The online racing simulator
Movies about Racing and Cars
(47 posts, started )
Winning (1969)

I caught the end of this film once and it had the Indy 500 from 1969, and some great camera angles.
Quote from ChiliFan :Winning (1969)

I caught the end of this film once and it had the Indy 500 from 1969, and some great camera angles.

Nice tip, never heard of that one. Paul Newman is in it, so it can't be all bad, I guess.

Edit:
Quote from MAGGOT :All you need. (FFW through the stupid talking bits and watch the sweet cars racing)

"Stupid talking bits" is a funny thing to say in regard to "Le Mans" as people hardly talk anyway in that movie (and the little they do talk, I quite like, tbh). I think the first 20 minutes or so, the only talk is that of the race track announcer (or whatever you'd call it). Classic! My favourite part of the movie. You'd hardly find anything like it nowadays, as movies have to be "fast" right from the beginning.
I have to say, Grand Prix and Le Mans are my favorite movies. My only problem is that Grand Prix is so long and some effects are terrible(i know it's old, but you shouldn't see the smoke from the cannon at the Monaco crash)
#30 - Smax
theres hotrod

and the transporter ( jason stedman is a legend !! )
Just remembered a movie that's, errh, a little different:

Crash (1996) by David Cronenberg
(it's rather disturbing, though)
The old Grand theft auto was a good movie
Does Duel count?

If not....Le Mans, Grand Prix and Winning <------ My top 3 racing movies, in that order

DK
Quote :Does Duel count?

How could I forget?? One of the best car movies ever imo (that I've seen- even though it was mainly about a truck )
Quote from Hankstar :C'etait Un Rendezvous (1976) - very short, it's a bumper-cam view of some guy hooting through the streets of Paris very early in the morning, allegedly in a Dino. It's become a cult classic, mostly because the director has never owned up to who did the drive and in what car (likely because it was him, in a Citroen 2CV and he sped the footage up and added a Ferrari soundtrack ).

IMDB says "Claude Lelouch confirmed on his official website in March 2006 that he was driving, and it was a 6.9 litre Mercedes."

It's nice short film but I still don't give applause for it because it's the grandfather of Getaway in Stockholm and bunch of other "movies" made by Steve McQueen wannabes (read: reckless idiots).

ps. No one has yet mentioned Taxi Driver, the cab in the movie has at least a supporting role.

Quote from Thunderhead :Hey,what was the name of that movie where Gene Hackman(I think atleast) chases a Chicago Metro train with a car? I remember faintly that I watched that.....

Already mentioned above...The French Connection...Popeye Doyle pwns teh baddies!
Two not mentioned yet:-

"The Car" 1977 demon possessed car, looks a bit like that Lada in the other thread, drives around killing everyone

"Bobby Deerfield" 1978, Al Pacino plays a racing driver, more of alove story actually, but still lots of nice cars esp his Alfa GTV

All my favourites have already been mentioned, Grand Prix, Le Mans, Italian Job etc.

How about the original Gumball Rally film or Easy Rider also from the 70's.

Edit: \/ \/ :haha: beat ya by 1 min !
I thought nobody would mention Two Lane Blacktop.

Good flick.

Another one is called "The Car" (1977) about a car that is possessed by the devil.

"The Driver" (1978)

"The Last Ride" <-- a little cheesy but it does have the new GTO
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Does Duel count?

If not....Le Mans, Grand Prix and Winning <------ My top 3 racing movies, in that order

DK

Hell yeah, how could I forget Duel? :doh: My favourite Spielberg picture
#43 - JTbo
What car movie is this, it had futuristic sports car that did run on water, that was very fast, but it got nicked. I remember it driving on salt lake, in tunnel and there was a truck too and some league of car thieves or something.

Car was transported on trailer and it was some family that has made it.

Well, can't remember much more from it, does anyone regonize this car film?
Quote from JTbo :What car movie is this, it had futuristic sports car that did run on water, that was very fast, but it got nicked. I remember it driving on salt lake, in tunnel and there was a truck too and some league of car thieves or something.

Car was transported on trailer and it was some family that has made it.

Well, can't remember much more from it, does anyone regonize this car film?

For Your Eyes Only (Bond movie ) had a futuristic Lotus Esprit that went UNDER the water
#45 - JTbo
Quote from Bladerunner :For Your Eyes Only (Bond movie ) had a futuristic Lotus Esprit that went UNDER the water

I do know Bond movies pretty well.

I think in movie what I meant car was orange/black colour, or red/black colour, can't find what it was called, pfff.
Quote from Mazz4200 :
How about the original Gumball Rally film ...

Cannonball Run? A very cool film with a lot of very cool conversations.

I like Sammy Davis Jr. and Dean Martin (always drunken) most.
Attached images
samdean.jpg
Quote from Crazy Harry :Cannonball Run? A very cool film with a lot of very cool conversations.

Nope, Gumball Rally was an entirely different film http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gumball_Rally although it was about the same race

"The cars are really going 100mph+ through New York City. It was filmed early on a Sunday with the streets closed briefly."
"A good deal of effort went into reproducing accurate sounds from the now classic cars participating in the race. Few movies of the era managed this, and some find the opportunity to hear the V12 Ferrari and 427 Cobra at full song is alone worth the time spent viewing this film."

Much better film than Cannonball Run in my opinion.

Movies about Racing and Cars
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG