The online racing simulator
**Spoilers** F1 2007: Chinese Grand Prix 2007
To start things off on this topic.

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2007/10/6914.html

Exclusive interview - Honda’s Jenson Button

Finding a solution to a problem is never easy especially when you’re a Formula One team and your problem is a technical one. After a promising 2006, Honda - and Jenson Button - have hit a wall this season and last weekend’s race at the Fuji Speedway failed to improve matters.

Driver and team had wanted to put on a good show for their home fans but poor weather and a mulish car quickly put paid to any hopes. Only Saturday’s seventh-place grid slot showed just what could be possible for Button and Honda if everything went their way. With just two races left to run, 2008 is now the only focus…

Q: How would you describe your season so far? Is there anything positive or would you rather forget all about it?
Jenson Button:
It was a tough season and of course it wasn’t the season that we had expected. The car has not improved over the past few months - at least not as much as we needed it to. Obviously, we went the wrong direction aerodynamically, but that process probably started at the end of last year. So yes, it’s been a tough year - probably the toughest of my whole career. So all we can do is work as hard as we can and employ people to give fresh ideas. We have already started that process.

Q: This time last year things looked quite promising. What went wrong?
JB:
In my view, it was the wrong ideas when it came to aerodynamics. We went in the wrong direction. But this is exactly what we are going to change now as a lot of the new people have realised that and the last test has really been a quest for new ideas.

Q: What is it that keeps the car at the back of the grid?
JB:
We couldn’t change the engine too much so we really have had to focus on aerodynamics. But it is not just about having as much downforce as possible, it’s about having useable downforce, which means you have downforce all the time, not only on the straight. But I can see we are entering a very exciting process.

Q: How disappointing is it to have only made it into Q3 on three occasions - in Monaco, Italy and Japan - and to have only scored two points?
JB:
Yes, it’s tough. But honestly, entering Q3 really means nothing to me. If I am not able to qualify for pole or win a race it doesn’t matter where you finish. It’s all about learning from my mistakes - and looking forward

Q: You are at a crucial point in your career. Some fundamental changes need to be made - what do you think they are?
JB:
Every stage in one’s career is crucial. For example, Lewis (Hamilton) is very young, he hasn’t had a lot of time in Formula One but wants to win the championship this year. But if he doesn’t win, there might not be another possibility. In reality, everything is a question of possibilities. For us, yes 2007 was a pretty poor year and we only can hope that we will change the situation in 2008. That’s all we can do.

Q: Do you regret any decisions you’ve made in the past?
JB:
No, never. It’s done now, it’s behind you. It’s about not making the same mistakes again. The same goes for the team as well as for every individual. If you make the same mistakes again, you are a fool. It’s that simple. We should learn from our slips and become stronger.

Q: Does it annoy you having all these rookies in front of you, knowing you could easily challenge them if you had the right car?
JB:
No, because nobody has only great years in his career. Some people are lucky when they arrive in Formula One and others really have to fight for it - being with a good team. But I am with a good team and we just have to make the best of what we have - and we haven’t done that yet. We have a lot of intelligent people and we just have to bring it altogether.

Q: Do you think your performance will improve over the last two races?
JB:
No, I don’t think so. To make the car a little bit quicker in the last two races would take away wind tunnel capacity for the development of next year’s car - that would not make sense. We will probably be a little faster in the races to come, but that is down to us at the track.

Q: How is the development of the 2008 car progressing?
JB:
We are perfectly on track. But for me I am excited to start testing as it is not just aerodynamics that we have to improve but we have new systems, no traction control, nothing to help you on the braking. I am looking forward driving without traction control as I feel that it supports my style of driving and from what I have done so far the lap times look pretty promising.

Not long til Friday for the practice. Hopefully it will be as exciting as it was last year.
He probably knows if next years car is a dog, hes career is most likely over..

A shame really...
I dunno. I'm sure there are quite a few teams who wouldn't mind Button on their pay-role. He may never have set the world alight, but he's consistent, reliable and plays the corporate game... most of the time.
Quote from Mustafur :He probably knows if next years car is a dog, hes career is most likely over..

A shame really...

Even Ralfy managed to stay in F1 for 10 years, and he's rubbish. He even had a few decent cars in his time.

I don't see why Button, who is 100 times more talented, can't stay in F1 for longer, and have better cars (except this year at least ).
Oh, yes. Next year should be interesting with no traction control, and Button should be good with that game, well, if he is that smooth like they say.

But this weekend, mmmm...I hope it rains.
If it rains, I hope there will be another batch of unexpected tyre rules.
Yes. 30 seconds after the race has started the FIA will deem it's 'just not silly enough' and require all the cars to pit and brush paint their tyres pink. The information will be sent to the teams using the finest carrier pigeons available in Harrods.
If we have rain (by the forecast looks like it's possible), it can be a good race once again.

But if we don't...There has been so much hassle lately, that I believe we don't see a FIAsco this time. So we only have to watch last laps of Q3, first 5 corners of the race and pit stops, like usually.

I hope that Lewis takes the title, so we can turn our heads towards 2008.
Almost of topic, but i've just been reading DC's column for the ITV F1 website. It's a really interesting read as he explains what it was like to drive in the rain at Japan, and there's a little tribute to Colin McRae in there too.
Quote from Mazz4200 :Almost of topic, but i've just been reading DC's column for the ITV F1 website. It's a really interesting read as he explains what it was like to drive in the rain at Japan, and there's a little tribute to Colin McRae in there too.

Nice read, thanks! Was it Webber who said that "Closing your eyes and running through your house at full speed can give you some image of what it was like" ..or something like that.
Quote from frokki :Nice read, thanks! Was it Webber who said that "Closing your eyes and running through your house at full speed can give you some image of what it was like" ..or something like that.

Lol, never heard that one.

Bit like that quote from Piquet "Driving at Monaco is like riding a bicycle round your living room"......or was it Senna who said it, can't remember ?
Hamilton faces Japan win inquiry

The safety car was deployed twice at a rain-drenched Fuji

Formula One officials are investigating Lewis Hamilton's victory in Sunday's Japanese Grand Prix following complaints about erratic driving.
Red Bull's Mark Webber has accused the Englishman of doing a "bad job" behind the safety car after being knocked out of the race while following Hamilton.
Hamilton's win at Fuji gave him a 12-point lead and put him on the verge of winning the world championship.
If he is found guilty, he could have his points from Japan erased.
BBC 5live commentator David Croft, who is at the Chinese Grand Prix for this weekend's race, says there are also suggestions that Hamilton may be penalised 10 places on the grid in Shanghai.
F1 officials are expected to make a decision on Friday.

Part of me wonders whether he showed a little bit of naivety, while part of me wonders whether he had a few tricks up his sleeve. I'd say it was probably a bit of both

Mark Webber on Lewis Hamilton

Webber was knocked out of the race by Toro Rosso's Sebastian Vettel while they were following Hamilton, and the Australian believes Hamilton braked excessively while they were following the safety car on lap 45.
Webber almost overtook Hamilton as the McLaren driver slowed and moved to the right while following the safety car before an unsighted Vettel hit the Red Bull.
The evidence is believed to be footage filmed from the grandstands at Fuji which appeared on video website YouTube.
"Hamilton did a bad job behind the safety car," said Webber.
"He was not doing what he should have been doing, the rhythm was not there.
"It's hard to swallow, but I have to concentrate on the next race, that's all I can control."
606 DEBATE

I have to admit at the time I ... is driving was very poor

GJthesuperstud

He added in an interview with BBC 5live: "Lewis did a great job in the race and deserved to win it, but I'm not sure he did such a great job behind the safety car.
"Part of me wonders whether he showed a little bit of naivety, while part of me wonders whether he had a few tricks up his sleeve. I'd say it was probably a bit of both.
"I can understand a few tricks when the lights are off, but when the lights are on it means we're going nowhere behind the safety car.
"In dry conditions my Mum can follow Lewis behind the safety car - it's nothing special. The job of the guy who is leading behind the safety to car is to follow the safety car - and when you don't do that it causes problems."
Webber (right) was in second place when the accident happened

Honda's Jenson Button felt Hamilton did not drive well behind the safety car in the opening 19 laps of the race either.
The Briton, who was fourth at the time, said: "When I was behind him it felt really inconsistent, I don't know what he was doing really.
"He came through the last section and he kept slowing down.
"He knew the safety car wasn't coming in and he kept hitting the brakes hard in the last sector so everyone would bunch up, then he'd shoot off and brake again," added the Briton.
"It was quite strange and it normally only happened in the last sector."
German driver Vettel echoed Webber's comments in criticising Hamilton.
"It was my fault, but it is clear the rhythm was not there," he said.
"We are all sitting in the same boat. At the point [of the crash) I was distracted, looking to the right.
"I was sure Hamilton was retiring, he seemed to have no power any longer, but by the time I looked back, I was already in Mark's rear end." F1 regulations state: "The safety car shall be used at least until the leader is behind it and all remaining cars are lined up behind him. "Once behind the safety car, the race leader must keep within five car lengths of it."

Source: BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/h ... t/formula_one/7027743.stm
I thought it was quite appalling driving and if he is not punished then he's going to think he can get away with all sorts.

There is already a bit of arrogance (not swagger, or confidence) creeping in and all in all I think it would be better for Hamilton's development as a driver and as a person if he lost the title this year.
I understand Webber and Vettel pushing that line and rightly so ,interesting to hear other complaining about his tactics as well.
Quote from tristancliffe :The information will be sent to the teams using the finest carrier pigeons available in Harrods.

Nah, too advanced.

Hamilton was just as fualt in the accident as vettel was.

personally i think he should keep his points, but get a 10 place penalty.
But if hes points get taken, oh boy will this championship be intresting!
I hope it rains, the Red bulls are probably the 3rd best team when it comes to the wet races..
#19 - DeKo
noob question, anybody know what channel the qualy is on tonight? cant find it at all.
Looked for 8:00 in the morning?
Quote from DeKo :noob question, anybody know what channel the qualy is on tonight? cant find it at all.

ITV3 live at 6:30am, or ITV1 recorded at 11:30am.
#22 - DeKo
P1
glad vettel has had his penalty lifted

interesting though that webber didn't even mention hamilton slowing when interviewed straight after his retirement

also i wonder who's engines torro rosso use ?
Torro Rosso use ferrari engines i think.

But its definately ferrari or renault. That is for sure.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG