The online racing simulator
Quote from Jakg :Latest version
of nHancer works fine here on Vista x64

Well i have 32 Bit so its not that. I reinstalled it but still the same problem :S
Attached images
nhancerprob.jpg
Quote from Stone in Focus :heres a basic one at the specs jakg specified, unfortunately this is slightly too much for my system, running at about 25-30 in hotlapping mode.

Whats the best thing to do to up the fps, with out losing too much quality?

Stone In Focus. Awesome song by Aphex Twin.
Quote from AndroidXP : Might be worth putting this into the wiki...

The only thing I personally can't recommend is to turn on Supersampling Transparency AA, because it produces graphics errors in LFS for me. Though it might be my 6600GT causing this.

I have the same card fella, IIRC this is one of the borderline cards, it supports the feature but the implementation is rather poor so best left to off.

Great guide JakG, some obvious ones but some not-so obvious tips as well and its great to have it all in one post.
Thanks for this topic. Didn't think my 6/7 year old pc could handle it, but i gave it a go, and it looks great.
Quote from AK-Chester :Hm, after some more testing ... these (ingame) settings sure make :lfs: look better, but they also turn it into a slideshow with a full grid (on my pc, that is). Oh well, guess I'll be better off going back to the default settings.

Lower the user LOD. I have it at 0.5 and it only lowers the poly count of the most distant cars.
Try the replay I attached and pause it when all the cars line up in a row. I set all other settings to best detail except MIP bias is 0
(you don't have to enable clamp in the driver since it does the same). EDIT: This is not true.

Also a 8600GT at stock clocks plays fine at 1368*1024, 16*AF, 8*AA, transparency supersampling and maximum quality. I chokes just a little bit when using 8Q*AA. I wish I had supersampling AA for those curbs.
Attached files
BL1.spr - 1 MB - 223 views
Check it out guys, I upped my graphics to look like XBox 360!

intensely nubish hurts my eyes... looks cool though!
XD Yep.

How could I improve? XD
LFS looks REALLY good with proper textures and good hardware... check this screenshot i took a while ago, it's slightly edited so it looks like a winter day (added some haze with photoshop and blur to simulate focus depth), but everything else is just LFS

i got carried away and posted some more... i'll take a screenshot to practically demonstrate how antialiasing and anisotropic filtering affects the game (those are out of lfs settings)
Attached images
101_pachondo04.jpg
23_rgrunwald03.jpg
57_scastillo02.jpg
this is to demonstrate how Anisotropic and Antialiasing would affect visuals on LFS...

take a look at how the distance signals get blurred as it gets further away, how the corner becomes a clogged blurry picture... look at the texture process of the car, how the lines get blurred (this is actually a consecuence of having high res texures without proper filtering... wich means its useless to have 2048x2048 textures if you don't apply filtering), also the borders of the car in the first picture, then .. compare it to the second one
Attached images
noaanoaf.jpg
16xaa16xaf.jpg
Quote from vf1-xj220 :this is to demonstrate how Anisotropic and Antialiasing would affect visuals on LFS...

take a look at how the distance signals get blurred as it gets further away, how the corner becomes a clogged blurry picture... look at the texture process of the car, how the lines get blurred (this is actually a consecuence of having high res texures without proper filtering... wich means its useless to have 2048x2048 textures if you don't apply filtering), also the borders of the car in the first picture, then .. compare it to the second one

I have a problem, I use 1248/1xxx (something lol) resolution, and 4x AA and 16x AF, aswell I use HighRes textures. I have mip bias to the right, meaning everything gets smooth and nice, but problem is the road. While the car and such looks great the read looks strange, it doesn`t seem "smooth" to me, it looks like it should be a lot of gravel on the road Does the thing ..eh...filter, mip filter or whats the name, in options help for this?
Because it really look strange, and I can hardly belive it`s suposed to be like this.
Take a screenshot?
This is how it looks. It`s hard for me to explain, but while racing, it`s like there is a square area around my car where there is highly detailed textures, very corny tho, but only like 5 meters away from the car it..well it looks o.k but not as good as on your computer. Have 4AA and 16AF here.

Thanks, SladiVadi!

But, like I said, I'll just go with the default settings now.
Runs perfectly smooth and looks good enough for me.
Magic setting
Quote from thisnameistaken :Thanks Hyperactive! You listed the magic setting.

The Negative LOD Bias: Clamp* improves matter greatly, in return for a bit of blurring, but blurring is way preferably to crappy kerbs and fences that look like LP records.

Thanks v. much - I've been putting up with this crap for months! I haven't had an nVidia card since the old GeForce2, so I've never tossed about with the settings before.

Thanks to everybody else for your help too. If anybody wants to turn up in the Three-Legged Mare in York tonight I will fill them with pints.

* AndroidXP mentioned it earlier but I ignored him. I won't ignore you in future, dude.

Thank you very much for pointing this out! I have had the same frustrations about the moire effects, and have finally got rid of them

/Morten
I just downloaded all the top downloads from the custom textures and installed them into the LFS folder, but how do you implement them? like the nicer steering wheel etc?

edit

read the readme file....

but there is no info for the guages...
Make sure that everythng related to textures gets putet in the DDS folder in data folder. Like this LFS/Data/DDS
And thats basically it, hope it helps
If tried it twice...got the wheel to work but all the others...no smoke, lights, high res detail, nothing! all kerbs are still white etc etc

using vista if that helps
If the textures look unchanged to you then the problem is that your downloaded textures did not save over your old ones. Double check everything and make sure the newer textures are actually overwriting what's already there.
Just to let you know, the screenshots you've made of the panels in nHancer are out of date, they look different to the version I'm using (2.2.3).
I'm running the same version as you (2.2.3), the 8800-series just has different AA modes
Hi, thanks for guide - my main problem is draw distance, I have user LOD set to 1 and dynamic LOD set to 0 but I still get track markings poping up only a short distance from my car.
Is there any way to fix this?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG