The online racing simulator
Overboost?
(36 posts, started )
Overboost?
What about overboost option for the xrt and other turbo cars that gives
like 50ft/lb of tourque for a few seconds? but you can only use it so many times before engine overheats(when the feature is implemented
so people wont get sneaky
Well, tbh funnybone, i think if this option was ever introduced, it would eventually get abit out of control.

Like for example, Lets say you were in a long race, you have been battling this one guy for about 20 laps, then you both come upto the finish line door to door, and just as you both cross the line, he hits the overboost which sends him into first, so he then wins the race.

I think you would be pretty annoyed if that happened

Frenchy
Doesnt overboost only work for like, 1st 2nd or 3rd or something?

If it does work in any gear, then its the same idea as NOS/Nitrous/N2O/etc, and shouldnt appear in LFS.
well you have a point there hehe.well he must be a GREEEAAAT racer since everyone else probabally used theres till there car lmost overheated but thanks for pointing that out
Welcome back the massive thread from 2 years ago that developed into a raging argument about whether racing would be more fun/realistic with a nos button.
we posted at the same time weird
Quote from al heeley :Welcome back the massive thread from 2 years ago that developed into a raging argument about whether racing would be more fun/realistic with a nos button.

I think this is more of a "is overboost a cheap alternative to NOS" discussion.

Although, thinking about it, overboost would be nice with the FXR and XRR, since the FZR is NA and cannot have overboost AFAIK. Would even the field no?

Still against it overal.
i see it now well then what about a limited number of them like with palmer audis? or just :noob: lock it then
im sure nos can be done now, by editing the brake values to positive values.

but, -1
Yeah, and then how do you stop? A potential exploit on the oval for sure though.
Stopping? Well...thats not my problem
i don't get it? why shouldn't nos appear in LFS? if the server admins can restrict the use of it, WHY NOT? i mean the dragstrip e.g. is almost dead in lfs. having NOS could make it much more interesting. knowing when to hit it and when not.

be open minded people and come out of your box...

NOS in a circuit league, not a good idea
NOS on drag strip. HELL YES!
Ladies and gents, we finally have NO2 advocated by an oval racer. Some like to drive around corners, others like to only turn left occasionally and at full throttle, but finally we've found someone who would prefer to drive only in a straight line!

NOS doesn't belong in a racing sim (except for dragsters), but a manual buel booster does. Most RL series allow the driver to adjust his/her fuel mixture on-the-fly for leaner or richer depending on strategy. This is especially important for you Iron-Butt endurance racers where fuel strategy should play a larger role than it does currently.

For that matter, I'd like to be able to adjust the brake balance on-the-fly, also.

Other than that, all Scawen has to do is allow dirt tires on the BF1 and the game will be complete.
#15 - Woz
Quote from Fischfix :i don't get it? why shouldn't nos appear in LFS? if the server admins can restrict the use of it, WHY NOT? i mean the dragstrip e.g. is almost dead in lfs. having NOS could make it much more interesting. knowing when to hit it and when not.

be open minded people and come out of your box...

NOS in a circuit league, not a good idea
NOS on drag strip. HELL YES!

I think you need to read up on how N20 systems work! Button press to trigger is for Fast and Furious cars, not anything serious.

NOS has no place on the track and in drag racing NOBODY in their right mind would have a trigger button to trigger N20. They already have far too much to deal with when the lights go green. Any REAL drag car that has an N20 system would have the N20 on ALL THE TIME. The only button they would have would be a purge button, which is used to make sure the system is primed correctly and will feed N20 and not air.

What drag needs is a big powerful car and proper starts that it is possible to jump etc.
Quote from Woz :What drag needs is a big powerful car and proper starts that it is possible to jump etc.

And a tyre model that can cope with ridiculous off-the-charts numbers.
#17 - Woz
Quote from thisnameistaken :And a tyre model that can cope with ridiculous off-the-charts numbers.

yep that would help

Wonder what it would take to be able to model what the rears go through in a top fuel car?
#18 - wark
Only if we get a champ car (there has been a thread about that).
Quote from funnybone2 :What about overboost option for the xrt and other turbo cars that gives
like 50ft/lb of tourque for a few seconds? but you can only use it so many times before engine overheats(when the feature is implemented
so people wont get sneaky

Apologies in advance for the following, but it get's my back up to see such ignorance on a car related forum.

It's lb.ft (or, technically lbf.ft) not lb/ft you silly cock!

Pounds times feet makes sense (think of levering on a bar)
Pounds per feet makes no sense

So please, before you ever post anything that might possibly be construed as technical, learn about the friggin stuff you're posting. Thanks.
Many diesel cars, including my previous 130 TDCi mondie had transient overboost, it would boost the turbo pressure if you floored it to overtake.

Mind you, they had to put a limit switch so it doesn't occur in first gear, other it would have been blown gearbox / flywheel / clutch central
once again overboost is suggested and the thread turnes into a nos thread

overboost would be ok if it was implemented so it only produced a small power increase not a silly figure and if it was limited to a relatively small total usage (say 1 sec per lap so 5secs for 5 laps, 30 secs over a 30 lap race ) this would be in line with various "push to pass" systems used in some real life catagories and so would bring an extra tactical element to its use, if non turbo catagories had a fixed rev limiter then a similar effect could be given by tempory raising the rev limit by 500 rpm

it should be an option for the servers rather than a fixed feature though so race organisers have the choice.
Just to note, Overboost isn't (IMO in road cars anyway) triggered by a press of a button or anything, it's an ECU/throttle position thing.

Either way, it wouldn't add anything to LFS
Quote from thisnameistaken :Ladies and gents, we finally have NO2 advocated by an oval racer. Some like to drive around corners, others like to only turn left occasionally and at full throttle, but finally we've found someone who would prefer to drive only in a straight line!

i don't know what you are trying to say. yes i am most of the time on the oval BUT i also like driving every other kind of racing lfs offers, drag racing is part of it. just because i am most of the time on the oval it does not mean i am ONLY on the oval. what about you, ever tried out banger, rallyX, mrt/rally, circuit, oval, slalom, stuntcar, drag, bullringing, CLC, Cruising? and i don't want to start that discussion again why oval is the most interesting part of lfs for me... anyway...

i a gree with the one who said for proper drag racing we would need a proper dragster, funnycar, topfuel what ever. but you forget about public drag. lot of dragtracks offers public days where everyone can bring his ride and lots of those cars use either injection, fuel mix or other kind of tuning.

i agree with the fact that it is not necessary for leagues racing allthough we had IRL! some kind of turbobox in the champ car series and in F1 giving the driver for a certain amount of time the possibility to crank out more HP.

and on top of that, ever heard of fuel mix?

again and again, get out of your box...
Anything to the road cars/Nitrous oxide? NONONO!

A version of the FOX that's a little bit faster and like an FPA anyway with a formula Palmer Audi style boost button? I could be converted.

Overboost?
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG