The online racing simulator
The LFS manual wiki
(32 posts, started )
The LFS manual wiki
I've started a LFS Wiki to work on a manual for LFS S2. The idea is, that everybody who is interested in LFS and has some knowledge, can contribute to the manual. When you are interested in the project, feel free to visit the page and start writing. Don't be shy, you can do nothing wrong, thanks to how the wiki system works (it's always possible to restore an older version). You don't even need to register, just click on "edit" and start writing.

A PDF version of the manual is now available here.

If there's enough interest, maybe there will even be a printed version of the manual.

http://www.lfswiki.net
#2 - eobet
Not that this isn't a good idea, but I was hoping for a LFS setup wiki. You know, basic stuff, cause and effect, and then guidelines for the different tracks, perhaps even corners, what too look out for, temperature guides, tyre strategies, etc. etc. All written in a way that a newbie player can understand.
There's nothing to stop you adding to it. That's the idea
What a great idea! We should have thought of this long ago!!
eobet, if you have any ideas for making my advanced setup guide a bit more accessable, I'd certainly take note. I know it can be a bit over some people's heads.
-
(Schooner) DELETED by Schooner
#6 - MikeB
Hey, very good idea. Already A LOT of info in that wiki
Quote from eobet :Not that this isn't a good idea, but I was hoping for a LFS setup wiki. You know, basic stuff, cause and effect, and then guidelines for the different tracks, perhaps even corners, what too look out for, temperature guides, tyre strategies, etc. etc. All written in a way that a newbie player can understand.

thats the most important thing indeed and prolly, for me, the only reason for a manual

car setups section already has some info on that.
Quote from andylec :There's nothing to stop you adding to it. That's the idea

..besides the thing that keeps popping up that says LOGGIN!
Great idea GP4Flo, lots of useful info already.
as a relitive racing newbie, i'd like to see some racing technique tips on the wiki
like, i'd always been shifting on the light, but i've been told that that's a no-no. tips like that which shave a second off a lap are very helpful
Quote from Zoltuger :
like, i'd always been shifting on the light, but i've been told that that's a no-no.

It is??? When should I be shifting then?
when it sounds like it should be shifted, i thought that was obvious?
It would be if the red light wasn't bugging you to shift earlier!
Dunno, I always shift at the red light, I thought that was the point of it, it's a shift aid, not a set of shift lights. That's one of the reasons you can turn it off if you prefer. Try waiting an extra 1000rpm before shifting and you'll see acceleration will increase after the shift, indicating you waited too long.
I can't get into it; it's asking for a username and password.

[edit]: ignore me...it's too damn early for me to think. :doh:
Quote from Resound :I can't get into it; it's asking for a username and password.

[edit]: ignore me...it's too damn early for me to think. :doh:

You were not the only one who didn't read my first post properly

I've now added an adbanner to the site and removed the password protection. It's now open for anyone without the need to enter username and password.
thanks for setting this up!
What a coincidence...i just (re-) started mapping/modding for HL2 after
giving up last year. Of course, im going to working on vehicles also
The great physics in the Source engine being both a pleasure and pain
to work with...

I often use the Source wiki, maybe now would be a good time to ask
what does WIKI stand for exactly ?! All i know is it's very usefull.
#20 - jmkz
WIKI= What I Know Is
A PDF version of the LFS Manual Wiki is now available here.
The best manual I ever had! Thanks a lot!
Quote from GP4Flo :A PDF version of the LFS Manual Wiki is now available here.

Fantastic!!! Thanks, now I can print out certain sections that I want in front of me when I'm on LFS full screen. Like exerts from the setup section.
-
(psy00) DELETED by psy00 : posted on the wrong thread :)
The LFS manual wiki has moved to a new server without ad banners and the 1080 port, so people behind a firewall can access it too.

http://lfs.racenetwork.de/
Quote from Bob Smith :eobet, if you have any ideas for making my advanced setup guide a bit more accessable, I'd certainly take note. I know it can be a bit over some people's heads.

I allready look at your ASG as a kind of bible as it covers so many things that are to be considered when setting up a car... really great work. But as you said, it's a bit to complex if you try to look up a specific thing. Basically, everything is mentioned, but what it needs is a section for "reverse lookup".

You know, beginners like me read the setup guide 1 or 2 times, but when they encounter a specific problem, it is very hard to find all possible solutions in the guide. A good thing would be a list of scenarios with possible solutions, like:

My car doesn't reach enough top speed!
- You could set your gear ratio to ... (page x)
- Try to decrease the wings angles (page y)

My car oversteers when entering a corner / while under no throttle!
- Try this
- Try that

My car oversteers when exiting a corner / when engine is under load!
- Try ... whatever

I Think you get the idea. The problem is that I don't have such an overview which points me to the solutions in your guide. I know the solutions are in it, but there is always more than 1 option to fix something. Now the question would be how to make such a 'what to do, when'-list. I can't answer many of those questions yet, but I got a lot of questions if this may help someone to establish such a checklist.

The LFS manual wiki
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG