The online racing simulator
Drifting Formula-cars
(146 posts, started )
#1 - herki
Drifting Formula-cars
And Tristan said it wouldn't be possible

(maybe that's a bit OT, but then again, it's about "racing"... Well, if it doesn't belong here move it )
Attached images
snapshot20061203223013.jpg
I'm sure that isn't drifting ...
#3 - herki
Quote from squad_e :I'm sure that isn't drifting ...

I'm sure you're right ... if you had seen the video you would even know that only a bit of a slide
much more angle should be impossible with the low steering lock and aerodynamics of a formula
You can drift any car, it's just more difficult with a formula style car. Lack of steering lock and grip changing with downforce being key factors.

Edit: Damn, too slow.
#6 - J.B.
You noobs, that must be fake. Didn't you know that racing cars have ultra unforgiving, ultra low slip angle tyres that cannot be recovered from any visible yaw angle and need the demi-god racing driver skills of a rich, gentleman racer?

Oops, wrong forum.
*wonders off to RSC
Quote from J.B. :You noobs, that must be fake. Didn't you know that racing cars have ultra unforgiving, ultra low slip angle tyres that cannot be recovered from any visible yaw angle and need the demi-god racing driver skills of a rich, gentleman racer?

Oops, wrong forum.
*wonders off to RSC

You are wrong. It just isn't possible.
It can be possible, slide in the middle of some corners, but don't even think about linking corners.
Hey Tristan, come and shut these guys up. It was a low speed slide (where aerodynamics have little effect), which lasted less than a split second. Just a quick jab of opposite lock, not drifting. Actually some great car control IMO, learnt from LFS of course.

Edit: The vid is on his website if you don't believe me. Lucky git too, i'd love to have a blast in that.
I've seen some hillclimb footage where a couple of openwheelers do a perfect powerslide hairpin. They weren't carrying much speed so aero drag was not a problem.
#11 - DeKo
Quote from Eldanor :I've seen some hillclimb footage where a couple of openwheelers do a perfect powerslide hairpin. They weren't carrying much speed so aero drag was not a problem.

yeah, you can just stab the throttle and wheelspin it right round the corner. e.g, a1gp guys getting round the hairpin at beijing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifcSSwzbJos
Quote from J.B. :You noobs, that must be fake. Didn't you know that racing cars have ultra unforgiving, ultra low slip angle tyres that cannot be recovered from any visible yaw angle and need the demi-god racing driver skills of a rich, gentleman racer?

Oops, wrong forum.
*wonders off to RSC

of course! everyone knows that; haven't you guys played need for speed?
how about rFactor, i can take a friggen 1000000000 bhp car and go around a hairpin without slipping a tire.. gah..

lol

as bob already said, you can do a slide anything that has wheels
*waits till somebody puts a video of Gilles Villeneuve slamming his Ferrari sideways into corners*

Hell, I'll do it myself. Only it's gonna be Nelson Piquet, not Gilles. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w92n92xh1gw
Quote from DaveWS :Hey Tristan, come and shut these guys up. It was a low speed slide (where aerodynamics have little effect), which lasted less than a split second. Just a quick jab of opposite lock, not drifting. Actually some great car control IMO, learnt from LFS of course.

Edit: The vid is on his website if you don't believe me. Lucky git too, i'd love to have a blast in that.

Cool videos there Tristan.. you lucky bastard :weeping:
Are those Alpinestars F1-T gloves you're using?
Seen this thread pop up a few times, but never looked inside. Today I do, and I find out it's about me

The original picture (which is my desktop background btw) was a slow speed left hander at Lydden Hill race circuit, called Devils Elbow. The corner is probably 'just' 55mph, maybe a little more (no datalogger yet, so I can't tell you what speed/revs we were pulling at that point). The track was damp, and because it's alongside a rallycross circuit the tarmac is very dirty and greasy in the damp.

The slide probably lasted about 0.2 of a second, and I corrected it immediately, without drama. Aero loadings would have been low at that point.

The gloves are Alpinestar Tech 1-Z, and I love them. They are comfy, FIA approved and look fantastic to boot!

Edit: why the You Tube movies? Do people think it's impossible to slide a S-S, and thus others are trying to prove them wrong? I don't get it.
Quote from tristancliffe :Edit: why the You Tube movies? Do people think it's impossible to slide a S-S, and thus others are trying to prove them wrong? I don't get it.

I think it's the ongoing "what you can drift argument."
Apparently some people think that "things going sideways = drifting".
And since it seems to encompass anything from outhouses to 18wheelers singleseaters get caught up in it too.
For the sake of people who refuse to download movies, but accept You Tube broadcasts, here is the short highlight clip thing on You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnzLN1IbYsU

@George: Yes, I can't understand why people can't tell the difference between 'drifting', 'four wheel drifts', 'oversteer', 'powerslide', 'slide'...... It's not rocket science - I had an oversteer slide, corrected it and carried on. At no point did my IQ drop below 9, I didn't feel the need to install NAWZ, I didn't score points based on the angle and length of the slide, and I wanted to be fast and realised that drifting could only slow me down, and the stickers on each side of the car are on the correct way around.

Edit: I know some are jokes by the way - I'm not accusing all of you of not understanding :P
Mine was a joke, at how some people will consider the smallest slide a drift.
Would my Piquet video qualify as drifting?

It was a powerslide, but on a really really hard angle! I just don't know.
No, because he didn't set out to score points. He was merely controlling a slide using opposite lock. His aim was to lose as little time as possible, and not to get as big an angle; thus it is NOT drifting.
You spun! Coooooool
Andrew spun, not Tristan... You should read the info on reynard883.com
btw: I didn't exspect the thread to get that amount of answers
Quote from herki :Andrew spun, not Tristan... You should read the info on reynard883.com

Aww, it was still cool looking and suprising thou :P

Drifting Formula-cars
(146 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG