The online racing simulator
Bad performance with Fraps (making movies)
(16 posts, started )
Hi.

I tried to make a movie yesterday with fraps, and had a big performance problem. When I start recording I only get 4 framerates with the graphic on very low!

My system:
Intel Pentium 3.o ghz
nVidia Geforce 6800
1024 mb ram

It shouldn't have been that bad??
Anyone here that could help me solve the problem?

Thanks for help!
What resolution did you use when recording? Use 640x480 or 800x600.

Also turn on "Half-Size" option in Fraps.
Thanks.

I'll try it out
#4 - (SaM)
Dont use half size. If you want to use half the resolution, set LFS to half the resolution. Half Size still uses alot more than half the CPU power wich causes alot lower FPS.
Just set LFS to the resolution you'd like the movie to be (640x480 is enough), or slightly bigger.
I've tested it many times and at least I get just a little higher FPS when recording half-size (800x600 half-sized vs. 640x480 full-sized). In other games too, not only in LFS. But then again I have kind of low-end (AXP2200+/1GB/9500 Pro) computer.
Also, are you recording at full speed? Assuming it's a replay you can play it back at 0.5x and record at half the required FPS. Then do another recording at full speed in super low resolution or use something other than fraps to capture the sound. You can then use virtual dub to sort out the frame rate and play speed and add the sound in.
Dave's idea is the one to go with. You can record the video with 0.25X speed in LFS and use a very low capturing framerate, for example 10 fps. When you play it back in 40fps, you will have a very smooth video.
also not using the fraps frames per second counter boosts up the performance
Heh, I guess I'm lucky. My framerate drops from 90FPS to 30FPS, so I'm fine in that respect. How do you play back slower? and how do you make a custom "TV" style camera that you can control if it's even possible?
shift+U , then take the HUD off with shift+ F
Also of cause ur frames are gonna drop its recording real time with uncompressed RAW data so yeh it will always drop heaps in frames mine only drops about 8 fps now so yeh im happy hope this helps ya anyways.
peace out guys
TURN OFF Full Screen Anti-Aliasing (AA) in LFS, that's it.
Quote from Sarlacc :TURN OFF Full Screen Anti-Aliasing (AA) in LFS, that's it.

This thread is 4 years old, christ.
Got to love these people bumbing acient threads.

This must be the leader so far. 4 year old bump
Ahahahahaha
Archaeologist of the year award easily... digging up so old threads is actually talent.

Quote from Sarlacc :TURN OFF Full Screen Anti-Aliasing (AA) in LFS, that's it.

His version does not have AA support built in yet, futureman.
Heheh, thanks for helping me out anyway!
Now, after all these years, I can finally start producing movies eh!

(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG