The online racing simulator
What does Vista means?
(62 posts, started )
#26 - Jakg
Thanks. That really adds to the topic.

If your buying an OS now? Get Vista, you'll get it anyway, so theres no point buying XP and then Vista later.

If you've got XP already? Use it till Vista has something you actually want!
#27 - JTbo
Quote from Jakg :Thanks. That really adds to the topic.

If your buying an OS now? Get Vista, you'll get it anyway, so theres no point buying XP and then Vista later.

If you've got XP already? Use it till Vista has something you actually want!

No, get XP and wait until something after Vista will come, maybe it actually works or maybe they can make Vista to work, but that will take at least 2-3 years, plenty of time to use one more upgrade as you need to upgrade after that time anyway...
I am going to upgrade to Vista.

But when, and only when I need to have it for something, be it DX10 games or a particular bit of hardware/software demands it. By then I'll have a PC of running it acceptably.

But until that time I'm sticking with XP.
I'm sticking with XP until Vista has Service Pack 1 released.
#30 - Woz
The only REAL difference between DX10 and DX9 is shaders. There were some memory management related reason that MS used as a reason not to port DX10 to XP. But then Nvidia could not get their stuff working so MS dropped the requirement and now there are NO reasons apart from forcing upgrades to MEII.

So DX10 was the MS attempt to force gamers to MEII but with SP1 they release DX10.1 and make all the VERY expensive DX10 cars pointless. Nice.

If people don't upgrade it will FORCE game devs to support DX9 and hence XP, the real market base.

Wait for the next version AFTER Vista. The DRM fight should have been solved by then and MS might be allowed to gut all the things that cause Vista to be slow and problematic in the first place.

My next reformat will result in an XP games partition and an Ubuntu work partition. Everyone I know that has Touched MEII has switched back to XP or moved to Linux.
Quote from Electrik Kar :I've read even Bioshock runs perfectly well on Windows 2000. Upgrading your OS for 1 or two games seems pretty pointless to me, especially if all your other games suffer by comparison under Vista. Give me a list of 10 or 20 decent games and I'll definitely think about it- but that might be 3 years away. (Crysis is hardly floating my boat right now, but we'll see)

Just for the sake of experimentation, I tried BioShock on an XP install with DX9 *AND* a Vista install using DX10 shaders (on the same computer...dual-boot)

Both running at max settings at 1600*1200, and TBH I cant see ANY difference whatsoever, either in gfx quality or fps
Quote from Bladerunner :Just for the sake of experimentation, I tried BioShock on an XP install with DX9 *AND* a Vista install using DX10 shaders (on the same computer...dual-boot)

Both running at max settings at 1600*1200, and TBH I cant see ANY difference whatsoever, either in gfx quality or fps

I've seen screenshots comparing Bioshock in DX9 and DX10. There is a very slight difference in the water splash effects. That's about it.

I'm with Tristan, though. I'll be sticking with XP until there's something extremely compelling (like a really nice DX10 game) that requires Vista.
im with the general lee..

Vista is nice for its looks. But it is still a NEW operating system.. Simply got to give it time. its been rushed out to the market as normal. but will end up after a while something useable.

Nothing wrong with XP in the mean time. once Sp1 for vista comes out. i will start looking at it as a potential upgrade.. until then, it wont really get my attention.
Just because Vista SP1 will be out doesn't mean Vista will be better than before. Remember when XP SP1 came out? It made XP slower than before...so don't get your hopes up.
I fought tooth and nail to stay with Windows 2000, and then I finally got XP, and thought, "Hmm, why didn't I upgrade a long time ago..."

I'm sure the same will happen with Vista. I see no reason to upgrade now, but I'm sure there will be.
Quote from spankmeyer :Just to point out, yes, Vista is a resource hog and moves like a pig sunk in concrete.

But so is OS X too.

Posting this on a Intel Macbook with maxed RAM, using Intel Imacs with maxed RAM at work, sometimes borrowing Macbook Pro with 4Gb of RAM and they are all slow... as... hell compared to Nlite XP that I have at home.

Start flaming if you want, but you know I'm right.

Lies, OS X doesn't run long enough for it to hog any resources before it Kernel Panics...

#37 - Jakg
SP1 will be faster (even the dodgy Alpha's on teh internets are faster) and it will have these memory patches i'm using, but imo SP1 is rushed because of the amount of people who said "i'll buy it in SP1" when they don't actually know what they want fixing - M$ are trying to get a patch out asap simply to get as many people using Vista as possible.
I agree with jakg there it was rushed out but tbh i see a difference after i upgraded the memory and reliability patch seems a lot nippier and I'm starting to like vista now cause all the apps I need are being ported to vista so don't give up hope on the new fella give it time it will be better like xp is now at its golden age blasting out like a stallion and maybe vista will too someday.........hope
#39 - JTbo
I surely wait what others experience with SP1 and I do filter any chrome fanboy comments when I read from it as I'm pretty fed up being a beta tester.

But I still believe I'm better off using one more upgrade before switching OS, is there going to be realistic driving that requires me to get DX10 or any other hardware that would require Vista in next 3 years time?

I believe that there is not and perfectly fine getting new system and using my retail XP for that instead of spending another 100-200 for OS that I need to wait to get working better, that will contain unnecessarily large graphical elements that would require me to get 30" screen or something. Also I pretty much hate how in many things usability has been made lot worse, requiring more clicks etc.

I have work laptop with vista, I can see when it works well from there, I wait that day, at the moment, it performs like 1Ghz PIII in XP
#40 - Jakg
Like i said, i like Vista - it works, and looks nice, but i do get issues with nVidia's drivers killing my second monitor on bootup (simple solution - 100% uptime ) - but it does nothing that XP didn't.

I like the clock, i like the calendar, i like some of the features, but tbh i could live without them all...

EDIT - More clicks? Just like the sidebar, UAC is gone!
#41 - JTbo
Quote from Jakg :
EDIT - More clicks? Just like the sidebar, UAC is gone!

For example, network settings, harware tab etc etc, everywhere seem to be at least one more click needed even without UAC.
#42 - Jakg
Off topic Q, how do i disable the see through taskbar and the windows minimising at an angle and slowly without loosing aero?
You cant disable them part by part basis its 2 option only enable aero all together or no aero at all period........no options to choose for; damn i wish we could pick and choose what options to keep
I picked the easier, revert back to Windows Classic style, and I don't miss Aero at all. It's strange, that I couldn't stand Classic in XP, I'd use a Luna style, but in Vista, Classic is better than Aero Basic (the luna of Aero), just because I value the ability to alt-tab in and out of games, without waiting 5 millenia for it to work.
Quote :The only REAL difference between DX10 and DX9 is shaders.

Awhile back I read that DX10 had instructions which allowed real-time 3D morphing. That would be pretty awesome to see in a game like Spore. As an example... watching your creature morph/evolve into his higher self! If Spore supported DX10 and had a neat effect like that, I'd be pretty keen to check it out...
#46 - arco
Quote from Jakg :Off topic Q, how do i disable the see through taskbar and the windows minimising at an angle and slowly without loosing aero?

I believe you can do that with a tweak program like Vista Manager.
as far as i recall... vista is gonna be the next windows 95..... over priced , over rated and limited accessibility
Ben, be quiet.

Just a little off topic, but how often does Vista update at the moment. Is it daily, weekly or monthly etc.
Quote from theirishnoob :as far as i recall... vista is gonna be the next windows 95..... over priced , over rated and limited accessibility

Yes, because windows 95 wasn't revolutionary and brought on this new saga of Windows OS's...

Idiot.
I really want to add him to my Ignore list, butu I enjoy giving him both barrels.

What does Vista means?
(62 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG