best setup / driving strategy you can, imho.
Until of course, this "feature" is amended to compensate for more realistic setups.

Funny thing.. The other day I got fed up with taking my FXR around As3 with a slightly nose (my regular setup) and decided to make a realistic set where the nose doesn't point towards the sky. Result? Well, reducing the front ride height increased the downforce effect of the wings, especially the front so I was about 8 kph slower on the straights and not significantly faster in corners. Reduced the front wing (and rear, it wasn't sliding at all out of corners). Now the set is just as fast in a straight line, and in corners during the first two laps. Reducing the DF caused my tyres to melt quicker than a plain vanilla ice cream in a Finnish sauna.

What now? I'm not sure.. unless I can find a way to reduce tyre wear I have no option but to stick with my current set, being another 1 sec slower versus XRR/FZR ain't gonna happen.
By getting the nose down you didn't increase downforce, you increased drag - so for the same speed in corners, you got way slower on the straights.

Other than the suspension reactions there are no bad things about a high nose. With a higher nose you simply get the same downforce for less drag.
Actually, the high nose raises the center of gravity of the front of the car, and can make the handling go a bit wobbly. But this is more than compensated by the speed down the straights!
I think it depends on the rest of the setup really.. I've attached a reference set and a low nose set based on the reference (made it just now so maybe not perfect..). The locked diffs improve handling characteristics, and I find the reference set is way easier to drive under braking because rear tends to move about a lot less. The one thing the reference set doesn't do well is turn

With a quick run on the test track As3 (I know it best) I managed to drive solid 1:44.5x with the low nose set, while usually I drive low-to-mid 44s with the reference set. Still, the fronts heated up to over 90 in 2 laps with the low nose set, that doesn't happen quite as quickly on the ref set.
Conclusion: I suppose it can be done, with the FXR at least. It does mean a change in driving style moving the from the locked diffs of the ref set to the LSDs on the low nose set.

Oh btw the ref set (flotch) is the one from the Inferno site, but with a few mods to make it turn beyond 5 laps..

Hehe, and not to make this post entire off topic, I'll guess the next big (read: incompatible) patch will appear no sooner than next year.
Attached files
FXO GTR_as3_Flotc671.set - 132 B - 804 views
FXO GTR_As3_low_nose.set - 132 B - 571 views

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG