The online racing simulator
Will ps3 run overseas?
(11 posts, started )
#1 - ZORER
Will ps3 run overseas?
Hi guys!
I'm thinking of getting a ps3 these days but it is bloody expensive in my country.(nearly double the U.S. price) Will it be running full functionally if i buy it in U.S. and bring here? (i mean the electric cables and area code or things like that) And will i be able to connect to ps3 network..?And can i use my momo on ps3? And is it possible to upgrade it's ram with external memory cards?And is it really a super-fast computer under linux?

1) It will run fully functional, yes.
2) The electric cable will not fit but it is just a standard one, you could buy another one from an electrical store.
3) You'll probably only be able to connect to the US playstation network
4) Yes, you can use your Momo with the PS3
5) Nope, you can't upgrade RAM using memory cards
6) I haven't tried it under Linux so I haven't a clue. I would've thought it would perform somewhere around a mid-range PC until they make a build that uses all 7 cores available
#3 - ZORER
Thanks for your answers!
But i'm dissapointed about the ram and linux multi-core issues. i'm not sure about buying it. I don't play much games other than LFS so i was thinking of using it as a mini render server..But seems not possible for now.
The current linux builds use 3 cores IIRC. It shouldn't be too long until they are able to use 7. If you're going to the US soon and you have the money (and want to spent it) then buy it.
ove here there 700 euro ( for the basic package ) i think it would be cheaper to buy 20 years membership to lfs then a ps3 ( even tho i cant afford either :dunce: )
20 years membership to LFS only costs £12 (or did, not sure if you can still buy S1 licenses)
Do make sure that the PS3 accepts 110...240V input!
#8 - ZORER
I changed my mind..I'll wait another few months.
i doubt it can run overseas, it'll just sink as it hits the water no?
its fully functional.... down to the penny. You can create a psn account for all 3 territories if you want (i have one psn account for europe and another for usa).

The only thing you have to do is to buy a power cable to fit your country plug, because ps3 power supply is universal (and internal, no power brick as x360)

my only doubt is if bluray movies you buy from the oversees will work in the imported ps3.

About the wheel, only if the games support it. If you have a logitech, it will play if the game supports it.

About linux, sony only allows access to one of the memory pools and cell processor. No graphics accelerator. Its good to run internet and office applications. It also plays divx and etc, but i would wait for sony to give access to rsx first.
Quote from spyshagg :About linux, sony only allows access to one of the memory pools and cell processor. No graphics accelerator. Its good to run internet and office applications. It also plays divx and etc, but i would wait for sony to give access to rsx first.

You are mistaken, PS3 dissallows access to 1 memory pool and core, all others are open to linux - although current distro's use a maximum of 3 cores....

Will ps3 run overseas?
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG