The online racing simulator
is this fps number normal?
(36 posts, started )
#1 - dewyl
hi,i have a Sapphire Radeon X1650pro AGP x8

while i'm playing i have 45-65 FPS and in replays 65-95 fps is it normal?i don't use AA while playing and AF just simply graphics.
#2 - Jakg
What CPU do you have?

Sounds fairly normal, tbh
perfectly fine FPS
#4 - joen
depends on the rest of your system as well. LFS relies more on the CPU than on your graphics card.
#5 - dewyl
yes i was thinkin bout my cpu but wasnt sure but i have a very bad CPU : Intel Celeron D 2,53gHz
#6 - joen
Then I would say your FPS is fine, quite good actually
yeah, i only get around 20-30
Yeah thats pretty good, running a p4 2.8GHz with Nvidia 6200 256MB, I get about 50-60 in race, when on my own playing or replay type of thing its 70-90 roughly!

So yours sounds about right

I cant wait to get a better CPU and Graphics
that's preety good

175-180 at max settings for me but this game doesnt require much horsepower.

Athlon 64 X2 4400+

2048MB DDR2 800

Evga 8800GTS KO Superclock

Asus M2n sli deluxe

blah blah

anyways i run the game at 1600x1200x32bit 8xAA 16xAF (forced)
yea yea stop showing off
The human eye cant detect the difference between 60fps and higher so your top goal should be 60 fps. I get an average of 30-45 fps id say and im on Radeon IGP 320M with (most) all settings at minimum and I definetly cant use the in car view which sucks. Especially in a racing game, anything below 15 is nearly unplayable which is what I was at for a long time before I learned some newbie tricks to increase the speed of the game.
#12 - Jakg
Quote from KurtG85 :The human eye cant detect the difference between 60fps and higher so your top goal should be 60 fps.

argh! Yes it can! The human eye can detect the difference up to 13 THOUSAND FPS, although once you go over 200 it becomes pretty pointless
Quote from Jakg :The human eye can detect the difference up to 13 THOUSAND FPS,

Where on earth are you getting this information! ?

can you post a link?

SD.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :yea yea stop showing off

my FPS is around 70-90, and when there's 20 cars on the track around me, i get 13 FPS!!!, LAG LIKE HELL

but be in mind im using all the high-res addon textures, on a P4 3.0 6600gt 2RAM

so 60 is fine
Quote from Jakg :argh! Yes it can! The human eye can detect the difference up to 13 THOUSAND FPS, although once you go over 200 it becomes pretty pointless

Now I´m no expert but isn´t the standard TV framerate only about 25 frames per second? And the human eye sees it as a smooth motion...
Quote from Kalev EST :Now I´m no expert but isn´t the standard TV framerate only about 25 frames per second? And the human eye sees it as a smooth motion...

That's a popular belief and it comes from the fact that the human eye does perceive everything above ca. 25 fps as one fluid motion. However, that doesn't mean that it can't detect more than 25 fps (if one really notices a difference betwenn, say 100 fps and 13k fps, I don't know, but I doubt it).
What I stated was just something I had read from an old videogame mag a long time ago. I was obviously misinformed.
Heres another good, more concise article on the subject.

http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/editorials/fps/

I can tell you definitively from first hand experience that you only need to have the slightest worry about your frame rate being a bit too low if your much below 30 fps. Much below that (20, 15) and in some situations you lose enough visual input to make quick reactions to cars approaching or braking suddenly.
What is "normal" simply depends on how much 'power' one thinks the average computer has. Its complex of course but anything below 30 fps is definetly something worth improving if you want to improve your reaction times within the game due to the increased visual output. Anything 60 or over and your not going to notice much if any significant difference in how it affects your play allthough you may be able to see that it 'looks' a little smoother. Thats it in a nutshell I think.
I get 40-50 FPS when im alone and 20-30 FPS when im racing with 15 or more people.

And I run a stock Compaq Presario with a GeforceFX5200.
TV's are different anyway as they blend the frames together, so even though they are at 25fps, they look alot more fluid than 25fps in a computer game for example. Most people shoot for 60fps as anything over that won't really improve the fluidity of the screen that you can notice playing, though it may improve your response time by a minuscule amount which has been proven before to be true and is especially useful in FPS games like Counterstrike.
sorry if the question sounds silly but i wonder, is it any use to have a fps more than screen fresh rate?, no matter how fast the game have the frames changed, the g-card will only display freshrate amount of refreshes on the actual screen...

and also another question: how does limiting fps on lfs helps, and for what?, isn't it better to let the computer do at his best for any reason?, what's the idea behind limiting fps?

thanx
I get aroun 70-80fps usually, but at race starts and things it goes down to about 35fps.

Not too bad.

I got
Intel Dual Core 2.8ghz
ATI Radeon X800GTO 512mb
512mb RAM

So, pretty good considering my fairly low memory.

It's what i love about LFS, it doesn't need insane power to play well.

My old PC had 191mb of ram, a 700mhz intel celery processor, sorry i mean celeron. I got a whopping 3fps.

It also depends on whether its dark or not, the FPS is not as noticable by the eye when you are playing in the dark but in the light you will notice the FPS much more. So if yours is low your better off playing in the dark and you won't notice it as much. I think the eye detects about 30ish FPS.
I dont know about you guys but I can tell the difference between 60 & 80 FPS just by watching a replay. Its a hell of a lot smoother & more fluid like real life.

Just get a cheap Amd64 mobo/cpu combo. My bro's 3000+ runs lfs @ 80fps, dirt cheap these days.
i get approx. 10-12 fps with low graphics in the first corner (10 cars)

(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG