The online racing simulator
Wanted to post this for a long time...
I am a huge fan of F1, I always defended it when people say it has got boring.

1996 was when I first got interested in F1. I remember watch the final grand prix with my dad. When JV lost his rear wheel and Damon Hill went on to take the Championship.

But, 1997 was the first full season I watched. I watched the season review on YouTube last week. This video I feel makes todays seasons look utter crap...1997 was the best F1 season for a long time, its a shame because we wont have another season like it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqVO9AzXQNI

Enjoy!
You're right, I've started watching f1 since melbourne 96 non stop, never missed a single quali or race, until this year....
The people who drive f1 nowadays are just not interesting compared to the people who drove in the 90's. Same with the cars, they look crap if you compare it with a 97 car.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#3 - JJ72
It's always exciting when you pack a whole season in a 5 minutes highlight. I have season review tapes of 97, 99, 2003 and so on, and I must say the recent season are no less exciting then the ones before, at the very least 99 imo is better then 97 since the cars are more even. We lost Jean Alesi, Eddie Irvine, JV, but we now have Button, Kimi, Massa, Sato as well, which ain't bad at all.

as for the look of the cars...purely personal reference I would say, for me the 1990 season have the best looking cars, but modern cars has a different charisma all of its own as well.
#4 - JJ72
Quote from thisnameistaken :Blame the sponsors. When you've got booze and fags companies paying for the cars, you get drivers who drink, smoke, swear, shag and have punch-ups. Swap them out for investment banks and IT companies and your sport will be about as raucous as an investment bank or an IT company.

illepallsponsors can't change the persona of a driver, all they can do is control which part of that persona gets to the public. If you get pass that projected impression you can find drivers with character and as human as those before.
Looks like a typical season, Mclarens blowing up, Schumachers ramming people off the road and Villenerve being distinctly average. The 90s were quite good, its when Ferrari dominated after 2000 that it got boring.

Back in the 90s it was still possible to get a useless car to the front of the grid (Damon Hill, Arrows) At least we may be heading back that way.
Quote from The General Lee :1997 was the best F1 season for a long time,

That's because it was the last season that a Canadian won the championship.

LOL but yea, I lost interest once the rules changed; the narrower cars, grooved tires, etc. Although, that may have just been because my driver did crap from then on. Who knows? Things are looking up, relatively speaking, anyways. Maybe 07 will bring more excitment and side-by-side battles. That's all I ask for, I don't care who wins anymore.
That really was a great battle. Definately a close one.
#10 - MR_B
#12 - MR_B
And that's compelling viewing because.........
Quote :Back in the 90s it was still possible to get a useless car to the front of the grid (Damon Hill, Arrows) At least we may be heading back that way.

2003 Fisichella won a race in a bloody Jordan. It is still possible to win in a backmarker car, if the conditions are right.
Jordan wasn't really a backmarker, more of a mid-fielder, wasn't it?
#16 - MR_B
Quote from MAGGOT :Jordan wasn't really a backmarker, more of a mid-fielder, wasn't it?

I think in 2003 it was in that no mans land between back and midfielder

- yeah i'm talking b*ll*ocks again
#17 - mr_x
I've never really liked F1, I'm more of a touring cars fan (which includes compulsary paint-swapping overtaking) the drivers aren't scared of putting their cars in gaps, they go for overtakes. The viewing figures for the BTCC last year very nearly equaled those for the F1 in the UK. Oh, and when the championship goes down to the final round and is won by a few points... that's interesting!!

WTCC is awesome too, last year was won on race victories because Priaulx and Muller were equal on points, this year won by Priaulx again by a single point. It's a shame he's not as big as he should be, he's easily the UKs best motorsport driver right now. Sod F1, touring cars is where it's at, no pussy driving aids either
Quote from mr_x :touring cars is where it's at, no pussy driving aids either

FWDs are kinda pussy
My uncle Jan Magnussen competed in formula 1 i think 96' to 97' with stewart ford ..
Gues none of u will believe it but it is take care out there

Quote from deggis :FWDs are kinda pussy

not true.
FWD cars are best setup with oversteer, which can be quite hairy on high speed corners.
RWD cars dont really get oversteery on high speed stuff...
Touring cars are waaaaay better than single seaters (and i'm not biased at all )
#21 - mr_x
Quote from nikimere :Touring cars are waaaaay better than single seaters (and i'm not biased at all )

I'm glad someone agrees with me
Always preferred tin-tops to F1. Much more durable and don't fall to pieces when slightly off line
Quote from Dennis93 :My uncle Jan Magnussen competed in formula 1 i think 96' to 97' with stewart ford ..
Gues none of u will believe it but it is take care out there

Is this your uncle's website?

I wish I had a relative involved in motorsport. I'm the only one in my family that does anything related to racing.
Quote from nikimere :not true.
FWD cars are best setup with oversteer, which can be quite hairy on high speed corners.

Not really seeing as it's very easy to pull a FWD car out of oversteer.

Quote from Hoellsen :2003 Fisichella won a race in a bloody Jordan. It is still possible to win in a backmarker car, if the conditions are right.

But it's not as if he ran at the front of the field like Hill did, it was just a fluke win because of the number of cars that had retired and the timing of the red flag.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG