The online racing simulator
Cruise Control
(65 posts, started )
#1 - kyler
Cruise Control
Is there such a mod that holds down ur gas pedal for you? or holds a axis at one spot and dont move? kinda dumb question....
You do realize that cruise control doesn't simply "hold the pedal" for you, right?

It maintains a speed, not simply a throttle position. If the car slows down it will apply more throttle to maintain that speed, if it speeds up it will apply less. The most obvious cases of both being changes of incline.
#3 - kyler
is there eanything made or can be made?
-
(MonkOnHotTinRoof) DELETED by MonkOnHotTinRoof
#4 - kyler
Quote from LFSn00b :1. Go get a brick
2. drop it in your gas pedal
3. something
4. Profit!

thxs im going to do that
#5 - kyler
Quote from kyler :Is there such a mod that holds down ur gas pedal for you? or holds a axis at one spot and dont move? kinda dumb question....

as i said Dumb Question....
Well, for the first time EVER i'm going to contribute to a thread with MEANINGFULL and NON SPAMMY response.

Example : You are in 5th gear. And you need 15% throttle to maintain a 60mph cruise on the straight and level.

Surley a program , probbably Via insim would be able to make LFS think you have got the accelerator pedal held down 15%. Then, and here comes the more complex part, when you go up/down a hill, a couple of mathmatical equations calculate the force (gravity [from the hill, whether its going to slow you down {uphill}, or speed you up {downhill}]) and will add more throttle, or decrease throttle accordingly.

Like, in a real car (afaik) the cruise control will just use the electronic throttle to maintain at xx (or xxx) mph based on inclines/resistance and so on

After you figure out the calculations for the up/downhill, i'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to do.
#7 - Jakg
Doesn't it just do:

IF SPEED =>50 THEN APPLY BRAKES
IF SPEED =<50 THEN APPLY THROTTLE
Most cruise control mechanisms don't apply any braking force.
Yup. Cruise on my dads vectra just backs off.

If you got Radar Guided Cruise control it does.
Just mod the pit lane limiter! simple all you would have to do is change the speed which it is set to...
Thats not a cruise control. Let your foot off the throttle and you'll slow down.

Check your definition of cruise control
I m +1 for the brick method ....

Ok, I m leaving...
Quote from the_angry_angel :Most cruise control mechanisms don't apply any braking force.

Not brake discs, no, but they do use engine braking to slow the car down when going downhill.

So I've been told at least.
It would be pretty nice in cruise servers, it's very hard to keep a certain speed with keyboard. I think a limiter would be good, just like the pit limiter but set for example at 100km/h. I think that would be good because you cant go through all corners at 100km/h, you have to slow down in some places, then you would just lift your foot off the gas, slow down, and then after the corner accelerate again, simple as that!
#15 - vane
you just want this so you can get +6 on the TC servers dont you, especially as you have to go at 62mph/100kph
what i know about cc, you go to a certain speed, you push the cc button, going downhill it puts brakes on the engine, once it gets going up the hill the engine revs up but does not change the set speed. Now if you push the gas pedal it will move the set speed up, if you hit the brake pedal it shuts the cc off.

thats all i know about cc haha
Quote from Jakg :Doesn't it just do:

IF SPEED =>50 THEN APPLY BRAKES
IF SPEED =<50 THEN APPLY THROTTLE

oscillation ftw

seriously though a proper cruise control system is quite a bit more complicated than that
idk alot about cruise control, but on my dads merc, if your cruising along, it applys more force while going uphill, applys engine braking while going downhill and also, as soon as you touch the brakes or accelerater, it de-activates the CC. One thing with it i really like is if you've got it on, and it hits bump i.e a kerb, it de-activates it self. May sound silly, but think about it, your cruising along, fall asleep while with CC on then as soon as you veer off road, it de-activates because of the bumps
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :One thing with it i really like is if you've got it on, and it hits bump i.e a kerb, it de-activates it self. May sound silly, but think about it, your cruising along, fall asleep while with CC on then as soon as you veer off road, it de-activates because of the bumps

That wouldn't work well around where I'm at. The CC would constantly be shutting off just from normal bumps in the road.

All cruise control does is regulate the throttle to hold a certain set speed. It doesn't apply brakes, or apply engine braking. There is no "applying" engine braking. If you start going uphill, it will apply throttle to try to keep the speed at the setpoint. If going downhill and speed increases, it will simply lift the throttle. No braking involved. The difference is in the transmission. An automatic tranny has very little compression braking because there is no mechanical link between the driveline and the engine. Thus, it will simply coast. With a manual tranny, you will see a little compression braking because the driveline is mechanically engaged to the engine through the clutch system. But since you would be in top gear, you wouldn't see much compression braking and more than likely, the car will still accelerate due to the gravitational pull of moving downhill.

I've never heard of CC shutting off because of hitting the throttle. You will manually accelerate by pressing the throttle, but when you let off, the cruise control will continue trying to hold the speed at setpoint. If you depress the clutch or the brake pedal, then cruise control will shut off.

My car has 2 throttle cables. One is the throttle pedal, the other is for the cruise control, or at lease I assume it is because it does nothing when I press the throttle. I've never attempted to try to see what it's doing while driving 60 mph down the road with the cruise control on
i agree that the easiest way would be to mod the pit limiter value, then alt+tab out of the game with the gas pedal pressed, let off the pedal, then alt+tab back into the game and the gas pedal will be pressed until you press it again.

if you have an actual pedal, you might be able to use the alt+tab method to hold a specific throttle opening, which would keep your speed close to the desired speed.
#21 - Jakg
Quote from Shotglass :oscillation ftw

seriously though a proper cruise control system is quite a bit more complicated than that

Yes, i KNOW what i said was a simple (and crap) version of it, but it would be a lot easier to code than a proper system
i thought if you hit hte throttle with cruise control on it increases the speed?
#23 - Jakg
Nope, it turns off in case you've fallen asleep or panic or something.
Nope, it just settles back to the set speed when your foot comes off the accelerator.
It turns off when you press the brake pedal.
To increase either (I've never tried this but I guess it would work), press gas, and when you're at the speed you want to be press the CC button. Otherwise use the 5mph incremental or whatever it is in non mph countries.

Cruise Control
(65 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG