The online racing simulator
What does Vista means?
(62 posts, started )
What does Vista means?
Hi, just a question What does Windows Vista means?

maybe Viruses Intruders Spywares Trojans Adwares?
I've never heard that one before.[/sarcasm]
vista –noun
1. a view or prospect, esp. one seen through a long, narrow avenue or passage, as between rows of trees or houses.
2. such an avenue or passage, esp. when formally planned.
3. a far-reaching mental view: vistas of the future.
I liked Vista for the short time I had it, but an M$ update destroyed my sound drivers.
Vista is pointless, the graphical and prossecorial strains just booting up are pointless.. Extremely pointless.
XP FTW!
I don't really mind vista, it works fine, sometimes it's slow, but usually it's quite snappy, as long as aero is disabled.
It means: Microsoft + $$$
I gotta question. Is VISTA really necessary? I mean after much thought, I realized that I don't really do anything more on a computer than what I did with windows 95. I mean just what software is out there that needs VISTA as an operating system and is this software really any better than what runs on XP or 98? I read somewhere that there is a possibility of out computing ourselves. Where we make machines and OSs where we can't possibly use to it's full potential due to our limitations as humans. Is VISTA the beginning of that benchmark?
Vista, and all of it's added functionality and connectivity, is just another step towards a true global totalitarian state governed by M$.
Mr Gate$ and his cronies wont be happy until everybody is microchipped (like pets) and our lives are completely run at the dependency of Redmond.

Look everybody...we are all becoming 'Sims'!!!!!
Quote from BlueFlame :Vista is pointless, the graphical and prossecorial strains just booting up are pointless.. Extremely pointless.

Again your extreme ignorance makes me laugh.

I will be changing back to vista next week in anticipation of the DirectX 10 games, including the Crysis demo out on Sep 25th.

I only really use Windows for games anyway, Linux for eveything else as Windows can be a right pain to use.

Quote from Racer Y :I read somewhere that there is a possibility of out computing ourselves. Where we make machines and OSs where we can't possibly use to it's full potential due to our limitations as humans. Is VISTA the beginning of that benchmark?

Different people use different features of an OS, it's true that the majority of the population use it to 'read emails and play music' (which Dell would advise you you need a dual core for), but there is a %age of the users that use the more in depth - or lesser used - functions of an OS. For this reason I don't think we'll build something that isn't used by somebody - unless of course it's useless.
Just to point out, yes, Vista is a resource hog and moves like a pig sunk in concrete.

But so is OS X too.

Posting this on a Intel Macbook with maxed RAM, using Intel Imacs with maxed RAM at work, sometimes borrowing Macbook Pro with 4Gb of RAM and they are all slow... as... hell compared to Nlite XP that I have at home.

Start flaming if you want, but you know I'm right.
I have not tried Vista. But I`v heared that a lot of companies are going back to XP again, because they did not like Vista, + it was too demanding because of all the nifty-nifty details.
I have no doubt it`s a good thing, with the features, but for now I stick with XP, because I like it and I do not want or need a upgrade. And beside, those extra resources I need to LFS!
I'm using Vista on my laptop, and I have NOTHING problem with it at all! It is not slow, and didn't find any bug
In latvian, vista means chicken.
#16 - Jakg
Been running it since i got my Quad and tbh i'm not impressed - sure, it's nice, but it does nothing that XP didn't.
Quote from Jakg :Been running it since i got my Quad and tbh i'm not impressed - sure, it's nice, but it does nothing that XP didn't.

Well what about Dx10, sure atm it isn't used very much and stuff like that, but in the future it should be very useful. Only when you got G80 card too (/me lucky)
Hasta la Vista.
#19 - Jakg
Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :Well what about Dx10, sure atm it isn't used very much and stuff like that, but in the future it should be very useful. Only when you got G80 card too (/me lucky)

I don't have a DX10 card and i will keep using Vista, but atm theres no reason to upgrade unless you want DX10.
I've read even Bioshock runs perfectly well on Windows 2000. Upgrading your OS for 1 or two games seems pretty pointless to me, especially if all your other games suffer by comparison under Vista. Give me a list of 10 or 20 decent games and I'll definitely think about it- but that might be 3 years away. (Crysis is hardly floating my boat right now, but we'll see)
I rememeber *exactly* these comments when people moved from DOS to Windows 3.1, then to 95, then 98, etc...

Give it 5 years or so and it will start all over again.

"This new OS sucks and is totally unneccesary - I'm going to carry on using Vista forever"
Well, I started using XP so I could play Doom 3. But that was then and this is now, as I said there's no real incentive for me to upgrade at all, right now, or possibly in the near future. Never said I wouldn't, but I like to advise that if you have no real need for something, then better off to just save your money, or wait. XP is the best performing and most suitable OS for my needs right now, so I'm happy, and my games are too.

I think the real performance junkies will stick with XP a while longer yet. Not that it won't eventually go the way of DOS, rainbow suspenders and asbestos sometime down the road...
#23 - JTbo
At week I was sitting front of my Vista laptop, there was few MS Office applications open but it was idling, then I stand up and talked to students, when I looked laptop again BSOD, great...

It has also nasty bugs/features in explorer, one related to removing folder with subfolders for example.

So name should present something that is unstable and crappy, I call it visva which is in finnish something not so good
Quote from Crashgate3 :I rememeber *exactly* these comments when people moved from DOS to Windows 3.1, then to 95, then 98, etc...

Give it 5 years or so and it will start all over again.

"This new OS sucks and is totally unneccesary - I'm going to carry on using Vista forever"

Totally. I upgraded to Vista. People asked me why, and I said "Because, eventually we're all going to be using Vista". And they reply with "I will never upgrade to Vista". And I just think to myself, "yeah right".

I decided to upgrade to Vista for a couple reasons. I was doing an overhaul of my comp. I was buying DX10 cards. I had 4 GB of ram to use, and my 32-bit XP didn't support more than 3 GB. So far, to me, it actually seems to be alot less buggy than when XP first came out. Once I had it setup properly, it's actually going pretty smoothly. But it's true, it eats up alot of my ram just sitting there, idling. But I haven't had any capatability issues, except for McAfee not being supported.
i use windows xp

What does Vista means?
(62 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG