The online racing simulator
Diesel car
(208 posts, started )
Mmmhh..

Diesel engines, I would say YES for diesel engines..

My dad got an 1.9 TDI Polo, with 101 bhp producing 250 nm.. 75 kw @ 4000 RPM.

And no, diesel engines does not sound that bad today!
uh, Diesel cars sounds like a good idea, but how could you tell? Especially if
the newer diesels perform at the same level as gas burning motors? What would
be there that would make you notice the difference between it and a petrol
powered car?

Hmmm... maybe instead of a turbo charged diesel, a Super charged
diesel instead?
LOL would you have to wait for the glow plug before hitting the "I" key?

In the 1950's Cummings Diesel entered a car in the Indy 500. it was not only the first diesel to race, but the first car at indy with a turbo charger. even though it tore up the track and the driver got pole position, they put the intake in a bad spot and it eventually sucked up all kinds of stuff into the motor and fried it.

Maybe an open wheeled diesel? - with a better intake location
Quote from Racer Y :uh, Diesel cars sounds like a good idea, but how could you tell? Especially if
the newer diesels perform at the same level as gas burning motors? What would
be there that would make you notice the difference between it and a petrol
powered car?

Well, the biggest difference I would say would be the big increase in torque, that can change the way you drive a car completely, also it might remove some of the stigma still surrounding diesels.

RPM?, well, the power band on my modded TDCi is from about 1500rpm and it doesnt stop pulling till it hits the governer, a shade over 5000rpm

Dan.
Quote from Racer Y : LOL would you have to wait for the glow plug before hitting the "I" key?

Glow plug only have to "glow" 1 sec at summertime, and max 5 secs at winter. So you make it sound like something big, when it's nothing.
Heh, would be interesting for longer races. The car is slower on the straights but, like Duracell, keeps going and going and going. Then when you finally need a pitstop, you realise the pit pumps only supply hi octane unleaded :doh:
Hate to be the party pooper but its energizer that's slogan is keeps going and going and going.....:P
As economic and reasonable as diesel engines may be, I've always found them to be very boring to drive - and that's something I don't look for in a racing game, even though it works out there in the traffic.

I've driven around ten cars with turbodiesel engines, and the same goes for all of them... probably the "best" of them was the '05 Audi A6 3.0TDi... but still boring.

I'm not a "petrolhead" though, as I would probably choose a diesel car myself if I was looking for a new car. In a racing simulation, I'm looking forward to driving something exciting, and I'm yet to witness a diesel that could achieve that.
Each to his own, but my latest car is one of the only cars I have owned that gives me a huge smile on my face everytime I drive it, why?, torque and power delivery, the acceleration from 50- as fast as you wanna go, in top gear is awesome.

And yes, I have owned fastish cars in the past, Renualt and Ford turbo's etc etc.

Dan.
Hell yeah, add a diesel car! I'm all for it. Probaby strange to hear from someone in the States, but I'm a big diesel head. Back in S1 days, I used LFSTweak to "create" a TDI-style engine for the XF, with a very similar power curve. It was a blast to drive! Lots of shortshifting and powering out of turns with torque.

And to counter the Diesel vs. petrol argument, I've seen Naturally-Aspirated Diesels make more hp than a similar size Petrol engine. A VW Rabbit with a 1.5 N/A diesel with a modified injection pump made about 77 crank hp, when it started with 53. Still had stock exhaust, intake, manifolds, etc... and it makes power all the way up to 6000 rpm. Compare the hp/torque curves to a 1.5 petrol engine, and the diesel will win with total "area under the curve" which is what counts.

For a final kick in the pants to you petrol heads, check out this truck that Gail Banks is making- a truck to compete in 24-hour road racing!!!!!

http://www.bankspower.com/DmaxTypeR.cfm

Diesels rule. Imagine a monster like that truck in LFS against the GTR cars. Hehe.

Brendan
Quote from Lord_Verminaard :Hell yeah, add a diesel car! I'm all for it. Probaby strange to hear from someone in the States, but I'm a big diesel head. Back in S1 days, I used LFSTweak to "create" a TDI-style engine for the XF, with a very similar power curve. It was a blast to drive! Lots of shortshifting and powering out of turns with torque.

NO... if you get a diesel into LFS, please don't let it be a TDI (fuel-injection), atleast it should be a commonrail.

Ok... your Mondeo ST Diesel is called Mondeo Titanium. So it's not a ST And 140mph is enough for all non-germans. So it's not enough for me Don't get me wrong, but diesel run out of air a bit near to vmax!

greets,
Warper
Quote from Warper :
Ok... your Mondeo ST Diesel is called Mondeo Titanium. So it's not a ST And 140mph is enough for all non-germans. So it's not enough for me Don't get me wrong, but diesel run out of air a bit near to vmax!

greets,
Warper

No, the Titanium and the ST TDCi are 2 completely different models......

Dan.
Quote from danowat :
Ford Mondeo ST220, 0-60 7.6secs, 30-60 11.3 secs

okay maybe you'll think this is a stupid question but i'd rather be stupid for a moment and ask the question than not to ask it (and thus not to know the asnwer).SO:
how come the car goes 0-60 in x seconds but goes 30-60 in somewhat 2x seconds?
#38 - Vain
I don't think diesel cars fit too much into the game, because they usually rev much less responsive than petrol fueled cars. Though... might be worth the experience... Maybe a XRT-performance-like diesel-car?

Vain
Quote from apo3d :okay maybe you'll think this is a stupid question but i'd rather be stupid for a moment and ask the question than not to ask it (and thus not to know the asnwer).SO:
how come the car goes 0-60 in x seconds but goes 30-60 in somewhat 2x seconds?

I think the 30-60 figures are a "single gear" accelration, wheres a 0-60 figure is through the gears.

Dan.
#40 - jmkz
A diesel sport car would be cool indeed

I've been driving a Golf TDI with 150BHP the past year and it's a blast, and I'm pretty sure it will put up a great fight in race against a similar powered petrol car.

The Golf GTI with 150BHP petrol was actually a bit slower than the Diesel version
I'm not sure if someone mentioned LPG? Apparently it is less prone to spontaneous detonation, which is what the RON or Octane rating of fuel measures, and so LPG can be used with much larger Turbos and more aggressive engine tuning than Petrol or Diesel!
I would also like to see a diesel. Diesel has more energy in it than Petrol, but it can't go to such high revs, because the flame front travels too slowly for it to fully burn in time. This is why turbos are commonly added in order to increase cylinder pressure and thus burn more fuel per revolution of the engine.
Quote from jmkz :A diesel sport car would be cool indeed

I've been driving a Golf TDI with 150BHP the past year and it's a blast, and I'm pretty sure it will put up a great fight in race against a similar powered petrol car.

The Golf GTI with 150BHP petrol was actually a bit slower than the Diesel version

Off course, 2 reasons because Golf 150 bhp Diesel is faster than Petrol One,

1- Diesel has Turbocharged, try petrol unit with a turbocharger mmm more than 200 bhp easy , is not at same level of technology.

2- At city and daily use the planar torque curve of a diesel is more easy to take it power than a petrol one, that you need to move engine to rev high to take all its power.

I think introduce diesel cars in lfs is not logical.
-
(Dj-Aeri) DELETED by Dj-Aeri
Quote from Dj-Aeri :I want a Jhon Deere tractor for de S2 Final

lol

lol , fastest lap at blgp , mmmm 10 minutes ? lol
-
(Dj-Aeri) DELETED by Dj-Aeri
Quote from danowat :No, the Titanium and the ST TDCi are 2 completely different models......

Dan.

Nope... not in germany. There isn't a ST TDCi at all in germany. How much bhp does the ST TDCi have?

Greets,
Warper
Well, my dad used to own a Peugeot 306 Turbo diesel. This was very quick, and went for 117mph, but was hard to make it pick up from 80mph onwards, Thats the problem we had :s
Quote from AlfaLover :Off course, 2 reasons because Golf 150 bhp Diesel is faster than Petrol One,

1- Diesel has Turbocharged, try petrol unit with a turbocharger mmm more than 200 bhp easy , is not at same level of technology.

2- At city and daily use the planar torque curve of a diesel is more easy to take it power than a petrol one, that you need to move engine to rev high to take all its power.

I think introduce diesel cars in lfs is not logical.

Well, 1, the 150 bhp golf IS TURBO, the 1.8t to be exact. It did come in a 150hp version. Actually, the 150PD diesel "TDI-GTI" is faster than the 180 hp GTI if I remember correctly.

And 2nd, Diesels can rev to 6000 rpm + if tuned properly. The 1.8T, even modified, doesnt do much past 6000 rpm.

Diesels have been showing up in various forms of motorsports lately and are VERY competitive. Also, the fuel economy savings over a long race really play into the strategy and make for some interesting results.

I say go for it.

Brendan
Quote from Lord_Verminaard :Well, 1, the 150 bhp golf IS TURBO, the 1.8t to be exact. It did come in a 150hp version. Actually, the 150PD diesel "TDI-GTI" is faster than the 180 hp GTI if I remember correctly.

And 2nd, Diesels can rev to 6000 rpm + if tuned properly. The 1.8T, even modified, doesnt do much past 6000 rpm.

Diesels have been showing up in various forms of motorsports lately and are VERY competitive. Also, the fuel economy savings over a long race really play into the strategy and make for some interesting results.

I say go for it.

Brendan

you cant compare a 2000cc TDi with a modest(i think old) 1800cc Turbo engine ,the VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group) 1800cc is not a good example of a efective engine. i think is the oposite of effectiviness
(is possible you think old tecnology TDi vs Petrol Old Technology ).

the Honda civic 2.0 16V -> 200cv WITHOUT Supercharger.
Alfaromeo 1.6 TS -> 180bhp with autodelta supercharger and tuning
Alfaromeo 2.0 TS -> 230bhp with autodelta superchager and tuning.
www.autodelta.co.uk
What diesel cars can rev past 6000 RPM??? I am unaware of any that rev past 5500RPM, and petrol cars can rev way past diesel cars ie

Audi 2.0 FSI = Max power @ 6000, Max torque @ 3500
Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI = Max power 4000 RPM , Max torque @ 2000

The Honda S2000 2.0 produces 240 PS @ 8300,

But, i think we should have a small selection of diesel cars, but when you dont thrash them around for a few miles, they blow black carbon out, like they do in real life
Say what?? Well, the TDI is a 1.9 and is quite old technology. The head design is pretty much the same as all of VW's older IDI diesels from the 80's. Direct injection is nothing new, but I guess you could call the fancy computer controls "new technology". And you think the 1.8T is old?? Name another 4-cylinder car with 20 valves and progressive-intake timing?? I worked for VW for two years, I dont think you are going to sneak any VW facts past me.

Point is, every car in the world is compared to every car in the world. Sure, some might have advantages in other areas, but why do you think Honda Civics race Camaros on the drag strip? Not the smartest idea for the Honda driver but I've seen a few Civics beat Camaros. (my Camaro, for example)

I know a rally team here in the states that races a tuned TDI FWD Golf. They are competing in classes with SRT4 Neons, and Mitsu EVO's, and a few others, some turbo, some AWD, and they are winning many events. Some would say that there is no chance against the EVO but they are making it work somehow.

Brendan

Diesel car
(208 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG