The online racing simulator
Diesel car
(208 posts, started )
Good thread, yeah i think there is scope for diesels in LFS. There could be some smoke from the exhausts, I know people think there is none from the new diesels, but I've followed plenty Mondeo's on the motorway at 80mph plus, when they put their foot down there is a very slight puff of smoke. Not like there used to be on diesels though.

This has all been mentioned in other posts though, rotary engines, LPG, diesel, biofuels, hybrids.... doubt the devs will be finished by 2010 if we keep adding stuff for them to do
Quote from Lord_Verminaard :Say what?? Well, the TDI is a 1.9 and is quite old technology. The head design is pretty much the same as all of VW's older IDI diesels from the 80's. Direct injection is nothing new, but I guess you could call the fancy computer controls "new technology". And you think the 1.8T is old?? Name another 4-cylinder car with 20 valves and progressive-intake timing?? I worked for VW for two years, I dont think you are going to sneak any VW facts past me.

Point is, every car in the world is compared to every car in the world. Sure, some might have advantages in other areas, but why do you think Honda Civics race Camaros on the drag strip? Not the smartest idea for the Honda driver but I've seen a few Civics beat Camaros. (my Camaro, for example)

I know a rally team here in the states that races a tuned TDI FWD Golf. They are competing in classes with SRT4 Neons, and Mitsu EVO's, and a few others, some turbo, some AWD, and they are winning many events. Some would say that there is no chance against the EVO but they are making it work somehow.

Brendan

The most avanced diesel technology is Common Rail , Mercedes, Honda and a lot of brands use it (except VAG), is more progresive and enlarge a lot engine live (i know of 250000km JTD engines with considerable agresive use, and runs like first day without problems.), (o! a detail this tech was developed by Fiat Group , and sold to Bosch group for build and expand it, Fiat desestimated TDi tech because an abusive use detroy engines).

and i don't talk about FSI. engines... the worst and expensive Direct fuel injection implementation...

Someone says : German knows a lot how to press screws, and Italians says how to do.

I don't continue in this line because this is a offtopic..
mi opinion is , is not needed Diesel engines in LFS.
Quote from AlfaLover :
German knows a lot how to press screws, and Italians says how to do.

You should think twice about your quote. First, not the complete VAG is not using common rail, cause the new Audi diesel's are common rail's, for example Audi A6 3.0 diesel. Second, you shouldn't take VAG, especially Volkswagen as an example for german engineering. I don't know any car manufacture which is more successfull then BMW and Porsche... And what about the third reason: Alfa seems to be your favorite, what about the Top-Manager at Alfa? Italians say how to do? It seems to be exactly the opposite way - a german directs the italian work

Greetz,
Warper
Ive seen Audi's puff out quite a bit, when they try to pull away from you. Its not as bad as the oldish days. (my pug used to blow enless amounts out when it has been used around time)

I think a good diesel would be quite good on LFS, but i think if the devs were to put this in, this would come in S3.

OH also. A TDI car can out preform a Petrol car, but thats because the diesel engine has a turbo. A Petrol turbo engine can way out preform a Diesel turbo.

Clarkson proved this with the new BMW. BMW said it could get around faster than a petrol one, and it failed badly
#55 - jmkz
it's impossible to own "LFS full" since it's not even in BETA phase
#56 - Vain
LFS will stop when no one wants to develop LFS any further. That may be yesterday, today, in two weeks or in 23 years.

Vain
Quote from danowat :Ahh, the good ol' diesel stereotypes, diesel engines have come a LONG way in the last 3 or so years.
They no long produce anymore exhaust smoke than petrol engined car, plus they no longer sound like tractors......

Come on devs, surely it wouldnt be too hard to "tweak" the XF to make it have a diesel engine?.

Dan.

I raced a 3 Series BMW Turbo Diesel (M spec) at Bedford Autodrome. With the racing chip, it kicked out a lot of black smoke (not thick mind you). It didnt sound too bad, and was ****ing awesome coming out of the corners with all that torque.
i think it's time to ressurect this thread, now that the Audi R10 was revealed...

it is a successor of LeMans winning Audi R8, and it has a 5.5 l V12 diesel!
(650 hp, 1100 NM (811 lb-ft))

i think this car will prove that diesels are no longer just boring truck engines, like they were before...

btw i saw a footage from testing and there was no smoke from exhaust at all
Looking forward to watch the R10 in action.... Was it the official launch video u saw? If u have a link to it, posting would be appriciated
the video was live stream, and it's not available anymore...

but they said there wil be an "on-demand" version after some time...

the link is http://www.audi.de/r10
Ok, thx... Did u get any idea of how it sounded? I have heard F1 racing boats with diesel engines, and that was really something. Just hoping the R10 will spit out some beatiful tones too.
sounds a bit strange, but nice...

engine has a deep tone, but when revved up, you hear more of the turbos whistling than the engine itself...

and Kristensen said that it's harder to drive then petrol cars, because when accelerating in third gear, he can't hear the engine over the wind noise

edit: video of launch
Thx for the vid! That thing sounded like a plane..... Me likes
Can't get the link to work. AVI-version?
That whole domain seems to be gone to me.
I do own a diesel car (BMW 3 Series, 320td 185hp/400NM chipped ) so I would REALLY welcome sporty diesel engines in LFS.
For ppl thinking that this kind of engines sound like *§$"=§ in general, I'll give you a link to see/hear that:
http://www.eisenmann-technik.d ... kat_audio_ovs_rbrk_33.php

http://www.eisenmann-technik.d ... kat_audio_ovs_rbrk_33.php

http://feies.com/bmwblog/images/bmw120d_4.jpghttp://feies.com/bmwblog/images/bmw120d_5.jpghttp://feies.com/bmwblog/images/bmw120d_2.jpg
That nice thing is a BMW 120d (Diesel) Racecar, even the pic is sayin 'Coming soon' so I hope there's a chance for one in LFS. I personally would prefer a car like this make of BMW:

http://www.racingsportscars.co ... Zolder-2005-08-28-098.jpg
Above link shows a E46 3-series 24h-Racecar of Dunlop Extreme Team
Mad Rear Wing! :headbang:

What do you think?
I think even a diesel version of the XF GTi (with an engine like the Skoda Fabia vRS) would be a great addition.

Dan,
Quote from danowat :I think even a diesel version of the XF GTi (with an engine like the Skoda Fabia vRS) would be a great addition.

Dan,

Yeah, but with the massive torque and the heavier engine, the FWD's would be even more likely to uuuuundersteer and traction problems will occur (just like in real life)
Quote from AndroidXP :And while you're at it, add some hybrid cars too.

lol

haha
i just had a good laugh..

i thought we're racing here...
diesel cars aint really much in racing.. or are they ?
when it comes to long races, at least in europe they shurely are!
http://motoring.iafrica.com/ro ... /BEHIND%20THE%20WHEEL.htm

In LFS Diesels would fit quite perfect when there are long races, just change your tires and you are done!

Even in Le Mans (really famous 24h race) Diesel engines were used successfully! Audi R10 is the key
#70 - mysi
Sport car with TDI engine
Check out this video!
i know none of you probly have heard a 2 stroke diesel engine....XF Dti two stroke diesel...all wheel drive...probly 250 hp....
Two Stroke diesels aren't that unheard of you know.
Give us those diesels!
Just found some interesting lines, maybe the devs could arrange another deal with BMW?

Gavin Ward, BMW:
Quote :
"Although diesel racing cars have recently become fashionable it was back in 1998 that a BMW 320d driven by Briton Steve Soper, among others, achieved a landmark victory in the Nürburgring 24 Hours. This is generally accepted as the first victory for a diesel car in a top line international event. Now customers wanting to emulate this success can buy a 120d car with a racing package.
Powered by a 1,995cc diesel engine, the BMW Motorsport-equipped 120d provides 245hp and 450Nm of torque from its modified engine. A lowered suspension with adjustable anti-roll bars and dampers feature along with 332mm front disc brakes with six-piston callipers and 284mm rear disc brakes with four-piston callipers. Lightweight BBS alloy wheels, a full aero package including rear diffuser, and a stripped out weight-saving interior also serve to increase performance."

---> Read more here <---

http://www.automobilsport.com/ ... n-2006/bmwz4coupeneu2.jpg
Quote from AndyC :Sorry but diesels are not to my liking with the main reason being they sound bloody awful.

Andy.

But they'll own any average priced petrol car on the road today!!
-
(MonkOnHotTinRoof) DELETED by MonkOnHotTinRoof

Diesel car
(208 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG