The online racing simulator
car2airplane bug
(135 posts, closed, started )

Poll : Should this bug be at the top of the todo list?

Yes
No
This isn't a 'bug' and it's not an on or off issue so it can't be 'fixed'
The only thing Scawen an do is to minimise the problem, getting a faster server with higher bandwidth and setting everthing up corectley will 'fix' the problem better the he ever could.

lag and packet loss cause most of the rubber band collisions, but your right in saying it can be made better.
The way cars interact with barriers and other track objects can be a bit funky at times.

To fix it( and I mean so you never see it again) code side you would have to have the ai take over when a player has packet loss, then blending in the ai's prediction when the client gets new data from the server. Now this requires some hevey duty coding and would strain even top end pc's while running. 32 ai's running when your wifi drops out for 200ms?
And you would still have player's reacting to incorrect client prediction just as they do now.
Oh and the perfect fix? NO collision... At all.

It's more practical for player's to sort out their modems, improve framerates and to stick to the best servers with low ping.
@-M-: Maybe a replay showing how you smoothly drive into a wall (a regular wall, not a red-white barrier) and it violently bouncing you back could help me understand what you mean.
I think many people have posted here without even knowing what is being discussed. Violently crashing into whatever will have very bad consecuences, we all know that, but that's not the point.

Many of you may have noticed that when you make a mistake and step on the grass getting offtrack sometimes trying to avoid the barriers by braking and turning will make you hit the wall with the side of your car (at very low speed) resulting in your car flying, while if you just turn towards the wall to have a direct frontal hit it will leave some damage on your car, but it won't end up flipping over. This happens with some kinds of barriers and in some specific tracks, it doesn't happen all the time everywhere.

But the things that really bugs you the most is when you are driving door to door with another car at the same speed after slipstreaming him and then approaching to the corner you just rub your doors driving both cars in a straight line and then one of them is shot away spinning while the other one doesn't move an inch. That's what we are talking about, and that's not crashing or wrecking.

As I say, most of the times it happens with very slight lateral contact caused by close racing, not with heavy crashes or frontal contact.

I just say that games with poorer physics like GT or even NFS don't have this issue, and it's common sense that when you are racing close to another car and just rub his side at a long straight if you end up flying it really gets to your nerves. It's something that shouldn't happen, so let's just hope scawen finds a good way to solve this strange car behaviour caused by light contact.

PS: Thanks to Scawen for replying to this thread.
-
(BurnOut69) DELETED by BurnOut69 : not worth it
But a car is a totally different thing altogether
Quote from spankmeyer :Solutions:

1) Somebody could build a time machine and go back in time to tell ID Software that telefragging is neither fun or cool. The future will change and meanwhile John Romero's Daikata will be the best game ever.

2) Learn to drive without crashing.

3) Upgrade your 28k modems.

4) Learn to drive without crashing.

5) Srsrly d00ds, my only +1 in this thread goes to 'learn to drive' comments.

Wow you're very clever and you got a good point there... err.. NO

You're obviusly wrong, if you were a mature person instead of a silly child trying to make fun of us you wouldn't had post that
Now rest a little and go do your homework or daddy will hit your lazy ass :P
Good thing this actually seems to be quite high on the todo list

And hopefully that SO pit lane thing that -M- mentioned will also be fixed in the SO update

Aren't the devs just great
#108 - -M-
Quote from AndroidXP :@-M-: Maybe a replay showing how you smoothly drive into a wall (a regular wall, not a red-white barrier) and it violently bouncing you back could help me understand what you mean.

One player mode, max speed 13km/h.
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=kkBcGDyXU-s
I tried to make a longer vid with more examples but my pc seems not want to run Movie Maker

Edit: WTF... It was a bit longer...
Your video is only 4 seconds long and doesn't show anything. But there is a really bad collision bug in the SOs pit entrance, any hit at that will throw your car around, usually back to the track.
#110 - -M-
Quote from geeman1 :Your video is only 4 seconds long and doesn't show anything.

Yes, I know
Patience... I'm trying to upload it in another place... Hope it works
#111 - -M-
Quote from Sergio Macias :...Ah, so we the spanish freaky armada can return to our caves and keep crashing ourselves till the end of times. It's an ofence the lack of respect from many senior members, which sometimes don't tolerate any suggestion, overprotect devs and seem to have in mind that for any reason a country like Spain is just in a lower world. I've seen this also in other forums and in real life, it's disgusting at some points...

I've also noticed this feeling on this thread, some posts are just pointless and talking bollocks.
Today I have read words like Franco armada, caves, 'spanish invasion' and some other rubbish, just because some guys that happened to be from spain wrote on the some thread.
It appears as only people from Northern countries (in Europe or America) can post on the same forum and still be a cool community.
About the bug, as long as it's a 'bug' it should be fixed. When? that is a dev decision and has already been answered, end of the story.
#113 - -M-
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I'd haffto agree with Becky on that, The STCC has about 20 drivers to each race, and in most races, all of the drivers have finished, bar a few rolls, and miscalculations in fuel. Most public races have no problems with collisions, and in Patch X, the collisions are actually improved. Maybe you Spaniards have more lag problems, but I'm in Canadialand, and get about 170 ms ping to the STCC and CTRA servers, and I have no issues with becoming a RB4-oplane.

Hmmm... Maybe race length (we are doing 60-70 min races) and/or ctrl+p (we have it prohibited) could explain it in part
Quote from DeXteRrBDN :The Spanish LFS community ...

Don't take this badly, but you aren't representing the Spanish community, so, please, next time, don't involve all of us in your (or lfs-spain) opinions.
Quote from eindh :Don't take this badly, but you aren't representing the Spanish community, so, please, next time, don't involve all of us in your (or lfs-spain) opinions.

Dexterr is talking in name of the official LFS spanish community, not in name of all the spanish people who plays LFS
Don't get angry with him dude!
Quote from -M- : -HPR-M.288_SO4R_FZ5.spr

Oh come on, the pitwalls of almost every track are bugged like this. But why on earth would spazzing out on the pitwalls have any influence on the ongoing race? I mean, that would imply that you crashed out before and went to pits, or joined midrace. Two things that you shouldn't do during league races to begin with.

Whatever, this thread is over anyway...
Quote from -M- :Hmmm... Maybe race length (we are doing 60-70 min races) and/or ctrl+p (we have it prohibited) could explain it in part

Our races are about 40 mins long, we have no resets, shift+p prohibited (but if an incident does occur, a safety car is brought out, and then the admin says when player should go to spectate).
i voted yes. Too many times have i been racing, made a slight mistake (which we all do) and then i VERY slightly clip the barriers, which sends my car flying. Pisses me off
Im agree too
Quote from jamvib :I've also noticed this feeling on this thread, some posts are just pointless and talking bollocks.
Today I have read words like Franco armada, caves, 'spanish invasion' and some other rubbish, just because some guys that happened to be from spain wrote on the some thread.
It appears as only people from Northern countries (in Europe or America) can post on the same forum and still be a cool community.
About the bug, as long as it's a 'bug' it should be fixed. When? that is a dev decision and has already been answered, end of the story.

Anyone looking for common sense? Then listen to this guy (jamvib)
This topic has been "RAPED" hundred times over,give them time they already know about this bug and I am sure that they will fix it some day
Quote from 11SuLLy11 :This topic has been "RAPED" hundred times over,give them time they already know about this bug and I am sure that they will fix it some day

No, the only thing that has been "RAPED" hundreds of times around here is you SuLLy

I'm sure they are working on this though
Thats a big fat no from me. I think realistic damage ie stress related damage and breakages are far more important as are probably loads of other physics stuff.

If you hit those kinda barriers I think your race is normally over anyway.
Quote from southamptonfc :Thats a big fat no from me. I think realistic damage ie stress related damage and breakages are far more important as are probably loads of other physics stuff.

If you hit those kinda barriers I think your race is normally over anyway.

Yeah it might well be over, unless you drive like sully at 1mph.

Thing is, the last time I saw a car hit a barrier, it didn't really fly
last time I saw a car hit a barrier it did fly, and he was out of the race but Kubica was flying before he hit the barrier too : )
This thread is closed

car2airplane bug
(135 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG