The online racing simulator
Drifting Formula-cars
(146 posts, started )
Quote from tristancliffe :No, because he didn't set out to score points. He was merely controlling a slide using opposite lock. His aim was to lose as little time as possible, and not to get as big an angle; thus it is NOT drifting.

Point taken.
Quote from tristancliffe :No, because he didn't set out to score points. He was merely controlling a slide using opposite lock. His aim was to lose as little time as possible, and not to get as big an angle; thus it is NOT drifting.

id claim after messing up (i doubt it was intentional) he used the angle to make his car as wide as possible to avoid any type of switchback maneuver from senna
Quote from Shotglass :id claim after messing up (i doubt it was intentional) he used the angle to make his car as wide as possible to avoid any type of switchback maneuver from senna

While that was an added bonus, I'm not sure it was what he was intending. He's a racing driver, things like that are purely instinct. He reacted to a slide and it had the benefit of making himself a little harder to pass.
Quote from Shotglass :id claim after messing up (i doubt it was intentional) he used the angle to make his car as wide as possible to avoid any type of switchback maneuver from senna

I think attempting to block a pass by deliberatley letting your car spin is the last thing on most racing drivers mind at those sort of speeds, especially when it's Senna in your mirrors
Quote from ajp71 :I think attempting to block a pass by deliberatley letting your car spin is the last thing on most racing drivers mind at those sort of speeds, especially when it's Senna in your mirrors

see thats the ingenuity of piquet
not only did he block the road he also effectively removed senna from his mirrors and thus from his mind
How does showing a 80's turbo rocket F1 prove anything about modern single seaters' capability to slide? It's like night and day
Don't try to make this thread into serious one.

Only drift modified Mazda RX-7s and Nissan 200ZXz can drift!!!11111two

17 points btw
Quote from ajp71 :I think attempting to block a pass by deliberatley letting your car spin is the last thing on most racing drivers mind at those sort of speeds, especially when it's Senna in your mirrors

i'm sure in the split second, he knew that if he let go of the inside line then he would have been passed.
Quote from Gabkicks :i'm sure in the split second, he knew that if he let go of the inside line then he would have been passed.

But there is a difference between knowing that leaving the inside open leaves you vulnerable to a pass and so you desperately try to keep the 'door' closed, and actively using a 'drift' to maintain position.

Quote from deggis :How does showing a 80's turbo rocket F1 prove anything about modern single seaters' capability to slide? It's like night and day

My car is a 1988 Reynard, so it's hardly modern/cutting edge either, although is is carbon fibre
yeah, i guess it varies. i've heard a few drivers admit to holding the inside line and if the car oversteers, instead of letting the car retain grip as it moves towards the outside, they try to hold onto the inside line, which prolongs the slide/drift. like you said, its not like they are trying to drift, its just they know that the car will oversteer because they know the car's limits.

i've done it myself a few times in lfs. on those corners... if i know the outside is much much slower than the inside line or some other situation.
#36 - Jakg
the other day (Sunday) i went karting to a "fun event" - 1 hour 30 Endurance race, 2 types of karts, 240 CC's and 200 CC's (200's have been abused to hell). There was a mixture of quick people who knew the track, people who'd never been in a kart before, and Rob Huff (The WTCC driver - who lapped the whole field in 5 minutes!). The first time i went out, i went in the 240, did rather well, gained some places, the second time i went in the abused 200, which was constantly under attack by the faster 240's (on the exit of every turn that extra power really shew - and on the straight they could fly past if i let them ), so on the entry to a few corners (and the exits) i drifted it a bit - one time i had to overtake someone just before the entry to a corner (they were in a 240, but f*cked up the corner before and i got it perfectly (for once!)) - to stop them getting past on the apex i shifted the weight around and got it very sideways on the exit, they couldn't pass (my car was sideways next to the grass) without ramming me or hitting the grass, and had to let off, and as the next whole section was flat out they only managed to recoup the speed at the end.

I also used drifting to recover from getting VERY sideways (90 D0r1fT0 y0!) on a patch of water.

Its useful in SOME situations, and possible, but drifiting never made me quicker!
Senna would do it if hed still alive u bitxes, die of envy
Some posts just ooze intelligence
That my friends, is the difference between powersliding and drifting.
Drifting is actually holding the oversteer and being able to control it, wich that formula car obviously isn't capable of nor meant to do.
Quote from (SaM) :That my friends, is the difference between powersliding and drifting.
Drifting is actually holding the oversteer and being able to control it, wich that formula car obviously isn't capable of nor meant to do.

Given the right setup/equipment/skills I'm sure a formula is able to be drifted (just like Senna showed), though it a) sure would be difficult, b) may probably not work at higher speeds, because of the downforce and c) still isn't meant to do so.

And yet again, I didn't exspect to turn in more than 3 posts.

PS: Thanks Slidaaa for your wonderful demostration of your intelligence
Quote from herki :(just like Senna showed)

It's Piquet the one who overtook Senna and did that pretty powerslide.
Well, since both of them are Brazilians, I'm proud anyway

ps: but yeah, Senna was a lot better
Bump...

Who says you can't drift formula cars (2.1MB)

Done entirely by accident as I was desperately pushing to maintain 3rd, which I'd taken just 2 corners earlier. It was more luck than skill that I didn't crash!!
oh no, tristan has become a dorifto
That's pretty plain skin you have for a drifter. And where are your neons and teh nawz?
Good stuff!
Good god tristan, I bet that was a bricking-it moment if anything ever was!

Nicely done may I add, kept the place too.
That looks like tonnes of fun, Tristan. Tell your dad I've bagsied next go.
A drift, is where the back isn't inline with the direction of the cars travel, whilst still being in control. A real drift would be a prolonged stance of this. Meaning. For a while
Newsflash - Blueflame has yet another sense of humour failure.

Drifting Formula-cars
(146 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG